I need some ACOUSTIC guitar experts on the subject of steel VS nylon...

No more trouble with barre chords

Hey man, I used to have lot of trouble with barre chords years ago but I got a varigrip hand exerciser and used that for about a week before I saw vast improvement in my finger strength and dexterity.
I just carried it around with me everywhere I went and used it whenever I had a minute or two, even when driving ( I had an automatic! ).
I had an earlier model, but this should work the same way:
amazon dot com -Planet Waves Varigrip Adjustable Hand Exerciser

You can go to any guitar store and pick up one of these or something similar.
Practice with your fingertips, straight up and down like in the last pic on the amazon listing.
One finger up and down at a time, index, middle, ring, pinky, repeat, etc.
I could hold the barre chords down easily and was able to nail some speedy Metallica leads that were out of my reach earlier.
Give it a try, you should see a huge difference.

guitar strings

totally different sounds. classical , flamengo nylon ..... otherwise steel. if you want easier action check out different strings

totally different sounds. classical , flamengo nylon ..... otherwise steel. if you want easier action check out different strings

Spark it up, Sparky :thumbs up:

I made this thread asking for EXPERT opinions. What do I get? I get replies without reading to even see what's going. Do we need random drive-by replies just because it's a thread about guitars? I think not! :laughings:

It took a while, but I think I found a product that will do the job done that I'm asking for! Kind of expensive, but if they last a while and keep their tone for a bit longer than regular strings it might be worth paying for.

John Pearse® Classical Guitar Thomastik John Pearse Strings Silver Plated/Nylon Wound Ball End .016 - .043, THO
Make sure you read the reviews so you can get an idea of what they do :D

I love the John Pearse strings. They give the extra zing to your nylon string guitar. However I ended up replacing the high E string with a regular low tension Nylon string because it made my guitar sound too much like an acoustic steel string guitar. Now I have a nice balanced sound. But for you these strings may be perfect just as they are. They will definitely change the tone of your guitar towards the steel string sound but without the tension. I don't think I will go back to regular Nylons again.

Last edited:
Keep your elbow out away from your body on that F bar chord (if you're not already doing so). That should reduce cramping.

It only really cramps after playing for hours and hours LOL! I think I missed making the point and ended up sounding more like I was struggling with my guitar playing. I'm not really struggling. I'm just comparing the difference between when I play steel string and nylon. Nylon is just so extremely EASY for me to play that I want to switch over completely. I use to have this "Be a man" and "suck it up and learn to play" type attitude about playing guitar. Most of my friends always complained about me using medium strings etc. "BE A MAN!"

It was a little weird playing the nylon at first because of the wider neck, but after a few weeks of it I'm just finding it to be too enjoyable. I'm not sure I'll like going back to steel string. It's been a few weeks and I'm not sure I wanna go back to it! I want a Martin 00-18G with some Thomastik strings... LOL

It took a while, but I think I found a product that will do the job done that I'm asking for! Kind of expensive, but if they last a while and keep their tone for a bit longer than regular strings it might be worth paying for.

John Pearse® Classical Guitar Thomastik John Pearse Strings Silver Plated/Nylon Wound Ball End .016 - .043, THO
Make sure you read the reviews so you can get an idea of what they do :D

Can you use a ball end? or do your strings attach with a knot?

I have a ovation and when playing long gigs it always has light electric strings and plays easy of course you do not get any projection unless it is plugged in but as most the time it is I get the ease of playing it when a acoustic sound is needed for the song
Tim

I have a ovation and when playing long gigs it always has light electric strings and plays easy of course you do not get any projection unless it is plugged in but as most the time it is I get the ease of playing it when a acoustic sound is needed for the song
Tim

I hear that buddy. This crappy nylon sting guitar I bought for 30 dollars is surprisingly loud with a pick. I can only imagine how much better it would be with a decent solid wood guitar or a vintage solid wood and with the right strings it'll be perfect. Just need to find a real lutihier in my area, no thanks to google. The nearest one is 6 hour away from me...

You now need to learn lesson one...

Do NOT get an Ovation...:guitar:

Thank me later...;)

:thumbs up:

I had one and HATED it. It has this round plastic bowl and it would constantly slide while I was playing. How could such a retarded design become so popular?

I had one and HATED it. It has this round plastic bowl and it would constantly slide while I was playing. How could such a retarded design become so popular?

Because back in the early 80s, it was the only commercially available acoustic with electric plug-in capability. If you're standing up with a strap around your shoulder the sliding isn't a problem.

Yes, with a proper set-up, an acoustic steel string can be as easy to play as a nylon, but the way you play will have to change again. The nylon will always feel a bit different simply because it is... but a steel string can have the action lowered, frets and neck adjusted, and it will get a lot easier, but we are talking apples and oranges here... although they are both guitars (fruits) they are fundamentally different from each other... otherwise, you would buy a guitar style you like, and be able to put either type of string on it and it would work fine... Have you considered going to an electric/acoustic and carrying a small portable amp? the E/A guitar can be set a lot lighter quite easily, and your volume problem is solved... there are even some pretty good battery powered amps available a reasonable prices... just saying...

Yes, with a proper set-up, an acoustic steel string can be as easy to play as a nylon, but the way you play will have to change again. The nylon will always feel a bit different simply because it is... but a steel string can have the action lowered, frets and neck adjusted, and it will get a lot easier, but we are talking apples and oranges here... although they are both guitars (fruits) they are fundamentally different from each other... otherwise, you would buy a guitar style you like, and be able to put either type of string on it and it would work fine... Have you considered going to an electric/acoustic and carrying a small portable amp? the E/A guitar can be set a lot lighter quite easily, and your volume problem is solved... there are even some pretty good battery powered amps available a reasonable prices... just saying...

Nope haven't tried that, but you know what a PA would be fun to play with. Only thing is that I don't plan on playing live anytime soon and it could be a waste of money. I'm still leaning towards staying with a nylon guitar. It's just butter, I play real good on it and I like the way it sounds. With the right strings I can get it at that half way point where it has that nylon vibe with a little more of that steel string sound. I'm totally down with that right now, it's just I tend to change my mind and go though guitars like normal people change their underwear. So, no telling what I'll be doing in a few years from now.

I repeat, try Tomastik-Infeld Custom S strings. You will get a new take on acoustic guitar playing.

Back