let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
I just recently got my basement studio set up. Nothing fancy, just a young guy trying enjoy his hobbies, but it's the first time I've had a dedicated space for my recording endeavours other than my tiny ass room, so I like it. I'm about to replace that macbook pro with an iMac, so I can have a dedicated studio computer. Also getting myself a copy of Logic, I had cubase at the time, so I had to use garageband since that's what my friend recorded in.
2192553413_1cf985656e.jpg

2193341958_b9d32194c9.jpg

2193340920_4ccdced4a7.jpg

I need some recommendations of what to hang on the walls (they're concrete) that won't cost very much. I know I can use blankets, but should they be thin and sturdy like a mover's blanket or thick and fluffy like a comforter?

I need some recommendations of what to hang on the walls (they're concrete) that won't cost very much. I know I can use blankets, but should they be thin and sturdy like a mover's blanket or thick and fluffy like a comforter?

Take what you can get cheap. I have had good luck with anything that has some wieght to it. I would think a moving blanket would work good.
Hit the good will and garage sales.

F.S.

Take what you can get cheap. I have had good luck with anything that has some wieght to it. I would think a moving blanket would work good.
Hit the good will and garage sales.

F.S.

+1. I've had great luck w/ the heavy furniture pads. My best friend was a delivery driver for a furniture store, so he used to grab them for me on occasion. They're usually very dense, and have work pretty well for dampening.

Here's a little update on my little shed studio:

Just built the StudioRTA desk for my (6'x7') control room.

Got my hifi, for tranferring vinyl/cassette to cd/mp3s and speakers for reference.

Still got quite a few things to do, including lots of absorption panels, and getting my pc, interface, monitors and, most importantly, lava lamp, down there, but it's coming along. :D

Attachments

• Image049.jpg
    Image049.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,181
Well I did work at a gay club downtown for a while:D:D:D

Na not really. Maybe a guitar center or at a studio. I don't get out much, so ya got me.

F.S.

:eek:
That is hilarious!
A girl I know always tells guys who are pestering her with the "Don't I know you from somewhere" kind of lines and she would say that perhaps he saw her at work, and he'd be like,"yeah!" and then she'd say she worked at the VD clinic.
:)

Tim

Altitude...

I've heard that absorption can be good for sound control in a studio... but isn't using a child's diaper... WITH THE CHILD STILL IN IT!... a little much? :eek: :D

Velvet Elvis

Altitude...

I've heard that absorption can be good for sound control in a studio... but isn't using a child's diaper... WITH THE CHILD STILL IN IT!... a little much? :eek: :D

Velvet Elvis

Used ones work even better but dealing with the health dept. is too much of a hassle

Love all the pics of everyone's studio. Mine is not nearly as elaborate as most on here but it works for me. It's in an open loft. I don't know if that helps or hurts but I have fun.

Attachments

• DSCN1959 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1959 - Copy.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,136
  • DSCN1962 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1962 - Copy.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,121
  • DSCN1963 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1963 - Copy.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,121
  • DSCN1961 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1961 - Copy.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,119
A few more pics

Attachments

• DSCN1968 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1968 - Copy.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,107
  • DSCN1970 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1970 - Copy.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,102
  • DSCN1969 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1969 - Copy.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,105
  • DSCN1965 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1965 - Copy.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,109
Great loft! Your space seems more like mine, designed for live rehearsal and jamming and recording. I bet it's pretty reverberant in there, though.

Having heavy curtains and things around both upstairs and down might help dampen it down-- but I bet all that space could really get some great room sound going on!

Very cool. :cool:

Fascinating pictures guys.:)

I'd post shots of my mixing and tracking rooms, but I'd have to clean them first:mad: and that's never going to happen.:p

Great loft! Your space seems more like mine, designed for live rehearsal and jamming and recording. I bet it's pretty reverberant in there, though.

Having heavy curtains and things around both upstairs and down might help dampen it down-- but I bet all that space could really get some great room sound going on!

Very cool. :cool:

Thanks, I love playing up there. It's like a very tall stage.LOL The room is pretty big, about 25' x 30' and an average of 20' or so tall. The opposite side of the loft slopes down. A frame type house.

Attachments

• jplhouse snow angle - Copy.jpg
    jplhouse snow angle - Copy.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,077
jplive,

Definitely read up on sound treatment on here and the often recommended websites like http://johnlsayers.com/ http://realtraps.com/ and so on. Realtraps is run by Ethan Winer who posts to this board with friendly advice to do-it-yourselfers. A good guy-- buy from him if you can, but if you want to DIY, 703 is where it's at.

Here's my studio, post 1745 in this thread. If you want to treat your room with 703 panels like I have, it's really not too expensive-- and I built mine in a few hours. If you take your time, yours can even look more professional. There is 703 under the linen flag, too.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=2719088&postcount=1745

Good luck, great pics, and welcome to HR/bbs!

And my rockstar on "stage"

April-1-07-001.jpg
[/QUOTE]

what a cute little one....and on the mic already:cool::cool::cool:

now how bout sending me some money in that fat wallet you got on top the desk daddy......

Back