let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.5%

• Total voters
KrizHS1.jpg

how do those se3's soud set up like that? Most x-y setups place the transducers right next to eachother... yours are a few cm apart...

You are speaking about X-Y recording method. By this you will get a good sound but not wide stereo perspective of the instrument.
During the record on the photo I used ORTF recording method. Its advantage is the wider stereo, different sound and the fact it is recorded in the same way like our ears hear. I have a nice results with that.

Here is some info about both methods:
http://homerecording.about.com/od/microphones101/ss/stereo_mics_3.htm
http://www.guitarists.net/lessons/view.php?id=170

Last edited:
Looking on the 2-nd photo I suppose that you must have a problem with boomy basses in your recordings.

You have there acoustic treatment solving only high and mid range, nothing for basses. Consider any Rockwool based bass traps placed to the corners of the room.

Otherwise it is a nice place to work.

i actually dont have much trouble with boomy basses, but I am planning on adding a lot of treatment, I just barely moved into the space, you can see from the pics there still no trim around the doors or windows or the baseboards... I'll be looking on here for bass absorber plans, once I finish paying off the construction materials, but all of the walls have soundboard behind them, and the rounded corners are packed with 4 layers of R-23
so that helps some.

I just completed my new Studio which I built. Was the first thing I ever built, but it turned out pretty nice. It's 1150 Sq Feet - 2 Story Studio.

Studio First Floor has:
Control Room
Live Band Room
Isolation Room
Mic Closet
1st Floor Lounge Area/Bar
Restroom

Studio Second Floor has:
Huge Lounge / Pro Tools Mixdown Area

I just built this studio because recording is a hobbie of mine, but since I just added a couple of new GRACE Mic Pres, and the Studio turned out pretty nice, I might think about renting out the space, or bringing some clients in and make a small business out of it. :rolleyes:

The building was built as close as I could build it to "Studio" Specs as far as the whole building being exterior double sheeted, having double drywall on the walls with Green Glue in between each of the sheets, having the Live Room TOTALLY decoupled from the rest of the building and not touching anywhere, splayed ceilings, high ceilings, double windows, double doors, etc etc etc...and the list goes on. :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, I just got my Certificate of Occupancy this Saturday in the mail. It's officially done (for the most part)

Here are some pics....enjoy: ;)

1a

2a

3a

4a

5a

6a

7a

8a

9a

10a

11a

12a

13a

14a

Thanks
AJ ;)

Outstanding!

Very Nice indeed. I really enjoyed looking at your job, good luck with getting your clients and wish you all the luck in the world in your recording projects. :)

Newatthis...

You don't know anyone who likes trying to sing Whitesnake and Iron Maiden tunes do you?

LOL....actually one of my recent band mates played with the drummer from Iron Maiden I do believe. lol ;) But yes, I am a keyboard whacker, as you can tell from the pics, I have 12 synths Midi'd up,,,,and along with that obviously goes the 80's big hair rock..LOL :D :D

Peace
AJ

Thanks Drakaland.. ;)

Now I guess I better learn how to record and engineer,,,huh?? Actually I built this just to play around in as a hobbie, but was talking to a pro engie the other day, he saw the place and he almost has me convinced to be a "passive owner" of the Studio and rent it out. he will rent it, and record in it, and I will just collect the $$$$.

So that might be the direction I go to. :cool: We will see.

AJ

Naw.. not that... just the studio configuration with the mixing desk in the corner next to doors kinda reminded me of the layout in this video.

Too Funny

Looking at it again, I see you have a window on the side.

he's a paying customer. you'd be amazed what you can do when they're paying ;-) plus he'll fix it with some vocal effects and it'll sound just like Britney. :eek:

Back