"YESTERDAY" - mix #1--final mixes for new album

GONZO-X

i've got 10 songs almost finished for a new album release.
any suggestions on final tweaks, eq issues, translation issues, etc, are appreciated.

this is mix #1 of this song.

i'll only leave these up a few days each.

Issues:
i mixed the kick really up front on this one,
i like the way it drives, but i'm on the fence over whether or not it's too much.
ideas?

Cool song. You've got a good drive on the rhythm section.

L/R seems a little unbalanced overall. Left seems kind of washy and full, and right is more crisp and empty.

*edit*
I really like that shift around 3:25. Cool!

Sounds really good. Very smooth playing.

I am noticing the same balance issue vomitHatsteve mentioned. There just seems to be such a strong contracts between the left and right sides.

I like the drum panning.

I likey! Would enjoy seeing this performed live...... I'm no expert and in the end it is a subjective personal "what you're going for" thing but on the balance thing you have what seems to me to be some things VERY hard panned L&R and some things smack dab in the middle of mono land...You might experiment with bringing the L&R's slightly inward and spreading the smack dabs in the middle slightly left and right i.e. make the snare track stereo and pan it a few hairs L&R to give it some width.... So I notice how you move the harmonies around but they are always directional ( single track ) moving around whereas spreading them in stereo might have a nice effect also.... I'm old and been here a long time but when it comes to mixing I'm a newb so as free advice ....remember..... "you get what you pay for"...

Fo Sho, as it is, it's a cool tune dude

Cool song. You've got a good drive on the rhythm section.

L/R seems a little unbalanced overall. Left seems kind of washy and full, and right is more crisp and empty.

*edit*
I really like that shift around 3:25. Cool!

hey steve! thanks for listening to this one.....
so, on the right side, i've got the distorted synth playing, hard panned.....
and several of the acoustic tracks...
and one of the elec rhythm tracks...
on the left, i've got solo guitar, one elec rhythm, and a couple of acoustics....
maybe i'll flip a few of the tracks left to right, vice versa, and see if that affects the balance better.
good ear, thanks!

Sounds really good. Very smooth playing.

I am noticing the same balance issue vomitHatsteve mentioned. There just seems to be such a strong contracts between the left and right sides.

I like the drum panning.
hi bleed,
so you hear it the same way as steve, good to know......
working on that issue..... tonight!

I likey! Would enjoy seeing this performed live...... I'm no expert and in the end it is a subjective personal "what you're going for" thing but on the balance thing you have what seems to me to be some things VERY hard panned L&R and some things smack dab in the middle of mono land...You might experiment with bringing the L&R's slightly inward and spreading the smack dabs in the middle slightly left and right i.e. make the snare track stereo and pan it a few hairs L&R to give it some width.... So I notice how you move the harmonies around but they are always directional ( single track ) moving around whereas spreading them in stereo might have a nice effect also.... I'm old and been here a long time but when it comes to mixing I'm a newb so as free advice ....remember..... "you get what you pay for"...

Fo Sho, as it is, it's a cool tune dude

hey tae!
thanks for listening and offering up the cool advice.
yes, on this mix i ended up with a lot of hard panned tracks.
when i started the mix, i had the backup vox hard left and right,
i had the drum overheads pulled in more,
and kinda soft-panned a few of the other things...
the lead vox track, i didn't want super loud, but without the hard panning, it was kind of swamping the lead vox.
the hard pan leaves that vocal very clear, without it being cluttered.

so, now i'm going to go back like you guys have suggested, and play with the panning a bit...
at the very least, i'll automate several tracks and bring them in in sections where the vox doesn't happen..
maybe that will sound a little more dynamic!
thanks guys

---------- Update ----------

thanks to all who participated
taking this one down now,
moving onto the next one.

Back