Yamaha MG10/2 ?

Laynestaley

Newbie Shmewbie
I’m planning on buying a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer, but I just want to check if it’s the right tool for what I need.
I wanna go from the line-outs of my audiophile 2496 to the mixer so I can hook up my monitors and headphones to it. I also want to use the yamaha as a mic preamp so I guess I’ll have to go from the line outs from the mixer back to my soundcard, right?
I also use a V-amp2 to record some guitar so I want to hook that up to the mixer as well.
Can I do all this with the Yamaha MG10/2 or do I need something else? It just seems strange to send a signal to the mixer, through to the soundcard, then back to the mixer to get to the monitors.. Is this the way to go?
Thanks in advance.

It works. I use the MG16/4 for the same purpose. There are numerous ways of connecting your gear, but you can connect the inserts from the mixer to the inputs of the Audiophile when you are using the preamps in the mixer, or you can run from the main outs to the audiophile, either one will work (you just have to pan your two tracks far left and far right, then they go to the card from the main L and main R).

However, it gets a little tricky, but you'll learn it eventually. If you are usng the main outs to send your signals, then you can't monitor on the mains, as this would set up a loop sending your card output right back in (this won't happen if you use the inserts to send to the card).

Consider a few more bucks and go to the 12/4 mixer, then you can connect to the card via the alt 1-2 outs, and monitor on the mains.

cstockdale said:

Consider a few more bucks and go to the 12/4 mixer, then you can connect to the card via the alt 1-2 outs, and monitor on the mains.

I agree. I went to buy the 10/2 and the sales guy talked me into the 12/4. I'm glad he did

Back