which software for leveling volumes between songs

kesterdevine

OK, so technically I'm not a newbie anymore, but I still have newbie questions. So here goes...

What software do you use/suggest to bring the levels of songs on a mixed CD to equal volume levels?

Also, what is the best/easiest method for raising the volume on individual songs? (other than hiring a mastering engineer) ;-)

I have Sound Forge and I think I should be able to use it for these tasks, but I'm not sure.

THANKS,
Kester

Try the "Compressor/Limiter" feature in Wave Hammer or the "Normalize" feature. I use SF also, i think they both work well. Just mess with the settings till you get where you want to be. Good Luck.

Just do keep in mind that once it's "squished" it's SQUISHED. If you ever plan on actually sending it out to be mastered, make sure you keep the originals.

The last thing most mastering engineers think about is sheer volume - It WILL damage the sound permanently. Most "volume" during mastering comes from techniques that cannot be achieved in Sound Forge or WaveLab...

That being said, WaveHammer, L1, L2, etc. can give you reasonable results IF it's not abused. The "power" should already be in the mix. Volume adjustment should be a "tweak" - not a mission...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

That's a great point John. After you get all your tracks recorded, should you mix a version without effects, comp. etc.. and send that for mastering?

Effects & compressors are fine on the tracks & groups as needed. What you want to avoid is overcompression or EQ of the stereo buss - Once it's there, it's there forever.

There's a "Guide to Mixing for Mastering" on my site somewhere... That might answer a question or two...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Also be aware of the "normalize" features in software.....not only will it bring the levels up but it will also raise your noise floor.

just some advice....
slim

tex is right....i get a good laugh off of the quality of the mixes i've been doing lately.....the only thing that makes me think about volume is when someone else listens to it and asks me how i got it that loud. i havent had to use a normalizer yet and with the way its sounding..i dont have to.you can double and triple tracks sometimes to take the place of normalizing.

thanks for the feedback everybody

I appreciate the advice. I am still trying to find a simple way to make the volumes the same between different tracks on a CD.
I compile lots of different demos of various songs, and small compilations of my work. It would be preferable if there wasn't too much difference between the volume level of the individual songs. Is there a software that will balance out the volume differences between songs? This is not for a major release, but still for collections that I would like to have an overall professional quality. Thanks again!

Back