Votes: 46 6.7%
  • Mapex

Votes: 49 7.2%
  • Taye

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • other

Votes: 107 15.6%

• Total voters
I play a 6 piece custom maple kit with all Tama hardware. Tama stands and Iron Cobra chain drive. Too many snares to single just one out, but I really do like my Yamaha custom birch with the wooden rims. All Zildjian cymbals. A vintage 24" Avedis ride, a vintage 22" Avedis sizzle ride (on the left side), and all Custom A crashes and splash. Hats are a 15" K bottom with a 15" Custom A fast crash on top (great sizzle).

I like my vintage Tempro kit. Which is kind of Pearl... I have an old Yamaha Recording kit in fusion sizes, the toms are nice, the 20x16 kick sucks.

Aside from that, I make my own too, cause why not?

I use Yamaha because they were on sale (70% Off) and I don't know any better. Great set BTW! GC people are really numbnuts sometimes.

I bought some Keller shells that were drilled and edged already (by John from American Drum Parts), some nice single-point lugs and quality hardware, and assembled the drums myself (including a nice natural tung oil finish). Sounds better than any retail kit I've ever heard, for significantly cheaper.

Pictures and sound clip available here:

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=218629

S

Last edited:
I got a Pacific Drums Platinum kit about 2-1/2 years ago. I chose them because I could order the sizes I wanted instead of being forced to go with a "standard" kit. I don't remember the tom depths, but I originally got a 12", a 13", and a 16" floor tom; I've since added a 14" floor tom. I got a 16 x 20 bass with no tom mount, but with a shell-mounted ride cymbal holder. My snare is a Pacific Ace, kinda looks like a Black Beauty.

It wasn't asked, but all of my hardware is Pacific 900 series, with a DW 7000 double bass pedal.

Cymbals are Sabian Xs20's; 12" Splash, 14" Rock Hats, 16" Rock Crash, 18" Rock Crash, 18" China, and an 18" Crash/Ride with six rivets equally spaced 2" from the edge.

I briefly considered going with DW, but as a semi-pro I just couldn't justify the cost difference over the Pacifics, which are some really good-sounding drums. The 900 hardware is rock solid and very sturdy. I chose the Xs20's based on both price and the sound, which is very good.

I've been playing long enough that I can impress with my licks; I don't have to do it with my gear. I essentially had an unlimited budget, but I bought what I wanted, and I'm quite happy with all of my choices...

I play a DW which is very nice but I will be the first to admit that you pay a few extra bucks for the brand. My second choice would be a maple custom yamaha or a Pro M Mapex. I use to have a Pro M and it is an incrediable value for a drum set.

My son, (age 12) has a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive kit in dark nickel metallic - 22" x 18" bass drum, 10" x 8" rack tom, 12" x 10" rack tom, 14" x 12" and 16" x 14" floor toms. Tama Artwood super maple 14" x 5.5" snare drum; Zildjian 'A' Custom 13" mastersound hi-hats, Zildjian 'A' custom 17" crash, Zildjian 'A' 20" ride, Zildjian 'A' 15" crash, Paiste Alpha 8" splash. I think it sounds amazing for the money, and it's an incredibly well-made kit.

Mapex Meridian Maple in bop sizes, occasionally with a Tama Starclassic brass snare (tuned low) in place of the stock maple (tuned high). I can't believe how great the Meridian Maples feel, sound and look for a middle-of-the-road price. Highly recommended, if anyone is looking.

I play Ludwig Classic Maple with 2 mounted and 2 floor toms. But, as with most things, there's more than one that has good quality. I've heard some pretty crappy drum kits played by good drummers that made them sound pretty good.

Ive come from playing Pearl many years ago and finally upgrading to Sonor around 5 years ago. Never looked back!

Heres my custom made Designer kit...

IMG_1161.jpg

Back