• Mapex

Votes: 49 7.2%
  • Taye

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • other

Votes: 107 15.6%

• Total voters

SMX_Dizzy

Hey. I was just wondering what drums people play around here. Myself...i'm a Pearl guy. To me they just are the flat-out best. Thats just my opinion, and surely others have different opinions too. Please VOTE!

Thanks!

I've been playing the same Gretsch kit since 1986! I'm using a Pearl snare now as the original snare's shell got warped over the years.

picostudios said:
Let me see a photo MadAudio!
I'll have to take some new pictures and post again later. FWIW, the kit was originally a 7-piece (4 melodic toms, ie, top heads only) but over the years I've gone back to the standard 5-piece configuration.

Opinions are like...

In the poll you can only choose one drum co., but many of us drummers have more than one kit, from more than one drum co.- and yes there are many manufacturers left off the list.

Sorry, Dizzy, but I never liked Pearl, so I can't agree with you that they are "the flat-out best". Maybe if you said 'Brady' or 'Noble & Cooley' or Baltimore Drums' or 'African Drum. Co.' ...

It's interesting to look back and see where our "opinions" come from:

When I first played a Pearl kit as a teenager, I could never get the two mounted toms to sit together, or place them where I needed them, plus they sounded like crap. Now, obviously I'm a little older (cough) and maybe a little wiser (maybe) ... I know that it was a low-line kit and the heads needed to be changed, but I still can't change my opinion.

I do, however, own a Pearl bass drum pedal that I really like.

So what's my point? I dunno, what was the point of this poll? :rolleyes:

I respect your opinion. Different people have different opinions, and that is totally acceptable. I just wanted to create the poll b/c 1) i was bored 2) i just wanted to see what everyone played. I realized I left a lot of companies off, but I went up to the poll's limit. Sorry.

RezN8 said:
When I first played a Pearl kit as a teenager, I could never get the two mounted toms to sit together...

Ya know, I really admire the quality of Pearl's hardware and shells (and sound) except that damn tom mounting system of theirs! (comic book guy) "That is the worst idea EVER!" I don't want a pipe sticking in my drum!! I know the newer series use a rims style system where it doesn't protrude into the shell, but that's where my problem with the ease of positioning come in.

That damn PIPE SYSTEM! AAaaaaarrrrgh!!! It even looks like plumbing!! I wanna buy a Pearl set and install a toilet handle by the tom mounts. See if any one notices or if they feel right at home.

Ooh, ooh!! Maybe mics that look like shower heads? :D :D

Last edited:
I have a 1960's Sonar 3 piece, made into a 5 peice thanks to a premier snare and an add a tom kit made by pearl for $100. (Thank you Guitar Center!!!)
16" bass, 14" snare and floor tom, 12" sonar mounted tom & 10" pearl tom.

Pretty good soundin set, perfect for jazz players!

IMO, Pearl makes some great drums, but I would love to have a DW set. When it comes to marching drums, Pearl dominates, hands down. Again---IMO.

tama what else?

I play Tama drums due to the fact that they are mine and they sound better than yours which are not mine. No really there are so many good drums out there it really depends on what the drummer is comfortable with sound wise. I really like my starclassics. They are warm, loud and defined. Plus good heads make all the difference in the world. I really enjoy the coated evans heads. Right now I am in the middle of a science experiment with evans g2 clear heads. They are pretty darn good! they are LOUD but man the tone is great. Plus Mike portnoy plays starclassics nuff said.

Back