Votes: 46 6.7%
  • Mapex

Votes: 49 7.2%
  • Taye

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • other

Votes: 107 15.6%

• Total voters
Recently i was reunited with my German made Sonor kit bought in the early 90's, played like 3 times, then back into the boxes they went.

Paiste 2002's, Old Zil and Sabian up top.

Snare is a 1970's (I THINK) chrome Slingerland that came out of the Niles dumpster in the 80's.

A few friends and I used to have all kinds of pieced together stands and shells and pedals and various hoops and screws and banners and stuff all disgarded from Slingerland, it was great!

-Billy-

Sonar, DW, are great...
Pearl's are under rated.

But i still prefer the clear slingerlands with goldfish in them, they don't sound good but they look cool. :cool:

-Stew

PhilGood said:
Ya know, I really admire the quality of Pearl's hardware and shells (and sound) except that damn tom mounting system of theirs! (comic book guy) "That is the worst idea EVER!" I don't want a pipe sticking in my drum!! I know the newer series use a rims style system where it doesn't protrude into the shell, but that's where my problem with the ease of positioning come in.

That damn PIPE SYSTEM! AAaaaaarrrrgh!!! It even looks like plumbing!! I wanna buy a Pearl set and install a toilet handle by the tom mounts. See if any one notices or if they feel right at home.

Ooh, ooh!! Maybe mics that look like shower heads? :D :D

Are these close enough for you ??? :D

circa 1977 Pearl's with the single post out of the bass drum .

Attachments

• drivers seat 3.JPG
    drivers seat 3.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 41
  • full front x 1.JPG
    full front x 1.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
rudibass2 said:
Are these close enough for you ??? :D

circa 1977 Pearl's with the single post out of the bass drum .

Oh I have no doubt you can get the toms close! Not quite the drainage system used by Pearl today, but its almost as ugly.

"And the winner of the ugliest tom mounting system in the world goes to:.......PEARL!!!"

As if there were ever a doubt.

Pearl all the way for me. I'm glad there are many different types and makes,who wants to sound the same?
i have a mid '90's export 6 pc which seems to get better with age,or is that my ears? :confused: Also a 5 pc maple custom. 2 brass piccalo (12 +14") and a steve ferone sig (he signed the inside at a clinic,so it must sound better now? :rolleyes: ) i have loads of different hardware etc. I also have a heyman kit in the loft...know you talking serious bad hardware!!! :eek:

goodluck to ya all,

Heres my DW collectors series kit. I had it custom made for me with black hardware about 8 years ago and it still looks like its about a week old. Theres a 4th tom in there somewhere.

My baby

I play a Pearl MLX (maple shells), but use a 1960's Ludwig snare.

I love the Sonor kits I get to play at college though, they're great for funk/Hip-hop stuff

This may sound off, but I think it's a lot more interesting if you come across a lad who has assembled his kit from different percussion manufacturers. :eek:

Mapex, m birch, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
For a start I love the shells I have, they're my sorta sound and then theres so many other drum companies with overpriced, flawed kits, mapex give value for money and their kits are really well thought out.

I really dislike pearl and tama, their mounts and their overpricedness, shameful.

Have to reply to this one!

I play a Pearl masters birch 5 piece kit with piccolo snare on the side. I really like the set and too me it sounds very good. But I bought it because I got a good deal and I liked the look. Obviously Pearl has a good reputation and there components are always readily available.

Bottom line is in todays drum market any top notch set should sound great. There are so many quality manufacturers with all these high tech machining methods. Wouldn't most people agree it all is a matter of tuning and personal preference?

I've got an okay Tama 7-piece (5 toms, not 2 kicks). Ideally I'd have a Yamaha hipgig or a Gretsch Catalina Club 4-piece, though. There's a drumshop close by that has a 20s or 30s Leedy kit that's been sitting in the cases for 50 years. I want it desperately, but it's sooo expensive. I also know a guy who has a vintage Slingerland, and another friend has some random pre-Ludwig kit, it's amazing.

I have a 5 pc Tama Rockstar set...yeah they aren't high end. But they go boom when i hit them. I think they sound great...but if i don't tune them good...they sound like friggin crap. Just like anything. I have a butt load of cymbals, Sabian AA 16' and 17' crashes(which i hand picked at the Sabian plant with the help of the guy that invented the AA line...hehe..i live about 1 hour from the Sabian plant in Meductic..a small town in New Brunswick Canada...beat that), Sabian 22' HH leopard Ride, Sabian HHX 12' splash, Zildjian oriental 16' multi crash, Zildjian 18' Oriental Chinese crash, Sabian 16'HHXtreme crash, Sabain 15' hi-hats..AA top and HH bottom(another custom setup from the sabian plant...also got 2 holes drilled in the bell of the the bottom HH hat, which gives its such a crisp sound when they clamp together), and......i think thats it....um...OH yeah and a Zildjian 18' A custom crash....AND a Zildjian 12' oriental splash...yeah thats it.

Wow sorry for that big mess of a list...

oh yeah and my first ever kit when i was 10 years old was an old Westbury kit..anyone ever hear o those? LOL you could chuck 'em off a building and then set them back up and play em again and they still sound 'awful'ly good. But hey you gotta cut yer teeth on something

I currently play a set of Ludwig Superclassics. They've served me well over the past 10 years or so, but I feel as though I'm outgrowing them in several ways. For one, Ludwig just doesn't really stay up-to-date with a lot of the other brands, and they're not really very innovative. When one of my tom mounts broke a few years ago, I couldn't even get a replacement through Ludwig, and had to get Tama hardware to compensate. I'm giving a lot of thought to getting a new kit within the next year or so, and am leaning heavily towards either upper-end Mapex (Orion, or at least Saturn) or possibly getting a Yamaha Absolute set. I've heard that they're going to add their Oak drums to their Custom line, so I may go that route, but otherwise, I like the beech and birch a lot.

Here's a pic of my current setup (minus a few cymbals I've added on in the past year).

Attachments

• FB04.jpg
    FB04.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 88
Back