Votes: 107 15.6%

• Total voters
New kit...

PB080135.jpg

PB080141.jpg

PB080149.jpg

P9170037.jpg

Snare3.jpg

Drums are by a custom builder, Raven Custom Drums. The cymbals are by Saluda. And the yellow to red snare was built by me :)

Work in progress

Building my own with Keller maple ply shells.
10 ply snare
6 ply toms
8 ply bass

As for the sizes (diam x depth)
22 x 20
16 x 16
14 x 14
13 x 11
12 x 10
10 x 9

and the snare
14 x 5.5

Lugs are Adonis (seems to no longer be in business)

Read a little more about the finishing Here.

I hope to have it all complete by the end of Winter.

Attachments

• shells.jpg
    shells.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 84
For you guys who built your own (or for those who use "non-standard" drum companies - Raven Custom Drums), where do you get the best information on this type of stuff. And for curiosity's sake, have you ever considered doing your building on a professional level?

Those Raven Custom Drums are absolutely beautiful, I would love to hear how they sound.

My cymbals are UFiP and my snare is Ludwig. The bass, riding and floor tom I made from solid spruce lumber and made the rims from plywood. Painted black, of course!

Cheers,

Otto

I have several kits...

DW Deep Blue Oyster, Black hardware
10" Tom
12" Tom
14" Floor Tom
16" Floor Tom
18" Kick
22" Kick
...plus
5"x13" Snare
6"x14" Edge Snare

DW Broken Glass, Chrome hardware
14" Suspended Tom (snare stand)
18" Floor Tom
28" Kick
...plus
8"x14" Snare

Ludwig 1970 Yellow Strata
12" Tom
13" Tom
16" Floor Tom
22" Kick

Snares...
Gretch cast aluminum 5"x14"
DW cast aluminum 5"x14"
Allegra Blue Agate 6"x13" (thin wood hoops)
Pork Pie Pig Lite 7"x13"
Ludwig 1960ish Supraphonic 5"x14"

Just ordered...
DW Twisted Walnut, Black hardware
8"x12" Tom
13"x15" Floor tom
16"x20" Kick
8"x24" Woofer (ala Billy Ward)
...plus
6"x12" snare

I have recorded alot of different drum sets. I have found that every drum company has a couple of good models of drums. With the propper skins and tuning they all sound good. Just depends on the sound your going for. I find that alot of drummers I have recorded don't know how to tune there drums either. So if you hear a drummer playing a set you thought might be cool but didn't sound good it might not be the kit but the drummer. :) I am not a drummer but I do own a kit for the studio. Sonor Force 2005. I picked these because it was in the budget. I work in a store putting kits together and tuning them. I have lost count after 8 years of doing this but you really learn how to tune drums after the 100th one. So I would be curious to line up the best kits from every company and find the right skins and propperly tune them and A & B them all. That would be awsome. :D

Ooooh. I play a PDP kit right now... it's a cheapy (as far as the drums go) I've invested far more in a my rack and cymbals and other hardware. I'm hoping eventually to get a DW. I've played a couple kits that have blown my mind. That and or I've liked the sound that Sonors can get too.

What I've used:
Remo pinstripes on toms
Remo coated ambassador on snare
Remo pinstripe on kick

Those works great IMO:D

Cheers!

Pearls...the only ones to buy are the high end ones. I have to agree with others on this board about the tom-mounts. That and the ridiculous amount of metal hardware connected to the shell. Fine for rock, etc., but not very good, really.

I need a second vote! I've sold my Pearl, now play Ludwig & Mapex.

+1 on the Pinstripes (unless you play an old kit, then you gotta use coated ambassadors all round:D)

Sonar Force 2003 Fusion kit... and I'm in a metal band, haha. I've got a Pearl free floating snare though which sounds about 8463829376 times better than the sonar one. I have a big ol' mixture of cymbals: mostly Sabian but I have some nasty Stagg China as well which I love.

Back