What's your first home recording setup?

Fariz

So yeah guys tell me wahts your first setup? how much did u paid for it? Did u like it or not... ?

Mine was a kind of evolution. I had a bass and was learning guitar. I got into jazz fusion and kind of liked the idea of being a multi~instrumentalist so I bought a clavinet, congas, bongoes and a bass amp, two AKG mikes and stands. Over the next year, I added a drumkit, double bass, mandolin and on a whim, a four track portastudio. I only bought the 4 track because I had a little bit of money left over and didn't want to go home with £60 left over. Also, where I was working at the time, we had a music project going with the kids (the fabled Tariq Kebabs) and we had a 4 track that no one knew how to work.
I'd long been interested in recording and about a year later, actually started recording. My 4 track was a Fostex X~15. I figured with what I had and my mate the drummer/percussionist using my stuff, we should be able to make songs. I'd written for years. But I eventually found 4 tracks far too limiting. Just on a simple song I needed at least 10 tracks and with all the bouncing I had to do, my stuff just became a mush. I used to put the bass and drums on the same track. They were the most separated parts ! So I progressed to an 8 track portastudio, a Tascam 488. In those early days, I'd buy effects and the like and I added things like a 4 input mic mixer and 8 input headphone dock, things that 20 years later I still use. As I had my own flat and generally great neighbours, I did most of the recording at home. It never occurred to me to do anything other. My set up included a Hammond organ, a Fender Rhodes and a piano which took 4 of us to get down the stairs of the guy I bought it from.
Like most people, the set up grew slowly and it took ages to learn things and figure things out, my mixes were fun to do but pretty shitty.
It was alot more expensive in the early 90s. I liked certain parts of the set up more than others and things changed from time to time in the quest for better sounds and mixes. It's always been a real bang on the head for me to record something I've written or collaborated on.

TASCAM 4-Track.

Shure 58

Decent digital reverb unit.

Cassettes

No compressors or other outboard gear. It was for recording songwriting demos. I liked it fine, but I hated the hiss.

laptop + giant squid mini mono
- NO -

The usual reasons, couldn't multi-track. High hiss input. Every little thing caused interference and other quirks. Sounded nothing like the source sound(s). But it was cheap.

Phase II

M-Audio Mobile Pre + same laptop + Art Tube MP + AT4033a
- YES -

But not well suited for my needs or at least upcoming needs. Took too long to setup on location. If someone tripped on the cord(s), the recording application crashed from the temporary disconnect. And other mobility concerns.

And a few upgrades since then to get my current capabilities. Or at least quality levels. Same basic capabilities. Just more flexible and better suited for on location stuff. i.e. no power cords, one person one trip, and recording within seconds, not minutes. Everything within a foot of the mic stand so not much to trip on.

An Echo Mia PCI card in an Alienware gaming computer, running Acid. I was recording my guitar through a Boss GT-3 into the card and putting the tracks down in Acid. Yeah...a lot has changed now.

Phase 1 (circa 1970): Sony TC370 reel to reel with sound-on-sound
Phase 2 (circa 1980): Yamaha MT3X 4-track cassette
Phase 3 (circa 1990): PC, ISIS sound card, Logic Audio
Phase 4 (circa 2000): PC, Presonus interface, Reaper.

Circa 1983 Tascam Portastudio 4-track cassette and a pair of Shure PE-15 dynamic mics.

We used to record on a boombox in the basement back in the day... I didn't count that though :p

Yeah, old tape recorder and recording a new track while playing along karaoke style with the previous track ala stereo. But I didn't count there either. No current day evidence that such an event ever took place. And that whole reproduction of a reproduction thing. i.e. Cloning has it's limits.

I'm with Supercreep. In the early 1960s I had an old Sears (think they called it "Silvertone") quarter inch tape deck and I microphone I saved up my allowance to buy--a "non name" one but it LOOKED more professional than the one that came with the deck.

No multitracking (obviously) but I became a wizz at cutting and splicing tape!

My first computer based system was Cool Edit 96, a Yamaha sound card, a small ENG/field mixer and couple of AKG microphones.

Bob

Don't you think "Queensland, Australia" is a bit confusing, Bobbsy? I mean, if not actually a separate country, it is a separate state of mind... :laughings:

Don't you think "Queensland, Australia" is a bit confusing, Bobbsy? I mean, if not actually a separate country, it is a separate state of mind... :laughings:

...just an attempt to fight off at least SOME of the questions from numpties who ask if I know their cousin in Perth!

Back