What's the story with Epiphone?

Yeah, you might not need to flip the bridge but I think the intonation will need to be reset and the nut will probably need to be replaced.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I knew something had to be done. I'd still rather have a flipped righty than a proper lefty. That's what double-cutaways are for. :)

Yeah, that's what I thought. I knew something had to be done. I'd still rather have a flipped righty than a proper lefty. That's what double-cutaways are for. :)

When I first started trying to play geetar, I wanted to play lefty. I'm not left handed, that's just how I naturally picked it up. As a kid, all of my air guitaring and bedroom rock shows with a tennis racket were left handed. When my mom finally bought me a real guitar, it was right handed, and since I knew nothing anyway (still don't) I forced myself to hold it properly - right handed. I'm glad too, cuz decent left handed guitars are bitch to find.

I think the gear ratio kinda matters with tuners though. My SG has old, stock, cheap looking in-line tuners and the problem is that you'll be inching carefully upward towards pitch and then you miss it and go sharp because the gear ratio is such that each turn of the peg makes too drastic of an adjustment. Tuners on other guitars I've owned or just played seemed to have tuners which made it easier to make fine adjustments.

Once in tune though, I don't see how the tuners make a difference in holding the pitch. I think that's due to other factors.

Rami - that '66 SG is pretty - but no neck binding! A pro wouldn't be caught dead with an SG with no neck binding :eek:.

:rolleyes:

gonna prolly have to flip that bridge. if it's a properly done bridge the slots for the big strings will be larger than for the small just like a nut.
So it would have to be flipped so the right sized slots are under the correct strings.
But all flipping it requires is putting it back on the posts the other way. As soon as you take the strings off to change them the bridge will fall off those posts anyway so it's not like flipping it is difficult.
The only problem would be if the saddles won't go back far enough to get the intonation right in which case you'd have to flip the saddles which is a bit of a PIA ....... but glancing at that pic that shouldn't be a problem (assuming HE has it intonated right).

HOWEVER: ...... note that the bridge is not on there straight. If you look closely you'll see that the lower side of the bridge is further towadrs the neck than the upper side.
Look at the distance between the bridge p'up and the bridge. It's clearly closer to the pickup on the lower side. So the bridge is actually at an angle.

That's also about intonation and when you make it a lefty and flip that bridge ..... that aspect of it isn't flippable since those posts are mounted into the body.

So you'll absolutely have to adjust your intonation and in extreme cases you might have to either remount that bridge or get a bridge where the saddles have a longer travel.
I would like muttley to weigh in on this ....... is there gonna be a problem getting this thing (or any other right handed SG) in proper intonation for a lefty?

gonna prolly have to flip that bridge. if it's a properly done bridge the slots for the big strings will be larger than for the small just like a nut.
So it would have to be flipped so the right sized slots are under the correct strings.
But all flipping it requires is putting it back on the posts the other way. As soon as you take the strings off to change them the bridge will fall off those posts anyway so it's not like flipping it is difficult.
The only problem would be if the saddles won't go back far enough to get the intonation right in which case you'd have to flip the saddles which is a bit of a PIA ....... but glancing at that pic that shouldn't be a problem (assuming HE has it intonated right).

I was looking at the bridge on my Epi SG and it looks like each saddle is the same. I didn't whip out a micrometer or magnifying glass (I'm not measuring my penis afterall - haha beat you all to it) but it doesn't look like the saddles are cut differently on my Epi SG. I bet they have a pile of saddles sitting around all cut the same way. One size fits all.

I was looking at the bridge on my Epi SG and it looks like each saddle is the same. I didn't whip out a micrometer or magnifying glass (I'm not measuring my penis afterall - haha beat you all to it) but it doesn't look like the saddles are cut differently on my Epi SG. I bet they have a pile of saddles sitting around all cut the same way. One size fits all.
cool .... but look at the last part I added to my post about the bridge being at an angle. Is yours like that?

And BTW ...... you are correct ....... tuners get you in tune but have nothing to do with tuning stability.

That would be awesome. The saddles, not your dick. :eek:

cool .... but look at the last part I added to my post about the bridge being at an angle. Is yours like that?

And BTW ...... you are correct ....... tuners get you in tune but have nothing to do with tuning stability.

Yes mine is slightly angled the same way.

Look for what suits you the best.

Look for what suits you the best.

Totally agree. Sorry to RAMI for getting OT, but Muttley what do you think of the Gibson Custom Historic and Art division? Their prices seem pretty far above standard Gibson products, and I believe they have their own facility, but do you think they are really using better materials or are the price differences mainly in the increased labor costs for the more qualified (I'm assuming) workers at the Custom facility?

Why is a left handed guitar not an option?

'cause they don't have a used rare Epi in left handed model on Craigslist for $300.
Pretty much that. It would be an option if there were any around. But I still would have to decide if I really wanted one.I like the idea of playing a righty upside down. I don't know why. Having said that, if I had a nice lefty SG cherry red in my hands, I'd probably say "THAT'S my guitar".

Totally agree. Sorry to RAMI for getting OT, but Muttley what do you think of the Gibson Custom Historic and Art division? Their prices seem pretty far above standard Gibson products, and I believe they have their own facility, but do you think they are really using better materials or are the price differences mainly in the increased labor costs for the more qualified (I'm assuming) workers at the Custom facility?

I haven't got specs to hand as I'm out of my workshop for a few days but from memory most of the short run custom stuff that Gibson does takes more in the way of pretty wood and labour costs. They do select from the best of the best as far as quater cut tone wood etc..

When ever a builder big or small takes in a batch of wood it is graded and set aside for a certain type of instrument or purpose. One would hope they hand select which isn't the case on their stock run stuff. That is batch selected. Is it better than their stock run stuff only you can decide really..

I haven't got specs to hand as I'm out of my workshop for a few days but from memory most of the short run custom stuff that Gibson does takes more in the way of pretty wood and labour costs. They do select from the best of the best as far as quater cut tone wood etc..
hey muttley ..... look back at my observations on his bridge being angled ..... will that be an intonation problem if he changes it to a lefty?

hey muttley ..... look back at my observations on his bridge being angled ..... will that be an intonation problem if he changes it to a lefty?

Quite possibly. It will depend on action, string gauge and a few other things. You can some times get away with it. I do maybe one or two right to left conversions a year where the guy wants the bridge posts relocated. You can normally get it done without it showing to much.

I went to GC last week and looked at the SG'S. A gazillion models are all the same guitar with minor variations.
They didn't have one in stock, but I think like the 2013 Standard best.
Theyhave apprently streamlined the SG by incorporating the favorite features of the various classics, the Angel Wing, scalloped edges, thin neck, etc., Nice Axe.

Why wouldn't you buy the left hand version?

When I first started trying to play geetar, I wanted to play lefty. I'm not left handed, that's just how I naturally picked it up. As a kid, all of my air guitaring and bedroom rock shows with a tennis racket were left handed. When my mom finally bought me a real guitar, it was right handed, and since I knew nothing anyway (still don't) I forced myself to hold it properly - right handed. I'm glad too, cuz decent left handed guitars are bitch to find.

I am a lefty and started out playing right.
I thihk it provides a sublte edge to dexterity on the fretboard, (but you wouldn't know it to hear me play.)
Perhaps guitars were orignally used for right handed finger picking dexterity , but I picked that up easily enough as well

I have a friend who plays left handed upside down.He had to buy a left handed guitar,convert it to right handed,just so he could play it left handed.

Back