What's the story with Epiphone?

I guess it was this bit that lead us to misunderstand you..

Now you have clarified all is good. A guitar is a tool and whatever gets the job done and done...

ABSOLUTELY!!! no doubt about it. A very simple analogy would be if you had a Stanley or Craftsman 16oz hammer to drive a nail with or a Walmart brand 16oz hammer would it matter to the nail or the final driving of the nail? Of course not. The nail got driven the same either way.
I have owned and played some great "lesser" named guitars. I had a Fender Squier ProTone Strat that was a great guitar right out of the box, nothing else needed to make it great. Still miss that axe to this day.

ABSOLUTELY!!! no doubt about it. A very simple analogy would be if you had a Stanley or Craftsman 16oz hammer to drive a nail with or a Walmart brand 16oz hammer would it matter to the nail or the final driving of the nail? Of course not. The nail got driven the same either way.
I have owned and played some great "lesser" named guitars. I had a Fender Squier ProTone Strat that was a great guitar right out of the box, nothing else needed to make it great. Still miss that axe to this day.

You see there you go again.. I will only buy and use top brand tools both hand tools and machine tools... Different thing all together. If Rami had been asking me to advise on say, a router I would tell him to definitely get the best he can afford. Or if he'd been after a block plane, Record or Stanley pre 1999. Accept no substitutes.:)

I have seen a bunch of cheap hammers fly off the hickory and also seen them snap right off after a day or two on site. :)

that was intended as a very SIMPLE analogy. Not a specific one. As I stated in the begining. It was about the principal of getting a job done, not specific to the use of hammers or building tools and how they vary in quality. :)

that was intended as a very SIMPLE analogy. Not a specific one. As I stated in the begining. It was about the principal of getting a job done, not specific to the use of hammers or building tools and how they vary in quality. :)

Don't worry about it mate, we are way off topic now any way. If you need to knock in a nail then there are quite a few options available to us all....;)

There's an Epiphone SG G-400 for $200 here.

There's also an Epiphone Limited Edition 66 Reissue SG going for $300.

Greg already said the 400 series is pretty good. Anyone know anything about the 66 Reissue mdel?

There's an Epiphone SG G-400 for $200 here.

There's also an Epiphone Limited Edition 66 Reissue SG going for $300.

Greg already said the 400 series is pretty good. Anyone know anything about the 66 Reissue mdel?

If they are in good nick and you look after them you'll get your money back on them. Probably on trade in alone if you are going to hit for a Gibson from new.

Go for it man put us out of our misery....;)

Hi y'all- back from Hawaii and jet lagged like a mother. Just wanted to say- the classic Epiphones when they were independent were pretty good- a go-to guitar for the Beatles. The new ones come in 3 grades- el cheapo, mostly made in the Phillipines, the better grade, mostly made by Samick in South Korea, and the "masterbuilt" pseudo- custom shop stuff. I agree with pretty much what Greg L. said. I've got an Epi Samick Les Paul with classic 57's and a killer fret job, and I sold my Gibson SG Supreme and kept the Epi!
I have also owned an el cheapo Phillipine SG, and it was a damn good guitar in its price range, $100 or so. But- quality control is an issue, and I kissed quite a few frogs before I found the handsome prince. And- I never liked the shape of the neck. It was deeper than the SG neck I'm used to, and kind of blocky. The Les Paul I bought used from GC, so I don't know who did the fret job, but it wasn't stock, and the luthier was gooood. GC had no idea what they had. I put the classic 57's from the SG Supreme into it, and it sings. I haven't played a recent Epi acoustic that I liked, but some of the old ones are sweet, including some made in Japan. I have one that's become vintage along with me, bought new in 1980. It's an old friend, but I do have better acoustics now. It's become a camp guitar. Epi's can be very good guitars. Just make sure you look at it hard and play it. Find a winner and switch out the pickups for whatever you like.

Go for it man put us out of our misery....;)
Hehehe! Sorry. But I'm really not part of 90% of the conversation in this thread.People are talking about frickin' hammers n' shit. :eek: :D

Unless it's falling apart, you might wanna jump on that.
That's what I'm thinking....but then I saw this and my dick moved: Grover tuning keys and full pick-guard, which is rare. Epiphone Limited Edition 66 Reissue SG

Either way, I'mpicking something up this weekend, so you guys can cut my imbelical chord loose. :D

I really appreciate all the help I got in this thread. You assholes are the man!!!!! :)

Well ask yourself this - are tuners and half a pickguard worth $100 bucks to you? If so, that seems to be a good price too. Sure looks nice. On the other hand, if it's so great, why is he selling it for a real SG? Hmmmmmm?

Well ask yourself this - are tuners and half a pickguard worth $100 bucks to you? If so, that seems to be a good price too. Sure looks nice.
I don't know, but it sounded impressive. By the way, what are Grover tuning keys anyway? :D

On the other hand, if it's so great, why is he selling it for a real SG? Hmmmmmm?
Maybe he read the wrong posts in this thread.:eek:

Grovers are one of those famous name brand tuners that everyone thinks they must have. If you ask me, they're all the fucking same and make no difference whatsoever. Even cheap no-name tuners work just fine. Unless a machine-head is physically damaged or loose, they all do the same thing and work the same way. I'm no luthier, but I've never in my life seen a tuner that's in good working order have a negative effect on the guitar's overall tuning stability.

Grovers are one of those famous name brand tuners that everyone thinks they must have.
I know, I used to sell them at Steve's. I was just indulging in what's called self-defecating humor. :D

Grovers are tuners made by Grover (duh). They make cheap junk tuners and some very good ones. The name alone means nada. The question always be-"What Grovers?" And I think good tuners are often much more about ease and accuracy of tuning than holding tune.

Oh, I almost forgot. One more question. I'm a lefty. Is it absolutely necessary to switch the bridge (or is it the nut)? I remember having to take my right-handed Strat to a luthier for something, but it's been so long I can't remember what it was.

Can I just switch the strings around and start playing?

And I think good tuners are often much more about ease and accuracy of tuning than holding tune.

I understand that, but I don't buy it. A tuner is a worm and pinion gear. An ancient engineering design that's about as simple as they come. How can it get any easier? You turn a peg and it tightens/loosens a string. Accuracy? Again, it tightens and loosens a string. You twist until it's accurate. You want easy and accurate tuning? Forget the tuners and focus on a correctly cut nut and a good setup.

Oh, I almost forgot. One more question. I'm a lefty. Is it absolutely necessary to switch the bridge (or is it the nut)? I remember having to take my right-handed Strat to a luthier for something, but it's been so long I can't remember what it was.

Can I just switch the strings around and start playing?

Yeah, you might not need to flip the bridge but I think the intonation will need to be reset and the nut will probably need to be replaced.

Back