What's the story with Epiphone?

R

RAMI

I'm not a guitar player, so I don't know the whole story behind who bought what company and which companies are worth buying products from, etc.....

I always told myself that I will own a red Gibson SG before I die. Now, I don't want to buy a cheap one just for the sake of having one. I can wait a few more years if I need to.

But, not knowing what the story with Epiphone guitars is, I wonder if something like is just a cheap copy or worth the money.

For example, is this a good deal, or should I wait and save for something better:

VERY SWEET GIBSON EPIPHONE SG G-400

Or how about this:

http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/msg/3681180776.html

I think the modern Epis are pretty nice. They've come a long way. I think if you bought either one of those and swapped in some good pickups, you'd have a killer guitar.

Epiphone is to Gibson what Squier is to Fender. Or maybe what Mexican Fender is to American Fender.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul that is pretty identical (as in model design, finish, etc.) to the Gibson Les Paul Traditional I bought recently. The difference in quality and playability is huge, however. But then, the difference in the price tag is equally huge.

You see plenty of people and artists who play Epiphones as their brand of choice. I don't know if that says anything about their quality. But, like Mexican Fenders and Squiers, I think you have to shop around to find one that's decent, and you'll find a lot of crap ones along the way. Sadly, that also seems to be the case with Gibson nowadays. If you buy an American Fender, you kind of expect a certain level of quality guaranteed, which is what you should be able to expect from Gibson as well.

Epiphone is to Gibson what Squier is to Fender. Or maybe what Mexican Fender is to American Fender.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul that is pretty identical (as in model design, finish, etc.) to the Gibson Les Paul Traditional I bought recently. The difference in quality and playability is huge, however. But then, the difference in the price tag is equally huge.

You see plenty of people and artists who play Epiphones as their brand of choice. I don't know if that says anything about their quality. But, like Mexican Fenders and Squiers, I think you have to shop around to find one that's decent, and you'll find a lot of crap ones along the way. Sadly, that also seems to be the case with Gibson nowadays. If you buy an American Fender, you kind of expect a certain level of quality guaranteed, which is what you should be able to expect from Gibson as well.

This is true. Epi consistency, like Gibsons, is spotty at best. I played approx 200 Les Pauls and SGs before I found my just right LP - and I'm not even a good player. Someone with more skill could have a harder time finding their just right guitar, or maybe they're all easier to play with skill. I dunno. Bottom line, if you can get your hands on it, try it out first. But I really like those SG G-400s and most of the ones I've seen have been pretty decent. IMO, the Epi SGs are a lot closer to real SGs than Epi LPs are to real LPs.

Nice to know guys, thanx. I have a strong feeling that I'm going to go and get one of these.

The 400 looks interesting, and the guy lives in my area.

The other one looks nicer, and it has the full pick-guard, which is rare, but he lives further away. Not sure which one to go for. Not a decision that should be made on a Monday morning. :eek:

Like I mentioned earlier, with either one, swap the pickups. Big difference. I have a cheapo Epi SG, and I yanked the stock no-name pickups and put a Gibson 57 Classic in the bridge. Huge difference.

I would suggest that you go for a Gibson, even if getting a Studio LP and swapping the pickups.
The Epis are designed to LOOK like a Gibson, not play like one.

But I don't want an LP. I want an SG. A nice, thin, double-cutaway, cherry red SG. :D

Just typing those words makes blood rush to my groin. :eek:

But I don't want an LP. I want an SG. A nice, thin, double-cutaway, cherry red SG. :D

Just typing those words makes blood rush to my groin. :eek:

SGs are the cat's ass. Get one.

Do you like P-90's? A P-90 SG is a bad motherfucker.

I've always thought the Studio to be 90% of an LP for half the cost.
It's just missing the fancy finish.
Maybe I'm mistaken.
Well you're not really mistaken. They do lack the fancy finish. No binding, no nice tops, etc. The fit and finish is typically less good with the Studios. You're probably more likely to find a dud Studio than you are a Standard or Custom. But they do come with nice pickups and if you find a nice player, they can and will sound every bit as good as a fancier LP.

I got a lesson on SG's last week and what makes them so great. Longer neck, frets spaced a little further apart, radius is comfortable and the cutawyas provide great access to the upper frets. Much easier to play. I never knew that, I always thought all Gibson guitars were basically the same.

I got a lesson on SG's last week and what makes them so great. Longer neck, frets spaced a little further apart, radius is comfortable and the cutawyas provide great access to the upper frets. Much easier to play. I never knew that, I always thought all Gibson guitars were basically the same.

Yes all of that. SGs are super easy to play. They can feel pretty wimpy if you're used to standing with something more substantial though. They have thin bodies and to me aren't balanced/don't hang from a strap very well. If you go from an LP to an SG, it's like playing a barbie guitar. Lol.

Back