What's the story with Epiphone?

Soooo......what should I buy?

:D :D:D

Ultimately that is your call. Thats why I rarely make comment on peoples "what guitar?" threads.

My guess is you would be happy with either as a guitar but it sounds as if it is the top end you really crave so that should be what you aim for. If it was me, I'd get hold of a cheaper end second hand lower brand model as a stop gap that you can move on when you are able to fund the dream.

I'd get hold of a cheaper end second hand lower brand model as a stop gap that you can move on when you are able to fund the dream.
That's sound advice. I was going in that direction. Maybe not for a cheap second hand, but if I can get a Epi in good condition for about $300, I can them decide if I'm happy with that, or re-sell it and buy the "real" thing when I save up more.

That's sound advice. I was going in that direction. Maybe not for a cheap second hand, but if I can get a Epi in good condition for about $300, I can them decide if I'm happy with that, or re-sell it and buy the "real" thing when I save up more.

Second hand would seem smart in this case; get a good deal and you can simply "park" the funds until you want to upgrade, while enjoying the use of a new guitar.

Sorry couldn't resist...

who was it said "ain't no money up the dusty end....";)
Lol. I dunno, but really I don't do much past the 12-15 fret range. That 12th fret E pentatonic is usually my final frontier. Frets 16-22 might as well not even be there.

I am willing to bet that if you took all the hardware and fittings such as pickups, pots, switches etc. from a ES 335 Gibson and put it all on a Epi Dot and did a decent setup on the neck and intonation you would be pretty damn close to the sound of that Gibson. I have never done that but it would be an interesting exercise...

I would probably guess the same, but at that point you may as well just spend the difference and get the Gibson label and case instead of Epiphone. For resale value, if nothing else.

I would probably guess the same, but at that point you may as well just spend the difference and get the Gibson label and case instead of Epiphone. For resale value, if nothing else.

That is an entirely valid option. Another is that many can do wonderful things without spending a load on a big brand guitar. It's entirely down to the player.

I always advise people that if they have to compromise anything the first thing should be the name on it. Look for what suits you the best.

I'm not a guitar player either but there are two ways to get a good answer. One is to look up the history of the guitar companies. I know that when Gibson started going south because of bean counters dictating cheaper parts and materials. The luthiers left and started their own copany. Look all this up online and you will see the best years for Gibson (They're back in the saddle again) and which of the companies you should check out. Ibanez is one who is making great guitars now. The second is to check with a really good luthier. They will not steer your wrong an might have something for you. Good luck,
Rod Norman

I'm not a guitar player, so I don't know the whole story behind who bought what company and which companies are worth buying products from, etc.....

I always told myself that I will own a red Gibson SG before I die. Now, I don't want to buy a cheap one just for the sake of having one. I can wait a few more years if I need to.

But, not knowing what the story with Epiphone guitars is, I wonder if something like is just a cheap copy or worth the money.

For example, is this a good deal, or should I wait and save for something better:

VERY SWEET GIBSON EPIPHONE SG G-400

Or how about this:

Epiphone Limited Edition 66 Reissue SG

That is an entirely valid option. Another is that many can do wonderful things without spending a load on a big brand guitar. It's entirely down to the player.

I always advise people that if they have to compromise anything the first thing should be the name on it. Look for what suits you the best.

I completely agree with you.

If a player is extremely accomplished and or a paid professional then a "brand name" instrument is going to be his or her choice, no doubt. If the player is a novice, beginer and is looking to start with or upgrade to a fairly decent instrument then 2nd tier instruments are fine.
Of course if price is no object to an individual player then whatever they choose is also fine. This all stands to reason.

If the question is can one obtain a decent level instrument at less than top grade retail prices then the answer in my opinion is yes. Especially if they buy, as in this example, a top tier Epiphone like my Lucille, invest a small amount of money in necessary improvements and come away with a very serviceable instrument.
After the intial cost brand new, then the investment in improvements..aka.. fret dressing, leveling, polishing, new electronics, roller bridge and pickups(Gibson 57 Classics) my total cost was 1200.00. Now compare that to 3500.00 for the Gibson counterpart and I saved 2300.00. Since my Epiphone plays as sweet and sounds as good as the Gibson and I have compared them both side by side through the same amp ( Vintage Fender Blackface Vibrolux) with the exact same settings I could not justify the 2400.00 price difference.
I am now retired so in my case I am no longer touring or working as a musician, the Epiphone was the wiser priced investment for ME in my situation.

I believe this shows that a "2nd tier" instrument can be a good choice depending on exactly what a certain player's needs or desires are.

As far as long term "vintage value" goes, no the 2nd tier instruments don't accrue in value with some rare exceptions but then again a large amount of Big Name one's don't either. The vintage high dollar guitar market fluxuates like the stock market and is mostly based on what the current demand will bring.

I completely agree with you.

If a player is extremely accomplished and or a paid professional then a "brand name" instrument is going to be his or her choice, no doubt. If the player is a novice, beginer and is looking to start with or upgrade to a fairly decent instrument then 2nd tier instruments are fine.
Of course if price is no object to an individual player then whatever they choose is also fine. This all stands to reason.

I'm afraid you don't agree with me so I must have not got my point across.

There are two regular working and paid players here that I know of and neither of us give a hoot what name is on the box. I have done four gigs so far this week and have used four different guitars. OK I am a guitar builder so I play my own but the I know that the only guy that prolly does more paid gigs than me here on guitar has a wide range of instruments and I would guess would be happy using a £10 guitar if it was playable and provided the type of tone required for the gig.

Most of what I build are variations on existing instruments that are not available off the shelf and built for studio guys or working musicians who are after a specific tone or something very specific.

The point is that if you want a big brand name thats fine, but it is entirely possible and in fact quite easy to achieve the same for less if you can get past the name thing. If you want something very specific you need to get it built or mod it yourself.

If a player is extremely accomplished and or a paid professional then a "brand name" instrument is going to be his or her choice, no doubt. .
I guess I'm the other pro here mutt was talking about and I'm sorry but that's simply not true.

I'm extremely accomplished and have done nothing else for a living for 45 years doing 300-350 gigs a year. Well, since moving to Fl. 6 years ago it's dropped to around 250-275 gigs a year, but I'm as professional as it gets and brand names have no importance to me whatsoever and I know a decent number of other pros that play Epis or Squires or "what the hell is THAT?" guitars. To a certain degree the better you get the less you care about the brand name.

That doesn't mean I can't appreciate a fine instrument and I've had the very best of the best.

But the very things that set an inexpensive ax apart from a cheap one are the things that have little importance as far as making music with the thing.
Pretty wood ..... perfectly applied paint with no overspray ..... neat binding ...... lovely inlays ..... they sure are purty but have no bearing on its usability.

And the things that DO affect gigging with them like loose jacks and pots and a poor setup are things which a pro casually corrects while watching the news.
And lastly pu'ps ...... you often hear that tone is in your fingers and in the 'tone to die for' thread I was shocked to hear how my own recordings of me playing a strat versus a paul versus a Yamaha bizarro guitar through a Mesa versus an Ampeg versus an Epi Valve Jr. all sounded pretty damned close to the same.

Sure if you go from a P90 to a hot rodded metal p'up there's gonna be a significant difference.
But we quite literally couldn't hear a lot of difference between a strat and a paul bridge p'up.
That really was an eye opener to me.

Now I care about brands even less!

Look Guys.... maybe I'm not making myself clear on this.... maybe a poor choice of words in some sentences.

I have used so many less famous name guitars in my career I can't even remember them all. I always believed that if any guitar played well, held tune and was capable of making good music and it fit the tone I was looking for then it was fine with me. I have never had Headstock vanity.

All I was trying to say and obviously not very well was... one can usually take any "lesser" name instrument and if needed make some improvements to it and get the same results as one can from a top of the line instrument.
It almost always comes down to ones ability, talent, hands, ears and musical soul. That's the heart of it all.

I am sorry if what I said was misunderstood or came off wrong. That would not be the point I was trying to make.

Look Guys.... maybe I'm not making myself clear on this.... maybe a poor choice of words in some sentences.

I have used so many less famous name guitars in my career I can't even remember them all. I always believed that if any guitar played well, held tune and was capable of making good music and it fit the tone I was looking for then it was fine with me. I have never had Headstock vanity.

All I was trying to say and obviously not very well was... one can usually take any "lesser" name instrument and make some improvements to it and get the same results as one can from a top of the line instrument.
It almost always comes down to ones ability, talent, hands, ears and musical soul. That's the heart of it all.

I am sorry if what I said was misunderstood or came off wrong. That would not be the point I was trying to make.

I guess it was this bit that lead us to misunderstand you..

Now you have clarified all is good. A guitar is a tool and whatever gets the job done and done...

Back