What do commercial artists use?

I have never made a rap recording but have listened enough to make a few comments.

I think the secret of the rap vocal sound talked about here can be acquired for around $1000. It's basically a harmonizer box. I hear these all the time on the main vocal to double, synthesize or glue a series of vocals together. It's as simple as routing, lets say, the BK Vocals to a common buss with the harmonizer on it.

RE: Secrets of the Pros (actually there is a mixing DVD called this)

If you see a hammer and a nail sitting on a desk along with a picture frame, your mind automatically puts together that the frame goes on the wall and you have the tools to put it there. You however, must know how to hold the hammer so as not to bend the nail. As well, you have to decide where on the wall and how high the nail needs to be placed. Ultimately your decision on placement creates an effect, an emotional experience for others to share.

It's the same with the so called secrets, Engineering is not just have the tools and the song, it's about knowing what to do instinctively with these objects. The final result is an expression of audio which also creates an emotional response in the listener.

The difficult part is that you have to hang a lot of pictures i.e. mix a lot, to understand how your decisions will affect the listener. Another difficult aspect for rap engineers is that not many of the people making money in rap are giving up any of their tracking or mixing secrets. No books, I know of document the approach to building tracks in this genre. While on the other hand, most of the prior rock and pop era has given up the gold in numerous books. There is "Mixing It Like A Record" by Charles Dye, Russ Long's Guide to Nashville Recording, and "Secrets of the Pros" all on DVD. There is "Behind the Glass", the Bobby Owsinski books on Recording, Mixing and Mastering, not to mention numerous other books.

The first guy that writes a book on making hits in rap music is going make a ton of money.

Two things I hear in rap, hip hop etc. They are using multiple layers of sounds to create their tracks, i.e. tagging a bass or other synths to the same drum machine beats. Second, they don't follow ABABCAB format, in fact they are constantly creating their own sound structure.

If you want to understand mixing secrets you have to sit down with a piece of paper, or excel spreadsheet, then document each sound and at what point it enters the track. Make a note of every unknown, like the pressure pulse of the kick, or a vocal sound that you don't know how to get. Then research until you know how every sound is created. After doing a couple of these, you will begin to understand how the components work individually and together.

If you are serious about knowing the secrets you’re going to have to do the math as they say. If someone told you exactly how Missy Elliot or Snoop did a record, you would only have one or two frames of reference and if you copied that, all your tunes would sound similar. However if you understood why Snoop and Missy put that effect or that sound where they did, you begin to understand the thought process which means, sometimes you don't use the frame, sometimes it requires something else so you must act intuitively with the skills you have. Before you get good at the intuitive part you should learn about as many frames as possible; then you have a library of solutions that you can pull from.

Ok, now I'm ranting. This thread just pulled up some random thoughts that I thought I would share.

hmmmmm?

nothin' personal middleman; and good lookin' on the 411 about this harmonizer. I'm just curious why i have never heard about this "piece" before, in all the threadz i've read about gear. And if you read my last thread you would kinda' know, I DONT NEED ANYMORE INFO ABOUT RAPPING, PRODUCTION, AND THE LIKES THERE OF. as far as my craft, i'm very well off in the knowledge catagory. From recording the actual sounds and vocals, "talent"(which 80% of the rappers in the industry DONT HAVE). Even if I didnt have this so-called "talent", like most that are signed, I know there are ways to make someone SOUND good, as far as the ear is concerned. They might not sound like shit as far as vocals(arrangement, lyrics, etc.), But the sound of the vocals are audibly pleasant, Y'know? I also produce and make beats, and have more expandable knowledge about that process as well. But im mixing and mastering ignorant. This is a fairly new trade of the biz ive picked up here in the last 6 or 7 years, and found a liking to. But only in the past couple of years have i had tangible, accessible, equipment.

And believe it or not, in all the inquiries ive made in the recent past(not just this site), I still have yet to be given the answer ive searched for. CLOSE. But not it. Ive found lil' nuggets of dire and very important info, none-the-less, that i can use; but not pertaining to question at hand. And as far as this harmonizer goes, if its a 1000 bucks, thats 999 dollars more than what ill probably attain any time soon! :(But for the record: I have a gut feeling that's how my search is going to wrap up. Someone is finally gonna' give me the answer(and you might have already, Mid), and its gonna' wind up dealing with some outrageously priced "do-dad" or piece of equipment, that i will NEVER be able to acquire the monies for, unless i sell dope, get 2 extra jobs aside from the one I already have, or release a hit. (Oh, yeah, and if i hit the lottery. Can we say a rainfall in hell?)

Take 10 recording engineers, whose ears serve and cater to hip-hop music, exclusively. (Just ride with me on this) Each engineer is dedicated to one project, all consisting of different rappers. When each idividual engineer sits down and begin the mixing process, they all have a mental "preset" of sorts, to what they're gonna' do with the vocals. There has to be a starting point. They dont start off with an enormous amount of compression or reverb, and work down, do they? No. They have a basic medium between them all, of what's an ideal BEGINNING for rap vocals, as far as the mixing is concerned. (ie;
compression at 3:1 starting a -15db's. A little chorus or delay with say, a 30 ms spread on the wet. Oh, yeah! and a little this or that, knowing that "THIS" is an IDEAL starting component, or "THAT" maybe is one of the most popular effects/parameters that the industry engineers are using as a regular practice in this final process.) THE EFFECT IS TOO IDENTICAL TO KEEP SAYING ITS INDIVIDUAL AND ALL DEALS WITH ONES SPECIFIC EARS, TASTES, LIKENESSES, OPINIONS, ETC.! The "busta rhymes" engineer has the same effect on his projects' vocals, as the "nelly" engineer has on his! And they sound exactly alike, as far as this final "doubling" effect is concerned. Granted, they SOUND different, as far as vocal tone and the like, But "busta" sounds like busta, with this effect. "Nelly" sounds like nelly, but with this effect, and so on. The engineers may have to play a little with the knobs and their settings, because of the different entonations,volumes, and the like that vary from artist to artist.(Baritone, Alto, etc. Busta voice is deeper than the high-pitched vocal of nelly, etc.) Only after they say, "lets start here", do they begin to adjust.

So let me change my approach: Maybe not "secrets" or "tricks", pursey.(it's impossible to totally believe there aren't ANY, as people keep saying; yet i get
steered and advised to read books with "secrets and tricks" of the mixing process IN the titles of these recommended books.) Then what are the basic, immediate processes they use to apply as a START or beginning for their vocals. Those parameters that MOST rap engineers will sit down and say, "I'll begin here, as a normal practice for this effect. Then i'll tweak, twist, and play from there. Like ive said before, if you have no idea about rap music, ESPECIALLY the mixing and mastering of the components, you may never be able to answer that question. If you engineer for a heavy metal band, youre not going to even LOOK towards the hip-hop engineers fundamentals for mixing down the vocals. Nickleback, 3 doors down, creed, and thousands more, dont use this effect on their vocals. Not even close! No doubling, a LOT less reverb, and so on. Not even "bruce", or "big bear" (sorry. I dont know who him/they are; but i can tell they are looked at as some sort of aficionados on the subjects) can answer this, if they have no idea what im talkin about, because of their lack of knowledge of what these particular engineers are doing, because of not LISTENING to the same genre of music.

Maybe i should just let this thread go on ahead and die.(i know everyones sick of my long, ass ranting) Because i see as i post and read more, it seems there are not many; if any, professionals that deal exclusively, or mainly, with rap production, "employed" at this site. I see plentiful descriptive and detailed answer to such things as mic-ing drums, or the best thing to do for an acoustic guitar; and as we know, unless youre "The Roots", there are no immedeiate needs for this info in rap music. Unless youir project consists of these things. In those comprehensive answers, i always see someone that has 1000's of posts, and HUGE reputations answering, but you very seldomly get that with a question that deals with the production of hip-hop music.(didn't forget you, Glen) It seems futile.

And what the hell is up with these so-called "moderators" that sit down in the corner of my screen. Are they professionals that are supposed to intervene, or "moderate", when there are questions that are going unanswered, or answers that are totally wrong? Maybe to give some sort of "professional" opinion to a popular thread? If thats the case, why havent I read ONE recent post from that crispin2000, and "dragon cave" fella?

Lets chop this up a little bit

greenengineer said:
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR TALENT, AND THE LUXURY OF TIME!!

you're almost right, yet still so far off!

1) As far as time; I have nothing but that. I wouldnt need so much, if i didn't have to experiment so long, for 90 of those hours, trying to get a "specific" parameter or effect. In which im sure, that's not the case with the majority of the engineers in the biz, unless you have MANY areas that you are trying to clean up in a song.(100 hours for ONE song in rap music seems hella' excessive!) The reason being, a "knowledgeable" engineer has the basics, and can instantly apply them as needed. They know for a particular sound or result, to tweak this, and when, why, and HOW MUCH you tweak it for. Voila!!!(Whaaa Laaa) 10 maybe 15 minutes to add an effect, turn an eq knob, and, "there is your requested sound or effect, sir! Have a great day!"

2)We've(ive) touched on this before. Lets face it, half of the music industry as we know it, is creatively, and original-wise stagnant and TALENTLESS. Yes. Rap may be suffering the most than any other genre, but there are an awful lot of less than talented people in ALL forms of music; that are making hundreds, and thousands of dollars a day! Shit, some on just radio play alone! C'mon, people. Lets stop saying these artists, no matter how local, have to possess talent to have a polished, finalized project, with a top-quality sound! That damn Mike Jones' overall quality in his finished project is superb; but that damn fool sounds like muhammad ali trying to rap RIGHT NOW! His topics and rhyme schemes, etc, are as elementary as 1st grade; and his wordplay definitely won't, and dont cause a huge amount of afterthought, Y'know?

3) this is about right; even though ive been told by numerous sources, before, after, and of course, during this site, that's not always the case. (?)

4)i'm also in mixed feelings about this one too. I agree, you need a proper workspace. But i've seen some of the best looking, and heard some of the best product, coming out of a dank, smelly basement. As long as its sound reinforced for recording, and monitoring; you can get a top quality sound.

5)Listen to some of Lil Jon's, or any fairly new producers(last 3 or 4 years) work when they first jumped on the "scene". Yes. There may be a noticable difference AFTER he got famous, and acquired the monies for bigger and better things; but those 1st pieces of work sound good, nonetheless. What about those "overnight successes" that are all over the place. They had to get some sort of notariety BEFORE they became so-called "top-quality", or had the money to spend someone that WAS/IS just that. And they had to sound half decent, at least, to get anyone to pay attention to them in the first place. Even though it's all about money, lots of these producers have a rep they'd like to uphold; and no matter how much money you bring NOW (they're rich), if Puffy thinks youre completly ASS, with NO potential;being a local artist, tryin' to "come out", he aint workin' with ya'! Simple as that. No matter what you have in your bank account!

How many people will have to tell you that there is no secret, standard process to anything before you will believe them? ;) Seriously, there just isn't. You keep talking about a "let's start here" point. I'll tell you what that is, It is an unprocessed/unedited/as recorded track. That's it. That is the "let's start here" point. You said you realize that with all the subtle differences in a recording that there is no standard setting for anything. Well, understand that those subtle differences are enough to completely change the approach when working with a recording. There are probably hundreds of ideas for ways to mix vocals on this very forum. Why not just try them? If your ears are up to snuff you'll be able to decide what is getting you there and what isn't. Knowing how to do this takes experience and that's it. I'll be the first to admit I wouldn't know how to properly mix good hip-hop vocals, but I would try everything I could think of to get it and I bet that eventually I would find a combination that works for me. I may try the same thing on a different project someday and find that it doesn't work at all. That's just how it is. When you build up your knowledge and abilities through trial, error, progress and experience you'll know for yourself what will work for a track and what won't. That is what the "big-time" producers are working with....experience. And there just isn't any shortcut to gaining it. Just start doing it!

There are probably a lot of little things, but no great single trick. I don't know hip-hop myself, but these sorts of things are obvious in pop music.

Take Kelly Clarkson for example. Her latest single doesn't sound anything like her performances on AI1. That's not to say the live engineers working for Fox suck or that their gear was crap, but live is not the studio. You can't have rappers carrying around a $6,000 Sony with a big ass heatsink on stage.

So yeah they put Kelly in the big room with the $6000 mic and the pres and the compressors and all that other crap in that picture of Dre's room. Then they probably massaged every damn word of the vocal, whether in double tracking or whisper tracking or tuning or cutting & pasting, slicing & dicing dozens of takes or whatever. Then they probably threw half that crap out in the final cut.

Heck, Elvis did something like 28 straight takes of "Hound Dog" before he got the final, and that was way before the days of PT!

So maybe there is no big trick, but a few hundred little or maybe even medium-sized techniques along the way.

And yeah gear is part of it. If it isn't, then half the people posting on The Rack are big fat liars ;) And I bet Dre cares more about two things than the look of his studio: music and money. If he didn't need it to make the music, I bet he'd save the money. A lot of that stuff might be there as "just in case" or "nice to have", but I'm guessing his short list of bare minimum gear looks a lot better than my rig :(

just to add....

Man, there are tens of thousands of dollars in this one picture alone....
Do you think this stuff is just frivolous bling or something?
Have you considered that the "secrets" of the pros might just cost a little?

Attachments

• dre (388 x 291).jpg
    dre (388 x 291).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 146
Look buddy, if you are so convinced that you can make top flight stuff with nothing and we have established that there are no secrets, you must be the problem. If you don't have the ear or the understanding of your equipment that you need to get what you want out of it, it won't work for you.
Some people are just rappers (singers, guitar players, drummers, whatever) some people are just engineers. It's not a big deal, if you are good at rapping, rap. Let someone else worry about making you sound good.

Sillyhat said:
Look buddy, if you are so convinced that you can make top flight stuff with nothing and we have established that there are no secrets, you must be the problem. If you don't have the ear or the understanding of your equipment that you need to get what you want out of it, it won't work for you.
Some people are just rappers (singers, guitar players, drummers, whatever) some people are just engineers. It's not a big deal, if you are good at rapping, rap. Let someone else worry about making you sound good.

excellently stated I must say!

describe your tracking room please. what is the floor and walls made of? what are the dimensions? height of ceiling? vaulted ceilings? also, what pre are you using?

Thanks Middleman for the book listings and dvd...

I still aggree with Lordshire that there is a definite "commercial rap/hip-hop" sound that is superior (sometimes far superior) to a lot of lesser known cats... or even artists making sales and touring that have sold 20,000 copies or more. Undergroundish artists etc too.

Go on UGHH.com and get any of the top selling artists cd's then go get the new 50 or Young Jeezy... You'll say, why does the sound quality differ so much? Thats what I say anytime I hear a commercial rap artist compared to all these other lyricists.

I always read that its not necessarily the gear. I keep reading from professional engineers that you can get top quality and even that commercial sound with a home studio on a limited budget. I'm into a few books and I know I'll learn a lot from them about mixing, frequencys, etc. But as of now. I'm still wondering what it is.

I'm starting to realize that it is moreso to do with mixing skills. Adjusting vocals and beat sounds indiviually with EQ and volume to compliment each other throughout the track. Sadly this can be a lot of cutting at times I would think but I'm not sure yet I haven't tried much. I just got my setup. I've been recording for like the past 4 years at numerous other studios and never made anything I've liked for the simple fact of "time" being an issue and engineers not being "that good"... But hopefully I can make decent recordings with all the information I'm learning.

I still aggree about the very noticable sound differece from mainstreme music and un-signed artists.

Lordshire... I'd like to share with you a track from a dude I know. Hes not known. Made some sales. Has a web site. But his sound is really close to that "sound" we talk about. And besides him telling me the studio they used and the mic and sound interface used, etc. I kind of have to believe its the engineer. Cause the facility doesn't look the best but it is good. See... he has a few engineers/producers that are kinda known producing his shit. And I'm amazed everytime he shows me a new track for his upcoming cd... I'm like dude, how are you getting this sound quality? One of the producers he is lucky enough to have work with him has done tracks for The Winans including Mario Winans latest album I believe... (not totally sure about mario winans latest album [released by bad boy]) But yeah dude... its really close to that commercial sound and I'd be SOOOO happy to achieve that sound. Thought maybe you'd be interested in hearing it.

Because when you think about it some of the semi-pro digital equiptment today hsa to be better then the equiptment used 30 years ago when HITS were made. And the thing is even back then the recordings sound better then some of the stuff I hear from the lesser known "signed and unsigned" cats...

This book I'm reading pointed out that information. And when you think about it. Thats kinda true... Technology now is superior even in the lesser expensive gear then about 30 years ago. Another thing I'm learning is that well myself personally... I'm tempted to mix too much, and do too much.

Back when you only had your mixer tracks without a computer program. So for me its really tempting to overdo it. They made GOOD tracks with however many channels they had and thats that. EQ, Compressors, Hardware Effects & Signal Processors... These days we have an Adundant ammount of "stuff" we can just jammm onto tracks.

But thats getting more into mixing strategy then the topic at hand. Still might be useful to consider.

I think its in the gear first and formost... If a $60 condensor mic can't capture everything your voice is doing then its flawed. If a $6,000 mic captures every single tone someones voice offers when rappin. Obviously its going to get better sound. So the equiptment I think is a huge part of it. Then right after that engineering and knowing how to use that equiptment. And then tips, tricks, and skill that a enginner acquires througout their time spent with their trade.

I think its them three right there. And I think sadly I think its more do to the fact that most of can't aford a $6,000 mic. Shoot I know a local group that has a avalon preamp and $1,000 neuman and they still don't get the sound I would think they would from such expensive gear.

Them expensive mics must really capture a great quantity of information that the lesser one's dont? But how? Then i think of known producers that have been attributed to making hits for nas, fat joe, ja rule, etc. And I even seen one list their mic as an Audio Technica AT4040 ... WHAT? a $300 mic?

So some confusion in that but about the theory of one mic capturing more then another, I think thats true. I used that $60 MXL mic they sell with a beringer mixer and it sounded like shit... My friend uses that same mic with a $200 TASCAM setup and $100 alesis compressor and gets way better sound then the other setup but still...

So just in my experience alone, gear is a factor of course. Now knowing what gear to get from specifications they offer is a whole nother story i think.

im rambling like all the rest now... sorry... just mainly the same opinion listed over and over lol...

To reiterate what I said earlier, the most important things for a pro sound are:

1.) TIME to get it right--trust me, spending 4 hours on a track versus 100 hours results in a mega sound difference.

2.) SKILL of engineering--virtually anything nowadays can give a "pro" sound, the technology available is fantastic.

3.) TALENT of the artist. Trust me, talent *ALWAYS* shines thru no matter how cheap the gear, crunched the time schedule, or bad the engineering; and if you have time, gear and skill on your side coupled with talent... hell, YOU CAN'T MISS!

You also have to realize that when a big time producer talks about being able to get things done on a 'limited budget', he might not be talking about your kind of limited budget.

If he is used to spending $100,000 on an album, $50,000 is a 'limited budget'

Cloneboy Studio said:
To reiterate what I said earlier, the most important things for a pro sound are:

1.) TIME to get it right--trust me, spending 4 hours on a track versus 100 hours results in a mega sound difference.

2.) SKILL of engineering--virtually anything nowadays can give a "pro" sound, the technology available is fantastic.

3.) TALENT of the artist. Trust me, talent *ALWAYS* shines thru no matter how cheap the gear, crunched the time schedule, or bad the engineering; and if you have time, gear and skill on your side coupled with talent... hell, YOU CAN'T MISS!

Couldn't agree more but would like to extend #2 point by saying that whether you prefer to work with today's digital technology or yesteryear's analog, as many still do, "pro" sounding results can be obtained with either format by following the above 3 points presented so elequently by Cloneboy Studio. Well said.

~Daniel

cjacek said:
Couldn't agree more but would like to extend #2 point by saying that whether you prefer to work with today's digital technology or yesteryear's analog, as many still do, "pro" sounding results can be obtained with either format by following the above 3 points presented so elequently by Cloneboy Studio. Well said.

I agree that the format doesn't matter much anymore. It's just that you can get a lot of digital powrer very cheaply if you are a do-it-at-home person.

Cloneboy Studio said:
I agree that the format doesn't matter much anymore. It's just that you can get a lot of digital powrer very cheaply if you are a do-it-at-home person.

I feel we've been once around too often on the analog vs digital thing so I'll just pass on commenting any further .. I'll just say that each format has its advantages (and disadvantages) and some people prefer working with one over the other for a multitude of reasons, ones which I hope we won't have to rehash again .. This topic has been beaten to death already on several forums and only bad blood left over so lets leave it at that. Point is that it's about TIME, SKILL & TALENT.

~Daniel

no one is listening. no one is listening

WOW! (spelled backwards is wow.) Dear God. Its evident that the majority, if not ALL the people that have given a DEFINITE answer. Jay, Mid, SSGlen, and all that ive temporarily forgot, i apologize. When i say this, i mean it honestly and deep-heartedly. Each and everyone who was able to provide an answer, especially those that was able to give technical aspects to back up their answers and responses; as i was saying; its evident that you guys have a wide array of knowledge on many topics of recording. From gear, to techniques, and a host of other things that could be listed. Whatever knowledge that you have, especially if its knowledge that i havent previously acquired; I only hope to have THAT much info on this entire subject some day before i die. I MEAN THAT. Whatever knowledge that you ARE giving me; i'm soakin up like a brand new sponge. Been copyin' and writing shit down for about two weeks now. And applying all, if not most of it.That's not some sarcastic barb at either of you guys. I only wish i could name ONE piece in that picture, let alone tell you its properties and how they apply to recording. let me repeat,; these are honest words im sayin'; not wisecracks or sarcasm...

But this is.... I only hope and pray i dont have to compensate my common sense to acquire so much knowledge in a short lifetime. I am presently seeing the epitome of "you're so smart, you're stupid".

Where can i start?....THERE ARE NO SECRETS. THERE ARE NO TRICKS. How many times do i have to say, i understand this. Dont take things so literal. Without knowing, i may have believed before that there was maybe a piece of info that wasnt being shared openly. Even though i still have a small belief that there is something not told, i dont mean it like its some sort of international espionage! I see know... it's a lack of TOTAL comprehension. I wont ever call it those things, to make you ALL feel comfortable. Because even AFTER i stated, "O.K., i understand. Not a REAL secret or trick", you guys really amped it up about it not being. Almost as if YOU GUYS were paranoid that i sound as if i was getting somewhere. (Just my opinion). I know it aint like that, but, damn! Thats what it could be mistaken as.

I dont know just yet how to do the quote thing, but im sure you all know where these comments apply.

Mr. Head28.... If you read the posts you are replying to, you would have a better understanding of WHAT you're replying about. I gave it to you hypothetically, i guess i gotta' give it to you straight up. I may not can understand or name any of those pieces, but i am more than aware that they are expensive, and serve a very important role in some field of studio recording. I'm extremely adept at the actual CONSTRUCTION of the "pro skyscraper". I know ALLLL the odds and ends about certain procedures that pertain to the "building" aspects. Also, I didnt buy a $49.99 CAD. I didnt need it. Because ALL i was asking about was; There are 5000 other of these "pro" skyscraper, that are EXACTLY the same color. ANd all the other skyscrapers don't even come close to such "dazzling" color. But its not one of your average, everyday "colors" in your spectrum. How do you acquire that brilliant, astounding color, and what did you combine to get it? That's all! Not the BUILDING, but the color of it???? And NO!!! I dont think the shit is just frivolous bling!!! But answer this...

What do you guys consider home recording? Is it just because you are in your home? Maybe. Or possibly because of the immediate, timely, and financial convenience that it serves? Maybe. And why do people even GET into something like that anyways; you know; would rather do it at home than at a PROFESSIONAL studio? Hmmmmm? When is it no longer considered an amateur, "home" studio; and start to become a professional "business" studio?
You guys keep bringing up and talking about ALL this high-end, extra pricey and incredibly EXPENSIVE equipment. C'mon people! I'll bet my life that AT LEAST 50% of ALL the people that have been to this site hasn't spent $100,000 on their amateur, "home" studio. I may not have the best of the best, but by no means am i using NOTHING.(sillyhat). And everyone keeps getting it confused; i'm not asking to totally dupe the sound of the pros. Way ahead of everyone when i say, i know you can't get neumann quality from someyhing like your little computer mic, or a $20 karaoke mic. (i think i said something like that before)

Look. You're only trying to help; I THINK! I appreciate it all. But you are trying too hard to do something you CANT do. I commented already on some new info that no one has obviously seemed to comprehend, let alone think about. YOU SELECT FEW THAT HAVE RESPONDED SO FAR, CANT POSSIBLY ANSWER THIS QUESTION IF YOU'RE NOT FAMILIAR WITH CERTAIN PROCESSES OR PROCEDURES THAT MAY DEAL EXCLUSIVELY TO A CERTAIN GENRE OF MUSIC THAT YOU A)HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS BEING ASKED ABOUT, IN THAT SPECIFIC GENRE, AND B)YOU DONT LISTEN TO THAT GENRE. it is just that plain and simple. I'm asking for someone who is FAMILIAR with a certain SOUND in rap music. How can anyone possibly answer about a sound they never heard? I'm not mad at you cause you dont listen to rap. I'm not mad at all. But you have to at least be a LISTENER of the stuff you are trying to emulate, or provide an answer about said music. IF YOU DONT LISTEN TO RAP MUSIC, THEN YOU HAVE THE SLIGHTEST IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. IF YOU'VE NEVER ENGINEERED A VOCAL FOR A PROFESSIONAL RAP ARTIST OR LABEL, THAT HAVE THAT SOUND; THEN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! And I don't care if youve been engineering for 50 years. And almost all that responded had the nerve to say, "I've never mixed or worked with rap music", or, "I don't know hip hop", and things of the like.

They say never judge a book by it's cover, but im willing to bet that sillyhat, southside glen, metalhead, and others that have posted, are NOT avid listeners of rap music. Or seriously engineered a professional rap track, to KNOW what the professionals do and use. Nothing against you guys because of that, just stating a point. But how true is that? I could be wrong. I might be right.

Last edited:
Cloneboy Studio said:
It's just that you can get a lot of digital powrer very cheaply if you are a do-it-at-home person.

HMMMM? There it is again. Cheap and "at home" in the same sentence. Hmmmmm? It looks as if SOME people dont believe that those 2 words should be in conjunction with the "home" studio. Seems as if some people believe you should spend a quarter of a million dollars....efficiently.

Cloneboy Studio said:

1) Correct. Only if you need 100 hours to get it right. If what you are doing comes out top-notch, and is exactly what you want in 4 hours, how is adding 96 more hours going to "change" that? Why would anyone WANT to do that; if they have a GREAT track, already?

2) Absolutely correct. But dont tell some of the people posting on this thread that! I've been led to believe that a numerous (mass majority) amount of people here on this site, are VERY rich, and can buy the most expensive gear on the planet, known to mankind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to top it all off, if YOU (general) dont have this same 2 million dollar set up as the "proz" youre wasting your time trying.

3)L. M. A O.!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
This music we call rap b.k.a. hip-hop, is the culture that i adore. I haved loved it for 26 years of my short life. From every aspect of graffiti and dee-jaying; to rapping, and of course, b-boying. (breakdancing, for those...) It is what's been the drive and passion for me for 21 of those years; and believe it or not, it is one of the main reasons that im alive to this day. Its my passion. My Energy and motivation. So i have the right to say: Hip-Hop music, particularly rap, is THEEE most under-talented genre of the music art today. Yet, its theee most influential. Its the only multi-BILLION dollar industry, in the form of financial gain, where you DONT have to necessarily prove yourself worthy to be apart of; in SOME aspect as TALENT, pursey. Youre not on the NBA hardwood if you cant play basketball. Or the NFL gridiron, if you cant play football. Nor are you on wall street, if you cant read and count....FAST! But you CAN release an album or two in your hometown, sell them out of your trunk to all the people in your city; take your earnings (or money from.....), buy and sell more cds throughout the region and/or area you live; continue that process, and soon find yourself on the cover of Forbes mag. as one of the top 5 moneymakers for that year.... In the WORLD!!!! And the catch?..... Artist sounds like MUD! He's either saying the same thing over and over, or he's pretty much not saying anything at all! Need an example? Master P? Mike Jones? I respect their "game". I admire their ability to "hustle" the hell out of some cds. And they getz major props on having a "business" sense to get it done. But i pull no punches when i say, as rappers, they offer no sustenance. No "verbal meat" for all that "cheese"! Its mostly ALL recycled garbage that 100,000 other cats have said in the past. Good vibe; good musical composition(the beat). catchy hooks, and A GOOD SOUND can go a looooong way, baby! AND THEY DONT EVEN HAVE THIS "PROFESSIONAL", SIGNED TO A MAJOR LABLE SOUND ON THEIR VOCALS, BECAUSE THEY ARE INDEPENDENTS! Even though, they had access to the GEAR of the pros. The facilities of the pros, and so on.

I said all that to say it again.... If you LISTEN to rap music as one of your preferences, then you know what im saying. If you ENGINEER rap music, on a professional level, as a regular practice; then you know what im saying. Not 3 or 4 sessions in a 15 or 20 year career. But regularly. Professionally. Or...... If you have a "good" ear, and can just hear it, because you listen to the music, regularly; then you may know as well. There is a complete difference. Not in overall quality and volume. But a specific process and/or procedure (I dare not say secret or trick) applied to rappers vocals, by top-notch, knowledgable engineers.

Here's a quick line for ya'.............If you dont know rap. Then you dont know that.

If you know the answer, than answer

metalhead28 said:
Man, there are tens of thousands of dollars in this one picture alone....
Do you think this stuff is just frivolous bling or something?
Have you considered that the "secrets" of the pros might just cost a little?

Where is the confusion coming from? I personally KNOW three or four people in my neighborhood alone, has 10's of thousands of dollars worth of high quality, top-notch, and the most up to date gear available. I even know a few that had the money to spend, and purposely looked in every magazine, and read as many interviews they could find, on the "professional" gear. I'm talking went so far as to have the specs drawn out and implemented in the rooms EXACTLY as Kanye West has in one of his vocal booths. Damn it. I have an acquaintance of mine, whose father paid out 1.5 MILLION dollars for a building front for his studio location!!! NO JOKE!!! And he got EVERYTHANG!!!
No. I dont know what some of that stuff is, and couldnt begin naming it off. But he could, of course. Had four years of college for business, and engineerin as well. Its his hobby and pastime. And has about 4 or 5 rooms, on two floors alnoe, with racks like that, and even bigger, taller, and longer!

And you know what...................

Everything that comes out of his studio, does NOT have that SOUND on ANY of the rap artisits in my city that has recorded there. And he has access to 5 or 6 other so-called engineers. Dont know how professional or good they are. but they ARE available, nonetheless.

Back