What do commercial artists use?

??????????

grn said:
a lot of people in this thread have a lot to learn

The way you put that, O Great Brain of This Here Thread! Sounds like you have a lot to teach? Where were you when WE, The Useless Recording Peons, were seeking tutelage from your Holy Scrolls of Omniscient Recording Techniques for the Commercial Artist? And what MUST we do in order for Thou All Knowing to enlighten us with his Knowledge A'Plenty from the Recording Gods?!?! :rolleyes:

Startin' to see the whole "ebb and flow" of it all? I know; I'm an asshole. but see......

It's kinda' like a professor asking, "Why are all these ignorant students in my class?" or, "Why are they in school, if they don't know anything?" Just read these last two lines a few more times....It'll sink in! ;)

i see "no spell", too

;)

Hey Art? You've been notorious for badgering my poor name. (unless you have some sort of lisp problem, or something). lol.

But all jokes aside, there's no "H" in Sire. (im sure you can read that) :cool:

LordSire said:
;)

Hey Art? You've been notorious for badgering my poor name. (unless you have some sort of lisp problem, or something). lol.

But all jokes aside, there's no "H" in Sire. (im sure you can read that) :cool:

LOL..... actually for somereason i missed that everytime... that is halarious tho... is LordSire a word or phrase? And... i wonder if lord shire is too.... because why the fawk am i saying lord shire? hahaha

Okay this is a big thread and i dont kno how far its gotten... i only read about the first 2 pages.......... i am a newbie I been recordin on my own hip hop tracks for bout 4-5 years im only 18 and Im just now gettin into any real gear (condenser and preamp and real soundcard) but anyway heres a suggestion of somethin im tryin...... I got an acapella Cd of one of Eminem's albums (cause I know they have some of the best mixed tracks) now I dont expect to get anywhere near as good quality as what im listenin to with what I got..... but it cant hurt to listen to this and attempt to mimick this sound to the best of my ability............ So maybe you should try that....... just listen to some acapella tracks to get an ear for the type of stuff they do to there vocals....... It might help

IF THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID I APOLOGIZE BUT THIS THREAD WAS TO LONG FOR ME TO READ THE WHOLE THING

so, I what I want to know is:
Elliot Smith, self titled album (yeah, the one containing "Needle In the Hay")... I remember reading that he recorded the whole thing on a friend's guitar and a borrowed 8-track in his kitchen. Anybody know anything about this? The sound of that album is exactly what I want. (aside from the content) Great album, but not my style.
any info would be appreciated,
maybe this is the wrong thread?
-Jack

When you mentioned about the two groups 1 &2 and asked why one had that kind of pop to it, and sounded better, even though they both use the same equipment, the answer can a multitude of things, including but not limited to the number of tracks, how the tracks are mixed (as in what tracks are being emphasised and which ones aren't, etc etc etc.

if you've ever seen the process of how a musical band records and produces the final \tracks, then you'll understand that during the mix the possibilities are endless, even if you are using the exact same beginning tapes. You can come up with a variable of sounds from the same tracks, since the way they are mixed can vary so much.

So the best I can say to answer your question is it is probably a result of the producer and engineer comeing up with the sound they liked (which had more *pop* to it) then the other crew.

It's all good

No big deal, Artist. ;) I saw it as funny, too. I've been MIA, trying ALL the stuff you guyz have been recommending to try. I'm still coming' up a little short, but i think that might be because my gear. But I will admit, these things i have tried are VERY close, a whole helluva lot closer than anything i have tried before! I can see a lot of things for what they are. AND WHO WOULD'VE KNOWN THAT EQ WAS SOOOOO IMPORTANT TO THE SOUND OF A MIX!!!!!! Thanx fellas! You guys (and/or girlz) have put me on the right track. But i'm far from done, i know this.

Back