what brand of guitar/bass do you use?

Which brand of guitar or bass to you prefer?

• Gibson

Votes: 48 15.3%
  • Fender

Votes: 94 29.9%
  • ESP

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Ibanez

Votes: 33 10.5%
  • Jackson

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Rickenbacher

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Washburn

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Oscar Shmidt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 103 32.8%

• Total voters
Harmony
Samick
Tradition
Regal
LTD ESP
Crafter
Fender
Jackson
IBANEZ
Hagstrom
Spector

Strings and sticks and pretty metals....
:D:D:D

In The Stable

This isn't all of the guitars...just the ones that matter

Guitar # 1...The BastardCaster
-Late 80's/early 90's Stratocaster with EMG's and 15 dB boost, Fender foto flame neck, aftermarket tuners, "string savers" saddles. Purchased from a friend that had bounced it back & forth between himself and another for the last 12 years.
-THE guitar that goes out for my regular gig and any substitute/support gigs otherwise. Records well at home, though not the first choice. The only guitar I've ever had that is truly multi-dimensional

Guitar # 2...1980 Ibanez AS-100 semi-hollow
-semi-hollow jazz box with Super 58 pickups
-blues jams, straight jazz gigs, and the occasional first set (if we're playing nothing but dinner music). Sounds great. First choice if I go to play a restaurant.

Guitar # 3...1982 Squier Telecaster
-Japanese Squier tele w/stock pickups. Guitar finish is a sad attempt at tobacco-burst done by previous owner, but a great sounding tele...MUCH better than the '94 American Telecaster I owned for a minute...and promptly disposed of.
-Used it for my former gig (country rock, southern rock, blues, pop), but it turns out that this one sounds THE BEST of all when I record direct through my Line6 Pod XT. Makes a great stand-in for the current gig (soul, motown, R&B, funk) though I prefer the BastardCaster.

Guitar # 4...1971 Les Paul Custom cherry sunburst (fretless wonder)
-bone-stock, heavy-as-hell, great for rock but INCREDIBLY hard to play since the frets are damned near non-existant.
-Used for jazz gigs and rock gigs. I don't take it out of the house much. Got it from a family member, and it has great sentimental value.

Guitar # 5...2001 Martin 000M Mahogany Auditorium
-Previous owner installed a Fishman pickup, but no on-board controls. -Records okay, does a great job at weddings and funerals. I rarely play an acoustic gig. It did well for the stuff I was recording in spring.

Guitar # 6...1985 (maybe?) Squier Precision bass
-Previous owner installed EMG's
-Used to record at home. Just a simple Japanese P-Bass that does the job each time I need it.

Guitar # 7...Cort's copy of a Curbow 5 string fretless
-A decent sounding fretless bass that only cost me one current issue Mexican Fender Stratocaster in trade.
-Sounds good, though it will tell on you if your intonation is off.

Crappy Epiphone electric guitar (kind of like a LesPaul), a Yamaha bass (which I absolutely love), and a Yamaha acoustic guitar. The bass and acoustic are here to stay. I'm going to give away the crappy Epiphone as soon as I buy something nicer. I'd never sell the Ep, because I don't think it's worth five bucks.

`Guitar:
Fender Telecaster - always. i find it always gives the widest tone pallette for my styles
Ovation Celebrity - there are better sounding acoustics, sure, but its comfortable and durable

Bass:
'81 PEAVEY T-40

hands down my favorite bass of all time. It weights a metric ton. It has some very useful circuitry. Two tone controls, two volume controls, a selector switch, and a phase switch.
The cool part is this though - each pickup is actually wired so that when the tone nob for that pickup is below the 8(ish) setting, the pickup is phased as a humbucking pickup. once the tone is sharpened past that, though, it switches to single coil.

this gives me a HUGE choice of sounds, that are all full-bodied and amazing. they're getting harder to find in good condition though

Attachments

• t40.jpg
    t40.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 100
Voted Rick for bass. Played a Fender for a while in a band through a Ampeg Portaflex and just never liked the sound. Same for a Gibson EB2D. The Rick (I have a 4001) has the bite I wanted and the scale seems just right for my tastes.

Guitars I really have no preference. I own a 69 ES335, a 66 Rick 360-12 and a newer Yamaha "strat style". That way I've got the humbucker and single coil sounds to play with. Played a PRS and was disappointed with the sound, but loved the wood. Played a Parker during the same store visit and liked it much better than the PRS. Always wanted a Vox Phantom (6 or 12). I just think they look cool.

This can be said for both bass and guitar, I like a fuller coloring box. I actually have more amps than guitars, some tube, some SS for the same reason.

1962 Fender Six, 1964 Gretsch, 1962 Gibson EB3, 1962 Burns converted to fretless, 1970 EB2, 1970 Fender Jazz, 1976 JD Supernatural, 1982 Steinberger, 1989 Yamaha Five string, Guild/De armond Starfire plus two 3/4 double bass's and I love them all!!!!!
Elder boingggg!!!

fender strat

used to be ibanez rx series but as i got older and wanted to play many more styles i found fender strat was the way to go.

on a budget when i bought so i played a whole heap and found a mexican deluxe players strat that had the authentic strat sound. definately prefer the usa deluxe players strat but they are heaps more expensive in australia

Mostly Telecasters, depending. Sometimes Gretsch (which should be in the poll!). Any P90 equipped guitar is also a great choice at times!

1984 Ibanez Artist AM-50 semi-hollow, 1998 Gibson LP Custom, 1998 Epiphone SG 6/12 doubleneck, 80's-90's-ish Fender acoustic, Ovation 12 string acoustic/electric, late 60's Epiphone acoustic, cheapo Washburn bass.

Although my current collection numbers 17 (guitars & basses, electrics & acoustics), the ones I find myself gravitating to most often, as I gear up to start recording are:

guitar 1 - leads & rhythms = Gibson Les Paul Faded Double Cut, Peavey JF2 EX, Epiphone Les Paul Jr. 90 and Fender So Cal Speed Shop Strat

guitar 2 - leads & rhythms = Fender Bass VI

bass = Fender Standard Precision Bass or Epiphone EB3 SG Bass

I'll be recording original rockabilly and surf instrumentals, along with a hybrid of the two that I call surfabilly. Choosing between the Gibson and Peavey will be a matter of deciding what kind of twang I want...solid body twang (Gibson) or air moving around inside twang (Peavey). I have Bigsby B5 vibratos for both Les Pauls (along with roller bridges and locking tuners), and I even have a Gibson P90 p'up for the Epiphone, but for never seeming to find the time to get 'em to a tech for the mods, and now that I've actually got a digital recorder (8-tracks), I'll play both LPs bone stock, initially. The Fender Bass VI will be used extensively, for my own unique style within the genres I've specified. While I'll mostly use my Fender bass, in the "lay down the groove department," there's several songs I've developed for which the more "muddy" thump of the EB3 would be more appropriate. The So Cal Speed Shop Strat will be for my hot roddin' instrumentals.

Matt

Back