Waiting for HD24XR,,,

zozoe

As I branch out from my 1" analog world, I wait for my Alesis piece to come, and I have a question or 2 for my fellow users;

>First, on the XR model, is it that you can record on only 12 tracks @ 96kHz at one time, or can you then go back to record on the OTHER 12 tracks @ 96??

>Also, which IDE drives have proven to be the most reliable & quietest? Seagate,Maxtor?

>Lastly & most important, being that I have so many projects that I'll be transferring from my 1" 16 track machine, and I don't plan to have IDE's all over the place along with backups, how & what would be the best way to backup the raw unmixed data to DVD? Running either etherlink or using the fireport, and running that to my computer DVD burner? Any stand alone burners to consider? Is this a common practice?

Thanks for all the advice thus far!!

You only get 12 tracks at 96k. They say it's because of transfer speed limitations with standard ide drives. They could have made something proprietary but then you couldn't just go get any old drive off the shelf and use.

As far as backing up your old 1" tapes. You'd probably be better off keeping it on the tape. It has a better chance of surviving 25 years of storage than DVD or hard disk.

I agree, don't get rid of your original tapes, but you can transfer them to the HD24 and then transfer them to your PC and burn them to DVD.

I would stick with Maxtor and Western Digital for hard drives.
I have had too many Seagates and Fujis go bad bad.

You are going to love the HD24.

I dont know about the 12@96 question as I have the standard HD24, but I've found that as long as you stick with major brand drives, they will work just fine.

I use Seagate and Western, which ever is cheaper at the time :)

A couple of years ago, we did a drive survey on the HD24 list. The basic result was that there was no trend at all toward brands that did or didn't work. Every brand had some proponents and some detractors.

I've never had an HD24 drive fail, so I can vouch for all of them <g>.

Back