Tube replacement in the ART pre-amp

Brad166

Has anyone out there tried replacing the tubes in ART preamps. I just wonder if you could hear any improvement by putting in some nice Electro-Harmonix tubes or J/Js. Any thoughts......

try some NOS (new old stock) tubes or even used ones. like an RCA "greyplate"12AX7. you can buy some used ones that are tested to make sure theres life left in them.

I'll take used tubes from the 50's and 60's anyday over new JJ or EH. :)

also try differen't kinds of tubes: 12ax7, 12at7, 12ay7, it's alot of fun to mix and match tubes for differen't sounds.

Last edited:
I bought this KIA... just wondering... will it perform a whole lot better if I drop in the engine from a Porsche?

hey Brad166, don't be put off by the ribbing. (even though it's a point well taken).

They don't understand that some people just can't afford chandlers, API's, and GML's. We would ALL have neve boards in our livingrooms if we could afford it. But we have to do with what we got. so if your asking what will make YOUR ART pre sound just alittle better, I'd still say put a nice tube in it. :)

I wasn't mocking you, I was mocking Porsches. However the first answer you got is pretty good. A few days ago I tested several tubes in a Dual MP with the conclusion that a vintage GE tube was a marked improvement--it beat out the stock Ei, a vintage Sylvania, and the unlabeled tubes from a Pro MPA (visually different from the Ei). This is so much fun I'm buying a selection of old tubes to try out some more.

There are a ton of vintage tubes auctions on eBay; you can probably score an old GE tube, tested, for less than $10.

Personally I wouldn't buy an API if I could afford it, because that would be a total waste of a nice preamp. Nothing wrong with being a hobbyist here.

I don't think it will make a noticeable difference. There are too many other less than high quality parts in there. No slam intended, it'd be like putting Elixirs on a crappy guitar and listening for a difference. (Wait,there probably would be a difference) Never mind

The fact is that the tube wouldnt be the engine(more alongthe line of a turbocharger)...but the tube will improve the sound...ive put Mullards in all of my tube devices and noticed drastic improvements in sonic charicter.

Does it make any difference in the "tewb" models? And is ART doing any pres that aren't tewb?

Brad166 said:
Has anyone out there tried replacing the tubes in ART preamps. I just wonder if you could hear any improvement by putting in some nice Electro-Harmonix tubes or J/Js. Any thoughts......

Brad,

I had an art pro mpa that I put the JJ's/Eurotubes in as replacements. I'm not a big fan of the starved plate budget tube stuff, but yes it did make a difference. now maybe the old tubes were just old and any tube would make a difference in sound. however, at the time I had just received a new tube from dbx for my 376. I orederd a JJ's/Eurotubes for it along with 2 for the art. when I put the JJ's in the 376 it did sound sharper than the new phillips tube sent to me from dbx....the art sounded a bit sharper as well. I wouldnt spend the money on a pair of $100.00 telefunkin tubes for your art, but the JJ's are nice and better sounding than the phillips, sovetek, etc.

The ART pro MPA took 2 ECC83S
just email him and tell exactly what art model preamp you have. he's up in oregon great prices with great service (I think I called him as well)

http://www.eurotubes.com/

Brad166 said:

Most of the newer budget tube pres Like the Art Tube MP and the Bellari MP105 use the Sovtek 12AX7-WA or the Chinese made 12AX7. The Sovtek is the least worst of the two, but it shouldn't really be in a mic pre.

Yes, you can improve the sound by replacing it with a JJ/Tesla ECC83S, which is one of the best out there for the price. I've seen them priced anywhere from $7.00 to $12.00. There is a huge difference in tube quality and characteristics from one maker to the next.

However a more involved modification is needed to realize the best possible performance. If you have the Tube MP, email Black Lion Audio for a free pdf doc of the upgrade.

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/tube_mp.htm

:cool:

Hey Starved Plate people. Does the Art Gold pre take care of that?

Just wondering if 300v is enough for the plate in the variable setting in that Art gold pre thing.

It looks nice :) like an old stereo amp. and goes for almost $500.

Is it more expensive to provide high voltage in gear? Bigger caps, bigger transformer maybe? Does it do what is expected of good gear?

not that I'm in the market any time soon, but for info in future or for my insight into engineering....

Back