Tube amp 'whistle' problem

or more simply ..... the offending tube is likely in the V1 position.

Well, V1 was the one that sounded different, but like I said, since all 3 have different functions, I thought that might account for the difference in tone.

All I can get locally is a Groove Tubes, which is what is already in there, so I'm gonna order an Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH. We'll see what happens and I will report back.

Thanks for all of the help and opinions.

Well, V1 was the one that sounded different, but like I said, since all 3 have different functions, I thought that might account for the difference in tone.

All I can get locally is a Groove Tubes, which is what is already in there, so I'm gonna order an Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH. We'll see what happens and I will report back.

Thanks for all of the help and opinions.

Valves all perform different "functions". Tone stack driver or PI but so long as they are the same type number they can be swapped around and as I said, one that is miccy in front end (V1) position might well perform perfectly in another.

I have always found the EH 83s to be....Well!.... Microphonic! Can you not cast your net a bit wider?

Dave.

I'm with ECC83 here ..... if you're gonna order one then order something that we have experience with. I've had good luck with JJs also.

I get mine at Antique Radio Supply ....... plus you can actually call up and talk to someone who knows their tubes.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/vacuum_tubes

I've found them to be very helpful .....

Another place I get tubes:
www.thetubestore.com - Your online source for audio vacuum tubes.

Get some JJs ...... and they have different models of 12ax7's, so if Antique Radio has some that they're rating as extra quiet for a couple more bucks I'd get that.

Should cost 10-15 dollars.

Hell, they have a package of 3 JJ's for $29.95.

But you can almost surely get by with just one.

Back