Guitar pot question

I just thought you might find those books interesting.
btw, I book marked that link. I'll go over them thoughtfully eventually.
Tube amps are an old thing to me. I went to a specialized college a few decades ago to learn consumer electronics. I just wished I had copied the in classroom textbook they payed Neve to make that went over parts construction and their sound in different parts of the circuit. Because I haven't been able to find data over it. But yes, modding should be done by people who will sit down with you and try different things. Even though there are some that will be predictable to install that would be the best improvement. Someday I might open up a thread on the best modding practices and construction of tube amps. Of course, that one on ignore (ecc83) will always chase the electrons and say some sort of nonsense.

Then it happens in a lot of them and some of them are not cheap.
What do you mean by ‘not cheap’? It’s a simple thing for a trained tech to sus out a ground short in an electric guitar. It would take me 15-30 minutes tops. It might only take me 1 minute to sus it out.

What do you mean by ‘not cheap’? It’s a simple thing for a trained tech to sus out a ground short in an electric guitar. It would take me 15-30 minutes tops. It might only take me 1 minute to sus it outa.
I don't really care. I have a volume control pedal I always use and it is never a problem.

Then it happens in a lot of them and some of them are not cheap.
As I explained very early on in this thread, the effect is simply due to the changing terminating resistance "seen" by the amplifier's input stage which alters the amount of hum pickup...some of which is local to the front end of the amp and so not really the fault of the guitar.
Having full internal screening of the guitar's control cavity will help a lot. Also check thst the amp chassis is tied to a solid ground and if not ground it!

I used to have a single coil G pup cast in wax in a metal box as a constant 'load' for amp front ends so that I could test noise levels with a standard termination. No two guitars are the same.

I CAN draw pictures if you want. DOH!

Dave.

As I explained very early on in this thread, the effect is simply due to the changing terminating resistance "seen" by the amplifier's input stage which alters the amount of hum pickup...some of which is local to the front end of the amp and so not really the fault of the guitar.
Having full internal screening of the guitar's control cavity will help a lot. Also check thst the amp chassis is tied to a solid ground and if not ground it!

I used to have a single coil G pup cast in wax in a metal box as a constant 'load' for amp front ends so that I could test noise levels with a standard termination. No two guitars are the same.

I CAN draw pictures if you want. DOH!

Dave.
Don't waste your time. I read your explanation and a dozen others.

Back