truth B2031A is that last berry product ill buy

altiris

I spent $339 dollars on a pair of berry monitors. I say it was a waste of money. One of the tweeters is making a buzzing distortion sound. I don’t think want to utilize the warranty as it will cost a lot to ship 30 lb. I’m never going to buy berhinger again! Any one have any advice on a pair of monitors at that price range. But before I get a new pair I would like to know if the tweeter is replaceable? Like if I can just find an of the shelf tweeter and put it in. I mean any tweeter should work right? I know this will change the sound but I cant stand that annoying distortion. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

All Behringer stuff should come with a warning, not a warranty.

I A/B'd the Truths alongside a few other monitors when I bought the wharfedale 8.2As. They sounded over hyped in the bottom end, mids sounded scooped and the highs were shrill to my ears. They actualy sounded more like a cheap HiFi speaker to my ears. If the price wasn't so attractive at the time I wouldn't have given them a second look let alone a listen.

I've said on here a few times if you HAVE to buy Behringer, make sure you buy from a store with a good returns policy. When I bought the V-Amp Pro I had to return it to the store because it kept losing it's memory. They gave me a straight swap for a new one which started to cut out after a few minutes of playing, they swapped that AGAIN before I got one that finaly worked and has continued to work flawlessly for over a year now.

I think the most reliable Behringer piece seems to be their headphone amps by reading other peoples experiences on here. I have the HA4700 and never had a problem with it.

Would I buy Behringer again? NO! Definately not. It's a bit like passing your driving test, you start off with the cheapest banger you can put on the road, then you upgrade as you learn more about cars. Behringer is that starting banger in my book. You live, you learn.

Good luck

I opened it up last night. The tweeter was not hard to take out. I think I can get something else in there. But first Im going to see if I can get a replacement part. I read once somewhere that the parts were expensive, considering they’re cheap. The enclosure is made of pressed cardboard. It looked like wood on the outside. It had simulated wood grain. Now I feel like taking the whole thing apart.

those behringers sound like dogshit. i had a pair of the passives once. jesus, they were unusable.

and i'm not a behringer hater either. those monitors just could not be used for monitors, plain and simple.

And to think I defended them at one point. when I first got interested in recording berry came up as "cheap but good". zzounds and musicians friend catolog had whole pages dedicated for their products and labeled as "best Sellers". even the reviews on the sites were at par with other more expensive ones. but I guess we all get excited about something new and search a beleive the ads. I guess I learned now. but wharfedale 8.2As did come up as something to look into. Lemon.

I work at the call center for zZounds and people order a heck of a lot of Behringer stuff. I'm not really allowed to bring up how much it sucks unless they ask about it specifically, in which case I can suggest that they maybe invest more money in a more solid product. I feel kind of bad every time I place an order for a Behringer mixer.

You asked for a recommendation - I just bought a pair of Tannoy Reveal 6 monitors thru Sweetwater for $399 and they sound considerably better than my old Yamaha NS-10's. I think I got a good product for the price.

I like my ADA8000...it's not bad. Relatively clean and quiet with ADAT output for $230. My composer compressor is a great cheap compressor for my P.A. (where I don't give a crap about sound quality...I just need to not clip the amp).

But I sure wouldn't buy Behringer for something as crucial as monitors.

Whoopysnorp said:
I work at the call center for zZounds and people order a heck of a lot of Behringer stuff. I'm not really allowed to bring up how much it sucks unless they ask about it specifically, in which case I can suggest that they maybe invest more money in a more solid product. I feel kind of bad every time I place an order for a Behringer mixer.

I'm also kind of in your shoes, dude.
But you try telling someone who thinks that Behringer is *expensive* to buy something better!!
(There's a lot of tight-arsed nuff nuffs out there)

I think that it has been said over and over again that Behringer make really good 'starting out' equipment. Their gear is cheap and allows you to get started on your musical endeavours. Once you have worked out what you're doing you'll undoubtedly be aware of the limitations of owning cheap gear.
Mind you, if the factory in China started doing better QA on their products, it might still be a semi-pro gear company.

Dags

I have a friend that has a pair of those, and I threw up a little when I ran some stuff through them.

I'm not a gear snob by any means, but those were just terrible.

I know how to make my NS10's sound good, with those Berry's i just wanted to burn them.

I've been really digging the Mackie HR624's and the HR824's lately.

i was talking to my physics friend...what exactly does make 8" speaker "A" better than 8" speaker "B"?

once again, materials/time/design (adhering to tight specs)...it costs more money.blah,blah,blah...

in monitor land, i don't really pay much attention to "they sounded like puke" from others, i read it being a gearhead but it doesn't mean much to my decision.

but the "my amp blew out, or the tweeters started crackling after 45 days, or i didn't recieve them in the mail for 4 months.." threads play a big role in my tiny money spending.

comparing $1200 speakers to $300 speakers, i would hope they do sound alot better? :eek: thats the whole point...ROI...return on investment.
is there really $600-800 difference? in my room??

thats why i called my physics-brain buddy, reassurance, unbiased second opinion, he's a brain that can have a beer and talk in lamens terms ... as i defended the "materials" debate for the cheaper stuff...and "can you really hear it?" or is it just self indulgence because someone has money...a Lexus or a Toyota line?

He started changing the subject from speakers to the room acoustics....they go hand in hand.
You may have to invest in the room to enjoy the benefits of the higher end sht at some point. I could agree with this concept.

I can dig it, In a drywall bedroom with a noisy upstairs neighbor and a big window next to your surf board and mixing equipment it probably doesn't justify $3,000 speakers.....

in a tuned, trapped, diffused room....thats where you put the NS10's?

my brain hurts. :p :rolleyes:

I agree with it being start out equipment but at least give me more time with it before giving me problems. The thing that got me was the "more features for you money".
and they go on about matched pair and have some paper that says an engineer tested them and matched them. I guess it seemed that more is better. Like more channels, eq, options, routing.

COOLCAT said:
in a tuned, trapped, diffused room....thats where you put the NS10's?

Yeah, one under the desk to rest your feet on and the other by your chair to rest your beer on....not to mix with

altiris said:
with buying off the shelf reputable speakers has anyone made their own with good resultes?

Yes, I built my monitors. Well I stuffed them, I scavenge the cabinets. I'm not too good at woodworking, and a cabinet is a cheap MDF box.

Mine are somewhat like this kit:

http://www.madisound.com/cygnet2.html

If you have a pair of stereo speakers you can stuff those drivers into, for $270 I'm absolutely sure they will totally kill the Behris. Of course those are passive, you would need an amp too.

what about pulling everthing out of the berries. It seemed easy to open when I looked inside it looked like I can take it all apart easy. even though its pressed paper it feels solid. I'll do some research on building my own.

altiris said:
I spent $339 dollars on a pair of berry monitors. I say it was a waste of money. One of the tweeters is making a buzzing distortion sound. I don’t think want to utilize the warranty as it will cost a lot to ship 30 lb. I’m never going to buy berhinger again! Any one have any advice on a pair of monitors at that price range. But before I get a new pair I would like to know if the tweeter is replaceable? Like if I can just find an of the shelf tweeter and put it in. I mean any tweeter should work right? I know this will change the sound but I cant stand that annoying distortion. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

hell, i'd at least call them and ask for a replacement or something?

as far as buying again, i don't blame you...but why not use the warranty or maybe ship back for full warranty, they pay shipping sometimes i've read.

how old are they or were they before the buzzing started?

good luck...

Back