Why buy an expensive headphone? Please read it all to get my point...

I've been using Koss Pro4's....
.... but they get rather heavy after 15 or 20 minutes of work.

That they do!.
I have 8 pairs...but I only give those out to other people when needed, and I mostly stay with the lighter Fostex phones these days. :p

The Koss are great headphones, and that's why they isolate so well, 'cuz when you clamp then on, they're on!
I will use the Koss when the drummer is playing, and he gets a pair of them as well.

When that's all I had & used back in the day....OMFG...I use to have them on for like 12 hours at a time during long sessions. Honestly, my ears would hurt, not inside, but on the outside from how snug the Koss would fit...they would kinda' crush your ears after being on for hours.

I've used a variety of headphones over the years, but I've only ever bought cheaper ones. That's because for me they are only a means to an end: tracking and silent editing. So long as they are reasonable for doing that, I'm happy. At the moment I'm using assorted AKG headphones which work fine.

I have to say that some time ago I had a few Behringer HPM2000 (or some number like that) which I really did enjoy listening through, and for some astonishingly low price, were very good. But it was just them, and not the 1000 or 3000, which weren't very nice. However, they were fragile, and I kept breaking them. The more robust AKGs last way longer.

I've used a variety of headphones over the years, but I've only ever bought cheaper ones. That's because for me they are only a means to an end: tracking and silent editing. So long as they are reasonable for doing that, I'm happy. At the moment I'm using assorted AKG headphones which work fine.
Hey Gecko, what AKG models would you refer? I think I am about to step into some kind of headphone addiction so would be nice to have some options to try on.

:)

What do you consider an "expensive" set of headphones?

You could make a mix on cheap apple earbuds if you want to. And it can even come out very good once you've learned how to work with those earbuds. But why? You don't have to buy anything you don't want to buy. One reason to have decent cans is simply so listening isn't annoying. I use tracking headphones for tracking. They attenuate outside noise. With drums and loud amps, this is a must. But they sound like shit. I don't care, I'm just tracking. For general listening and detail work, I use some better cans. They sound okay and don't lie to me too much. For mixes, monitors.

I check my mixes in ear buds all the time but headphone mixing is the pits.

The Audio Technica ATH-M50x looks like a top-notch headphone option.
Closed-back, come with three sets of detachable cables (coiled long, straight long and straight short).

Good post!

This has been an interesting post (with a few babble/snipes). Thanks to our new friend to the south.
I was recently surprised at the clarity and hidden musical gems listening through my Radio Shack wireless headphones to Pandora. They are decent sounding and are great for doing mundane chores around the house. I usually don't expect much from my computer running youtube or mp3s. I record these for my kids and realize they miss so much in the music they easily accept the crap on the radio for music. Time for another music appreciation class.... Kiddies gather round.... This is Carol Kane.....she has played on every good song ever written......

Back