Treat me right.

scott free

...is not my real name.
Hello folks,
Great forum, helpful and knowledgeable members, awesome.

I'm a skilled DIYer on a budget, looking to treat my finished ceiling in my new recording/rehearsal space and your suggestions are welcomed, see photo.

Thanks
Scott.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 355
Hi Scott

In asking how to treat this space, you leave a lot of open questions. First of all would be what is wrong with the space? Answer that and you will get a much more useful level of response.

If what you seek for the ceiling is to reduce reflections, there are a variety of ways to hang absorptive gobo's and matts. For instance in my studio I wanted to treat the ceiling above mix position. I took two layers of heavy duty felt carpet padding (the type that is rubberized on one side) and covered it with burlap. With the rubber sides facing each other, I used a metal grommet kit to assemble and then hung it from the ceiling using screw hooks. It was very cheap and is very effective with the upper range of frequencies I wanted to treat.

This was a case of identifying the problem first, then engineering a solution.

Don

You need to cover all that exposed wood with insulation for starters.

;) Just kidding.

Nice looking wood paneling....why on the ceiling and not the walls though?

Anyway...looks like you have a lot of bare walls, and I'm not sure about your floor...so, you may need to look at the bigger picture before you focus on the ceiling.

Yeah, this is a new room and your right it is bare and ready for treatment.

That's tongue and groove pine on the ceiling which covers 2 layers of 5/8" drywall hung on furring strips with a layer of hushboard against the ceiling joists and R30 in the bays.

The walls are double layer 5/8" drywall hung on resilient channel with a layer of hushboard against the studs, R19 in the bays.

Floor is finished concrete with area rugs.

Bass traps, and diffuser arrays for high, mid, and low are in the works.

My knee jerk reaction to the ceiling was to create wool traps and tip them at various angles facing the sweet spot at the desk and high freq absorbsion behind the monitors and flanking each side of my chair.

Am I headed in the right direction?

Cover the Ceiling

My knee jerk reaction to the ceiling was to create wool traps and tip them at various angles facing the sweet spot at the desk and high freq absorbsion behind the monitors and flanking each side of my chair.

Am I headed in the right direction?

Treating for the "sweet spot at the desk" is good for Playback/Mixdown. But as a "Recording and Rehersal Space", I'd suggest covering the entire ceiling.

Rich Smith

Nice looking ceiling. I'd start by treating the corners of the room. If you are actually sitting and mixing in there, then a cloud over the mix position would probably help. But, to start, I'd just do the wall corners and see what you need from there... :)

Nice looking ceiling. I'd start by treating the corners of the room. If you are actually sitting and mixing in there, then a cloud over the mix position would probably help. But, to start, I'd just do the wall corners and see what you need from there... :)

I agree, though I think the ceiling will almost be a certainty. You might want to consider building nice absorbers with exterior frames and whatnot...that's a really nice ceiling. I'd want to dress it up a little. :D

Frank

Thanks folks, good stuff. I'm leaning toward the corner traps and cloud first. I do want some liveliness on the "record side" of the room. so I'll see how it goes after those installs. Maybe a couple of 6' folding gobos set up behind the chair and under the cloud will help during mixdown too. Time to pick up some materials. Thanks again.
Scott.

I meant to post it over here :-/

Just ordered my 703 and 705 from...
https://www.acoustimac.com
$318 delivered!

See drawing.
6) 703 Clouds in the live area.
4) 705 Clouds over the desk.
2) 705 Bass traps back wall
2) 703 on the back wall flanking a DIY 4x4 skyline diffuser
2) 703 behind the mains on the wall
2) 703 on the sidewalls near the desk

I can't wait...I'll post photos.
Yay!
Scott.

Attachments

• Treatment.jpg
    Treatment.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
the new phonebook is here the new phonebook is here!!! I am somebody.

My OC 703 and 705 was waiting on the doorstep when I got home from work yesterday. Time to look at fabric and build up some frames.
YAY!
Scott.

Attachments

• PA240058.jpg
    PA240058.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 290
  • PA240043.jpg
    PA240043.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 293
More pics!

Hello folks, I just added more photos to my "New studio build" album.
This time I'm building up acoustic panels made with 2" OC 703.
Things are moving along, and me and my band are getting psyched up!
Check it out here: https://homerecording.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=78

In the spirit of Thanksgiving I just want to say, I am so thankful to have a partner who has been so supportive and helpful throughout this entire project.
Thank you, Annie <3
Happy Holidays, everyone!

Attachments

• fin.jpg
    fin.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 253
Nice...I really, really like the pattern.
Yea, reminds me of this....:D except these are "diffusers"...;)

is.php

fitZ:D

Thanks for the positive feedback fellas.
I have some solid color fabric too. But I wanted to break it up a little.
Wait...that reminds me...I need to stop and pick up some more spray adhesive on my way home tonight ;)

I'm all about photos, I'll post more as I go.
Thanks again,
Scott.

BTW Rick,...that rendering is bananas...wild looking back wall, I like it!

Fresh off my workbench

Clouds over mix position. (OC705's)
Color "Chocolate Bar"
More photos at my profile :)
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, everyone!
Esso es!
Scott.

Attachments

• clouds.jpg
    clouds.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 241
Dude your studios gonna be tight! I looked at your pictures and your quite the DIY'er! Are you a carpenter by trade?

I collect good pictures of peoples studios for reference and ideas and I definitely had to save your work in progress. Cant wait to see it finished!

You really did your homework on treating the walls etc. Great looking panels too!!! Big fan lol. Especially the pattern ones.

Back