Too much high end in overheads?

lttoler

I am putting together a demo for my cover band and everything is sounding good to me except an unpleasant sound that I believe is in the high in somewhere. In the final mix, the cymbals seem to have too much presence and take over the track. I have to turn the overheads down to where you can barely hear them to tame the sound, so this leads me to believe that it may be an EQ problem. I have the lows rolled off at 100 and slight compression, but that's it.

I have attached a clip of the drums only for one song. It has some guitar bleed which I am fine with. Any advice on EQing or mixing this would be great! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• drum sample.mp3
    826.5 KB · Views: 32
I didn't think it was overly irritating. It was a little thin but not horrible. Maybe a high shelf starting at 6khz and turn it down a db or two? Adjust to taste from there. But I wouldn't do too much. It's easy to screw that stuff up.

For one it sounds like you have a lot of phasing going on. Was there any thought to the overhead placement, or did you just throw em up there? It just sounds that way to me. Bad overhead placement in a bad room. Secondly, those cymbals don't sound too nice. So you've got what I think is poor overhead placement combined with bad sounding cymbals in a bad room. That's not a good start. Having said all that, I don't find the overheads as having too much high end. They're not bright, they just don't sound good.

Back