This aint personal...(personal note)

Hey, we should use this username to critique bazzleboy so he can't fire off on us for not liking his crapola.

Awesome! Send it over.

That'll be hillarious! Every reviewer using the same name to rip on his junkie songs. :D

Ever occur to you that maybe YOU'RE the problem in need of the disclaimer, not a disclaimer about a problem with everyone else?

jake-owa said:
Just thought this thread could use a resurface for the more sensitive people around.
I want the password too... could be fun. No wait, I am going to make an alter ego, even better.....

Bwaahahahaaaaa!!!!!

Pinky said:
Ever occur to you that maybe YOU'RE the problem in need of the disclaimer, not a disclaimer about a problem with everyone else?
What happened to ignoring me?

I write in my post what your song inspires me to...period.

Pull your opanties out of your craw and go on with your life.

wow, I never knew you all felt this way. Good thread.

All this time I thought Jake was being funny, who knew he really felt so strongly about the issues facing people's mp3 posts.

Whenever I was around a teacher, I never heard them be rude, discouraging, and have fun at the expense of the student. If the student really sucked, they might take them aside and ask them if they really know what they're doing "here."

So what exactly does ripping someone's work accomplish? It might suck, they might suck, but what's the point? I could see doing that if you hired them to do work for you and you thought that they were professionals and they billed you for sucky work, then rip away, but here? on a free forum where a lot of folks are starting out and just having fun, or trying as best as they can? Mabye they suck, maybe they had a bad day, maybe reaching out and posting helps them somehow.

I see it as the person contributing Something, even if it's poor in every way, and when they put it out there, they are in a vulnerable situation by being at the mercy of someone else's opinion. So with this in mind, sure, I could see someone reacting strongly against getting your brand of 'truth' slammed in their face.

They may be dissappointed in the fact that their work was sub-par, but they then have the choice of being a little upset, or angry. But if the news of their work being not so good is given to them intelligently, then why would that not be the option?

I could see giving even straigt forward bad news, but to also judge it with a harsh attitude goes over the line and isn't constructive. Hey, at least they're a musician, at least they are trying something that isn't hurting anyone, they aren't doing anything criminal or bouncing their ideas for scamming someone on you, so why be harsh as well as truthfull? Maybe you have issues that you are trying to work out by being the cop of the forum. That's fine too, that's one of the things available here on the BBS. Flame away....

No flames Junplugged. Good points.
Thing is...

I am not getting paid, this is also a hobby for me. I tell it like I see it and so far I haven't been banned for that. People usually get real defensive when I have good points. I am not changing the way I do this and I am not asking anyone else to change.
Fact is you will get all kinds of responses from people, I am just one of them.

But...if someone can get a good one from me they have something more objective to measure with, that's where my value lies.

I am not gonna blow smoke ever, if there's nothing I like about a peice I will not lie. If that's too hard to take tough shit. If I hate yor guts but you post a great peice of music and ask for opinions I will tell you that it is great.

I think your opinions are v. good but people are going to get upset with your opinions so don't crucify every newbie for it - you always end up looking better due to support but after your third post you're wasting your time (but as I said, v. entertaining)

You know, half the time people go, "ok, that's your opinion" in which case I come back with a "good attitude". The other half the time people freak out and try finding anything I ever did to rag on it in a thread started about their song/mix. That is when I get a little pissed.

It's a thread they started for feedback. They got it.

Ever notice how many people make this equation?
Constructive=positive

jake-owa said:
It's a thread they started for feedback. They got it.

I know where you're coming from, but you're dealing with such fragile egos sometimes you need to be a bit careful - it's your 3rd+ reply that is weird, not your original intent - maybe you shouldn't be so surprised at a hostile response to your comments - people unfamiliar with you could take it differently.

I am never surprised.

But when people start in on me I am usually gonna respond till I get bored with them.

That's the breaks. As long as they keep coming back with accusations I keep calling them on it. Unless like that last ass they can't answer a simple question.

Synthics?

It wasn't an argument, it was a question. he made a point that my stuff had a lot of "synthics" on the vocal and I was trying to get him to define "synthics".

Point is there were no effects on any of those vocals, just careful micing and many takes till it was right. He could have learned something if he'd let himself.

Anyhow, I have stopped posting in that thread.

Back