The New Tone Thread

Gents,
thanks for the feedback. I tried a sweep of the offending track and wasn't really able to isolate the fizz well. I can't adjust the gain structure as it's a guitar into a 5 watt amp that only has on/off & volume controls. It goes into a Marshall 4 x 12 and a Shure 57.
It's funny that the other guitar sounds so good because I struggled with an overly dark tone for weeks and finally, with a nudge from Greg, move the mic to centre to get max brightness whilst learning some diff voicings for power chords to get the power & the top end. I threw the other guitar on at the last minute using just the old 2 note 5ths that had caused me so much grief and it sounds FINE. Simple mic placement - I'll have to mark that spot!

OK, here's some very high gain tones using a Boss DS1 and a Boss SD1 - both should be cheap and easily available in Kathmandu.

The DS1 is set with the level and tone both at about 12 O'Clock.
High Gain is with the gain all the way up, Medium Gain is with the gain somewhere between half and three quarters.

The DS1 will get very wet and mushy if left like this so I have the SD1 going into it with the tone just below 12 O'Clock, the level on full and the gain on zero. This compresses it all and tightens up the bass end so it doesn't turn into too much of a mushy mess.

Low volume is TV volume, High Volume is my normal recording volume. These actually sound better than I expected they would. They're all through the clean channel of my Blackstar but given that they're just pedals through a clean channel they shouldn't sound all that different through any half decent clean channel.

View attachment Low Vol Hi Gain.mp3
View attachment Low Vol Hi Gain Double.mp3
View attachment High Vol Med Gain.mp3
View attachment High Vol Med Gain Double.mp3
View attachment High Vol High Gain.mp3
View attachment High Vol High Gain Double.mp3

My personal favourite is Medium Gain, High Volume. Just playing a little more to myself this morning using this set up it was apparent that you start to lose note separation when playing quicker riffs with the higher gain setting. That's a general rule you can use as a starting point too. Try using more volume and a little less gain than you think you need. What sounds great at TV volume will sound messy shit at band practice volume.

Wow man, did any of the mods say why he was banned, or what his offense was???
Miner, the short version is that people follow him around the forum, not really interacting with him but looking for things that he's said that they can report.

Ray - just listening to your track though. Guitars sound great now, everything is more separate and I can here whats going on. Really like this.

...the mods and the group of "Robus/Andrushtwit/Nola" and a few other talentless idiots

lol! i think i've posted here 4 times in the last 4 months. i remember, maybe a year or so ago, Greg and I got into it.....? Was he still hung up on that? He's either paranoid or intimidated by something to call me out like that. Kinda weird to be honest. Truth. And although I certainly consider Robus and Nola friends, I have to say that I have zero clue about their personal interactions on here or who they argue with.

Sounds like a delusion conspiracy theory there. Little weird. Okie doke then! :guitar:

My personal favorite is Medium Gain, High Volume.
yeah ...... mine too.
I'm surprised you have the dreaded fizz under control with those pedals ,,, especially the DS 1 which is a pedal that I think should be removed from the time line.

But it's not fizzy ..... pretty powerful.

yeah ...... mine too.
I'm surprised you have the dreaded fizz under control with those pedals ,,, especially the DS 1 which is a pedal that I think should be removed from the time line.

But it's not fizzy ..... pretty powerful.

Yeah, they're better than I expected. I'm just trying to come up with a tone that could be easily replicated with gear available at a reasonable price somewhere like Nepal.

nah .... they didn't have a real reason ..... I started a thread about it and they stumbled all over themselves trying to come up with a reason. It was kind of a "it depends on what 'is' is" explanation.

Anyways .... up to us to keep the thread going .... and greg's actually gonna post stuff via a proxy .... ME! ..... :)

I'm not sure if he can see this forum or not as a guest. I know he can see Primetime so it may be a matter of me relaying his responses.

And the rest of us'll step up our game ..... it'll be interesting.

Hey Bob and Minerman,

It was made clear in the thread that we've been pretty much inundated with complaints and reports for...ever.
There's no specific group or source but there's a measurable impact on new membership so it had to stop.

The lack of specificity has irked some people, including Greg, but it is what it is. We responded to the forum.

If there was any tripping, it really came from the guys who focussed so hard on reactions to feedback from new members in the clinic, and other misconceptions bred right here.
I gave up on that point so it was quite refreshing to see several people who actually use the clinic completely debunk the point.
It's all there to read.

Seems quite clear that a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings, such as that, originated right here, so let's not keep that trend going, yeah?

I'm not looking to cause trouble or reopen a debate, but we don't need to breed a new revolution against 'the man'.

Last edited:
OK, here's some very high gain tones using a Boss DS1 and a Boss SD1

My personal favourite is Medium Gain, High Volume. Just playing a little more to myself this morning using this set up it was apparent that you start to lose note separation when playing quicker riffs with the higher gain setting. That's a general rule you can use as a starting point too. Try using more volume and a little less gain than you think you need. What sounds great at TV volume will sound messy shit at band practice volume.

I also think that one sounds the best but I wouldnt say it sounds good either though ;) I agree about the volume and less gain as well, that's what Ive found works best for me. Lately Ive been keeping the master up to like 3/4 and the dirty channel volume about the same and the gain at about half, sometimes less.

Steen, can you clean up the last couple of pages of the tone thread? This debate is going nowhere now and this isn't the place for it anyway

Hey Bob and Minerman,

It was made clear in the thread that we've been pretty much inundated with complaints and reports for...ever.
There's no specific group or source but there's a measurable impact on new membership so it had to stop.

The lack of specificity has irked some people, including Greg, but it is what it is. We responded to the forum.

If there was any tripping, it really came from the guys who focussed so hard on reactions to feedback from new members in the clinic, and other misconceptions bred right here.
I gave up on that point so it was quite refreshing to see several people who actually use the clinic completely debunk the point.
It's all there to read.

Seems quite clear that a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings, such as that, originated right here, so let's not keep that trend going, yeah?

I'm not looking to cause trouble or reopen a debate, but we don't need to breed a new revolution against 'the man'.
hey .... take your warning and stick it up your ass.
This is a thread that's only been visited by a small group of people .... we'll say what we want in it.

If we're gonna have you clowns come in here and 'clean up' a thread you have absolutely not participated whatsoever then I'm out.
Ain't no one harmed by us talking it out a bit more .....you're sticking your nose in here because, like greg's ban ... it's all about you thinking you have some kind of important power and acting like somehow that makes you some kind of cool ..... well bite me.

And JDOD's gonna just say to clean it up like it's his thread ..... you can stick your nose up steens butt if you want ..... he's a joke and a main reason greg's gone with his stupid obviously lying explanations ..... I'm done with it.

Do you think it's not obvious that immediately after andrushkwit comes in here 'checking' to see what's being said, that you're immediately in here 'warning' us?
It's clear that he and others ROBUS/RFR and prolly you actually did follow greg around looking for things to complain about .... that's exactly what andrushdumbass just did ..... just stuck his head in a thread that he NEVER looked at before, simply because the tone thread got mentioned in the primetime thread to make sure we were toeing the line.

The thing that irks me most if you losers are too much of cowards to stand up and admit it.
But there's NO way andrushnotalent happened to pop in here and then you happened to pop in here.
people that don't participate in this thread have no right to make complaints about it and it's not like he cared anyway.

He just gets his 'fix' of being an internet bully this way instead of trolling.
But it's the same thing ..... hey, look at me ..... I have power like and internet Nazi.

Screw you guys.

Last edited:
Steen, can you clean up the last couple of pages of the tone thread? This debate is going nowhere now and this isn't the place for it anyway

Mmmm...I say leave the posts as they lay...there is nothing offensive in them, just a lot of deep feelings. They are part of this thread, and now part of its history.

Let's not try and "sterilize" everything here...like it never happened. :)

This is a thread that's only been visited by a small group of people .... we'll say what we want in it.

If we're gonna have you clowns come in here and 'clean up' a thread you have absolutely not participated whatsoever then I'm out.
Ain't no one harmed by us talking it out a bit more .....you're sticking your nose in here because, like greg's ban ... it's all about you thinking you have some kind of important power and acting like somehow that makes you some kind of cool ..... well bite me.

And JDOD's gonna just say to clean it up like it's his thread ..... you can stick your nose up steens butt if you want ..... he's a joke and a main reason greg's gone with his stupid obviously lying explanations ..... I'm done with it.

You're getting annoyed at things which aren't happening, which was pretty much the point of my post.
There's no warning implied and I don't intend to clean up the thread.

I also don't intend to stir the pot so, if any one has questions or whatever, feel free to PM.

Do you think it's not obvious that immediately after andrushkwit comes in here 'checking' to see what's being said, that you're immediately in here 'warning' us?
It's clear that he and others ROBUS/RFR and prolly you actually did follow greg around looking for things to complain about .... that's exactly what andrushdumbass just did ..... just stuck his head in a thread that he NEVER looked at before, simply because the tone thread got mentioned in the primetime thread to make sure we were toeing the line.

The thing that irks me most if you losers are too much of cowards to stand up and admit it.
But there's NO way andrushnotalent happened to pop in here and then you happened to pop in here.
people that don't participate in this thread have no right to make complaints about it and it's not like he cared anyway.

He just gets his 'fix' of being an internet bully this way instead of trolling.
But it's the same thing ..... hey, look at me ..... I have power like and internet Nazi.

Screw you guys.

Bob, every claim I've seen you make about the Greg affair on this thread and the other shows that you are uninformed. And dismissing the talents of people whose work you boast of having no interest to investigate makes you look like a small man.

Nobody followed Greg around. Quite the contrary. He followed his favorite targets for abuse around the forum, never missing an opportunity to deliver some thinly veiled slight, some cheap shot, some juvenile one-upmanship. I put up with hundreds of hostile comments of that sort from him and rarely ever responded. When I did respond, I called him out publicly and directly, something no bully can stand. I was not the cowardly one. Greg's modus operandi was to exploit what seemed to be a loophole in the rules around here, that as long as he did not actually name the person he was insulting, he would be allowed to pour out a relentless stream of abuse toward other posters. His stock in trade was to needle, goad, troll--and then secretly run to the mods when one of his targets finally snapped and responded back in kind. He continued that pattern for a year in my case. Well I guess that loophole finally snagged his ass. I hope he never returns.

This is for you Bob. I know Greg had a lot of friends. Most of them are authentic people who could manage to be Greg's friends while behaving cordially to those Greg hated. I never had a problem with those people. Very few were so obsequious, so obsessed with winning Greg's approval, that they allowed him to choose their friends for them. And only two took swings at me, who never wronged them, to curry Greg's favor. JDOD did that, and now you. Yet again you make yourself look small.

Last edited:
Steen said:

How do you measure that? Jus curious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's kind of fucked up that someone would get their ass on their shoulders about who can and cannot post here. I take offense. I RARELY post in this thread, but I follow it, read and listen, hopefully i've learned some things. In that way I do participate. Who are you to kick sand around as if this is an exclusive playground. Check yourself, or get our own forum if you want to dictate shit. With attitudes like that maybe it does measurably affect participation in this thread.

For the record, I am not in favor of Greg's perm banning. Sure, he has his faults and was a bit childish at times. But he is an interesting dude. He likes what he likes, and He. Is. A. Doer. Setting all that shit up and recording in his foyer, then posting the results for us all, that was epic. Who else here does that? I'll miss his skill-set and commentary on many a topic. By my measure, HR won't be the same if he remains banned.

... that's exactly what andrushdumbass just did ..... just stuck his head in a thread that he NEVER looked at before, simply because the tone thread got mentioned in the primetime thread to make sure we were toeing the line.

Actually, since I posted here long ago, I've been a subscriber to this thread meaning that I receive emails on new posts. Plus, all the drama in prime time made me want to see what was happening in here ;) And as far as the conspiracy you're touting about... you're drinking the Gerg Kool Aid dude. Chill out, no one is "out to get" anyone. There is no massive conspiracy behind the closed doors.

I actually find it rather amusing. lol. not sure how I got spun up into this... I really made an impression on Gerg apparently. Like I said, he must be intimidated by something to call me out like that continually. I'll take it as a compliment. In a weird, paranoid way.

Thanks for not thinking on your own and blindly listening to someone else. Way to form your own opinions. :thumbs up:

Actually, since I posted here long ago, I've been a subscriber to this thread meaning that I receive emails on new posts. Plus, all the drama in prime time made me want to see what was happening in here ;) And as far as the conspiracy you're touting about... you're drinking the Gerg Kool Aid dude. Chill out, no one is "out to get" anyone. There is no massive conspiracy behind the closed doors.

I actually find it rather amusing. lol. not sure how I got spun up into this... I really made an impression on Gerg apparently. Like I said, he must be intimidated by something to call me out like that continually. I'll take it as a compliment. In a weird, paranoid way.

Thanks for not thinking on your own and blindly listening to someone else. Way to form your own opinions. :thumbs up:

So, are you going to put up some tones for us to check out?

Leave the posts, who gives a fuck. There has been plenty of off topic discussion in here, should those be removed as well? I dont post in here often but Im in here enough to know that posts not regarding tone should be left alone, its part of the small community of people who do post here. The only people ever listening to this stuff is us anyways. Its highly unlikely some newb is going to come in here and read through 1300 pages of posts and be upset about some off topic discussion, especially this.

So, are you going to put up some tones for us to check out?

I think I have in the past. I'm satisfied with my tones for now, regardless of what others think of them. And truthfully, Gerg aided me there and I thanked him endlessly for it... so, again, not sure what his deal is calling me out. I don't think we spoke since then, and that was over a year ago. If that's what he wrote, in all honesty, he's making weird assumptions.

I'll post in the clinic soon, and I appreciate mix/tone comments in there for sure. Thank you for asking sir

Wow, Shake Some Action.
Interesting mass arrival of a mass that don't normally arrive.
Could this be the cavalry? maybe it's the State Guard or the National Guard.
Here we were, getting along nicely, doing what this thread is all about & WHAM - external interjection whips up a storm.
IF folk want to, quietly, talk through an issue along with tone then that's a healthy thing. A thread to allow just that was closed down but some folk, m'self included, felt like chatting on a little more whilst doing the tone thing. That's what WAS happening and now it's a melee or viral party.
I can see what JDOD wants a quarantine zone but I also see the value of allowing an event to run is course and for folk to get through it by conversing, on line, with like minded or aligned people. It's not as if we were brewing tea and fermenting revolution.
Moderators moderate but that's not what just happened.
It's interesting that the label uninformed comes from a couple of folk: one who probably would have the inside line and another who probably ought not. That looks like a tactical mistake. Hmmm, why are we uninformed? We are left ignorant to what actually transpired through the lack of transparency and amount of obfuscation being dialled in and dealt out.
edit edit edit - I keep adding but I want to respond to JDOD's tone post so please leave us to what we do quietly in this corner.

Last edited:
Back