The New Tone Thread

I haven't had a cup of coffee in years man, I used to drink it every day, I'd even take a thermos to work with me, but the last few years I haven't....I do the Mountain Dew thing most of the time, sometimes I'll drink some of the generic MIO tea-mix shit (with some of the other flavors on occasion), but mostly, I do the Dew....Good rant though dude, but I do have to agree with pretty much everything you said....

On Lynch, he's a big reason I sold my Marshall Jubilee all those years ago & bought a Randall ss....I'd read he used those on "Tooth And Nail", so like a dumbass, I sold the Marshall & bought the Randall....Actually thought, it was a good sounding rig, but really, tone didn't matter to me then like it does now, just plug in & fuckin' play....

About to head out the door, my section/underground boss' wife is having our annual Christmas dinner before we go in the mine today, she usually cooks turkey, ham, & all the extras so us guys can stuff our faces before we head under for our shift....I won't be worth a fuck tonight, but it's ok, she's a killer cook....LOL...I'm betting it'll be just like last year, everyone on the section/in the mine was so fucking full, we could barely do our jobs....

Gotta go, but, it's one day closer to.......Monday.....:D

I don't even really like coffee. It's pretty nasty actually. I just power some down in the mornings to go for a run or hit the gym. Two cups of coffee and I'm jacked. I do love me some Mt Dew. It's gotta be diet though. I can't drink full sugar soda pops. They make me shit like a race horse for some reason. :laughings:

Bet you wish you still had that Jube now, huh? Trading a Jube for a Randall is pretty much blasphemy in hindsight. Those things fetch some big bucks these days. They have a real cult following. I remember the early 90s when people were dumping classic Marshalls for nothing to buy Mesas, Randalls, and a ton of rack gear. Ugh, that would be a good stop for a time machine and a pocket full of cash.

Jimmy Page is mostly recognized as a Marshall player, but he really used pretty much everything. I think he even used a Pignose sometimes in the studio.

No kidding, he often recorded 2x12 Fender amps in the studio. And almost always recorded with a telecaster. Wonder why he went with a completely different setup live?

I don't even really like coffee. It's pretty nasty actually. I just power some down in the mornings to go for a run or hit the gym. Two cups of coffee and I'm jacked. I do love me some Mt Dew. It's gotta be diet though. I can't drink full sugar soda pops. They make me shit like a race horse for some reason. :laughings:.
Diet here too man, the regular doesn't make me shit or anything...LOL, but I did get a big 'ol fucking belly for a while that went away when I switched to diet...My wife was fucking furious..."All you did was switch to diet, I have to exercise, not eat, bitch, blah, bitch, blah"....I thought it was fucking epic myself....:)

Bet you wish you still had that Jube now, huh? Trading a Jube for a Randall is pretty much blasphemy in hindsight. Those things fetch some big bucks these days. They have a real cult following. I remember the early 90s when people were dumping classic Marshalls for nothing to buy Mesas, Randalls, and a ton of rack gear. Ugh, that would be a good stop for a time machine and a pocket full of cash.
I'll see if my brother will let me use his scanner to upload some old pics dude, it was a thing of beauty....White tolex, 100w head, with matching A & B cabs....At the time, I didn't know shit from shinelola about good tone, I just knew I wanted more gain from my amp...LOL....During the time I was in that last band, I did used to have some really nice gear, when we'd have a "big" gig, I'd have a full-size p'up truckbed loaded to the max, full of amps, cabs, guitars, & fx....that was just me, there were 4 other band members....I'd take 5-6 guitars, head & 2 cabs, rack fx, stompboxes....LOL....Miss those days in a way, had a lot of fun back then....

C'mon Monday.....:)

I think I'm gonna mod my Tweaker in the next few days, won't do anything for the tone, but will make it look 100% better IMO....FWIW, I hate the way this little amp looks, especially sitting on top of the Marshall, it looks like the front's made out of a basket an old woman would gather eggs or something in....Check this out (this pic is the T40, but I keep the back panel off my T15, so I thought I'd see, & sure enough, looks like it'll fit/mount right up...):

I'm also thinking of trying some EL34's in this little amp too, you never know, might sound great.....

Last edited:
Well, I got my work-week over (finally....seems like it took forever for the last couple shifts to go by...bastards made my crew stay late tonight too...on a ****in' Saturday night...), & I've got one more day of waiting before the LP arrives....I've officially started my Christmas mini-vacation tonight...Only thing that really, really sucks is I won't get any time off to amount to shit (other than the occasional 3-day weekend or something) until fuckin' July....Jeez that seems like a fuckin' eternity when I put it that way....Damn....

I'm so stoked about the guitar, I'm worse than a little kid poking around at his presents under the tree & not being able to open 'em...:)

I've got a new sd card in the digital camera & got it charged it up, so I'll post some proper pics of this guitar when it arrives....Can you guys tell I'm excited about the LP over here???:p

Hey minerman, are you getting a guitar or something tomorrow? :D
:) Can't wait dude, can't wait....You know, I've had a few people tell me that Gibsons are hit/miss for individuals, I'm just hoping like hell, that the LP I'm getting is gonna be the one for me....24 hours dude, & it'll be here....

On the pedal search, I did a bunch of reading up on the JOYO pedals, & it seems they're hit/miss too, some folks love 'em, & some hate 'em....For about 1/3 of the price of the pedals that they clone, I'm thinking it'd be worth it to try a couple that have decent reviews....Of course, it'll be after Christmas before I'll buy anything else, but again, I think I'm gonna order 2-3 of 'em & try 'em out....

24 hours dude...LOL......:laughings:

:) Can't wait dude, can't wait....You know, I've had a few people tell me that Gibsons are hit/miss for individuals, I'm just hoping like hell, that the LP I'm getting is gonna be the one for me....24 hours dude, & it'll be here....
I agree with that. Like I've mentioned, I played a bunch, whole bunch, of LPs and SGs in my search. They were all pretty different from one another. I'm a hack though, so I don't know how that fares with a better player. Maybe it's really bad if a hack like me can notice it, or maybe it's not so bad and I'm just a really bad player. Unfortunately it was the studios, Jr's, and less expensive models that really had the most inconsistencies. The Trads, Classics, Standards, and Customs were more consistent. Crossing my fingers for you. :)

24 hours for me too. There should be a new amp sitting on my doorstep around this time tomorrow.

Cool on the Plexi dude, be sure to post some pics & clips (I know you will, but just sayin'....)...Happy for ya dude, wish I could use a 50/100w amp here, but right now, it just ain't happening.....Maybe before too long we can buy another house, rent this one out, & I can have a place where I can do that....but for now, the low-watt, 'lil amps will have to do.....Congrats again dude!!!

Pretty stoked about the LP (I'm guessing you figured that out), & I'm hoping it'll be "the" one for me, I'll find out tomorrow.....

Heading out the door to see Mom & Dad, he's not doing so well the last couple/few days, & us kids might have to take turns staying with 'em overnight, as Mom can't seem to handle him by herself anymore (he fell down 3 times Friday, she can't get him to "mind" her, he's really physically weak (he really can't stand or walk by himself, but insists on doing it on his own), but is stubborn as he ever was....wonder where I get it from???)...Hard times to say the least, & breaks my heart, but, I gotta do what I gotta do, as both of 'em (Mom & Dad) went more than the extra mile to make sure us kids were taken care of....

One more day....:)

I had a friend over this weekend who has been playing since the early 70's - I've got a '71 JMP 50 watt (post plexi), and he was grooving on that (and getting a fantastic tone out of it) but also saying that the re-issues he had seen were about as good as you could hope for --- better in some ways - all the caps are fresh, etc.

I had a friend over this weekend who has been playing since the early 70's - I've got a '71 JMP 50 watt (post plexi), and he was grooving on that (and getting a fantastic tone out of it) but also saying that the re-issues he had seen were about as good as you could hope for --- better in some ways - all the caps are fresh, etc.

Awesome, where's the clips? :D

I've been meaning to ask you...are you using an attenuator with it? I can't decide if I want to go with an attenuator, PPIMV mod, or a power scaling mod.

Awesome, where's the clips? :D

I've been meaning to ask you...are you using an attenuator with it? I can't decide if I want to go with an attenuator, PPIMV mod, or a power scaling mod.
clips soon :) - I have to haul a rack that now weighs about as much as I do down a flight of stairs first...

My buddy offered to do a PPIMV mod, and I'm thinking about it. His opinion was that the PPIMV was the best approach (I'm assuming that stands for post phase inverter master volume, which is what he was calling it).

I have a Marshall power brake, and I tried it once briefly but chickened out, and so I've just been running wide open - I have been getting emails from the neighbors to STFU, so I gotta think of something.

Probably I should just start getting comfortable with the attenuator. After all, I have already plugged the amp into the 4ohm input on a JCM900 cab, causing a failure, and played hard when the ohm selector switch fell out altogether and the friggn thing caught fire a little bit. The output transformer is still fine after all that, so I suppose I can relax already. (I'm sure they used a better switch with the re-issue. I gleefully had mine replaced with something better)

The attenuator did suck some tone on my JCM800 - but that was when it was biased super-stupid-hot, and the attenuator made it sound like it was constipated with razorblade poo. It may be better now that I got it re-biased.

So my JVM1-H arrived this morning (ordered at 2pm yesterday, came at 10am this morning) and I f***ing love it. 1 glorious watt of roaring Marshall goodness!

Following on from what I said yesterday in the post your new purchases thread - I can hear the difference from the JCM1 (as you'd expect - they wouldn't release two identical sounding amps at the same time, would they?), but this thing is totally badass. It does pretty much what my Vox Night Train 15W tries to do, but at manageable volume and better. On the OD channel, at lower gain it's in early GnR and ACDC Back in Black territory, higher gain settings remind me of the Metallica Black Album sound - at least in amounts of gain. Even higher gain still sounds good, but not really the sound I'm after, except for a bit of dicking around pretending I'm a metalhead. The resonance button gives you a whole wodge of extra bottom-end chunk. I haven't played much with the eq settings yet. I'd say the Vox is more identical to the Appetite for Destruction sound, as is the JCM1 IIRC, but this is a similar Marshall sound, but a little different in character.

The clean channel is decent, haven't had much time to play with it, but it gets pretty loud on 1W setting before you get a lot of crunch.

I'll have to have a play with the 0.1W setting as well, but I've already dialled in a sound I like a lot that's a reasonable volume for my spare room playing/recording. I'll try and grab a few minutes to record some tone for you all.

So far I'm a happy customer - I might have to try and take it to a shop to play alongside the JCM1 at some point to really hear how much difference there is.

But, for now, I have to go and help prepare for Christmas. Have a good one!!!

DSC_0385_zps70e90d15.jpg

Here's a pic of my current rig (bad photo - poor lighting!) - from bottom to top: -

Zilla 2x12 custom cab with a Greenback and a G12-H30
Egnater 1x12 cab with a V30
Marshall JVM1-H
Vox NT15H

It's not quite Greg's stack, but then, what is?!

That's super awesome man. Congrats! That's all really cool. I'm happy for you. The big JVMs have two OD channels and 3 modes per channel. Do you know which of the big-brother's OD channel the one-watter has? The two-channel JVMs get the four-channel's "OD2" I believe. I'm wondering if the 1-watt gets the same. Also, in that 2x12, do you find that the G12H-30 overpowers the Greenback?

I find with my JVM410 that the channels and modes typically sound better with the gain lower. The JVM is capable of insane amounts of gain. Pretty much every tone I ever use is with the gain around 3 or 4 regardless of channel.

clips soon :) - I have to haul a rack that now weighs about as much as I do down a flight of stairs first...

My buddy offered to do a PPIMV mod, and I'm thinking about it. His opinion was that the PPIMV was the best approach (I'm assuming that stands for post phase inverter master volume, which is what he was calling it).

I have a Marshall power brake, and I tried it once briefly but chickened out, and so I've just been running wide open - I have been getting emails from the neighbors to STFU, so I gotta think of something.

Probably I should just start getting comfortable with the attenuator. After all, I have already plugged the amp into the 4ohm input on a JCM900 cab, causing a failure, and played hard when the ohm selector switch fell out altogether and the friggn thing caught fire a little bit. The output transformer is still fine after all that, so I suppose I can relax already. (I'm sure they used a better switch with the re-issue. I gleefully had mine replaced with something better)

The attenuator did suck some tone on my JCM800 - but that was when it was biased super-stupid-hot, and the attenuator made it sound like it was constipated with razorblade poo. It may be better now that I got it re-biased.

It's my understanding that attenuators get a bad rap because people (not you, just people) tend to overuse them. They're not designed to take a 100w amp down to apartment-at-midnight volume levels. Their main function is to shave a few dbs off here and there so a big amp can work in smaller venues and/or provide a more cranked tone at slightly lower volumes - slightly lower - not bedroom volumes. If internet message boards are an indicator of what's happening in the world, it would seem that a lot of people are trying to turn their non master volume amps into practice amps and then complain about the results. "I put a hot plate on my plexi so I can play without waking up my mom and the tone sucks!" Lol.

I'm really interested in the PPIMV mod. It seems to be the best way to go with a 1987/1959 type Marshall. It just depends for me. Your 1987 is a real-deal, probably point-to-point, right? Mine's a reissue so hacking into it isn't a value-killer. Maybe I can do the mod myself. Maybe not. I'm gonna take this thing in to get looked at and see about the PPIMV mod. I'll go with an attenuator if it costs less than the mod. If you wanna sell that Power Brake, let me know.

I'm most interested in Power Scaling, but God only knows how much that would cost.

Back