The New Tone Thread

2249001712_5e8d98e11d_m.jpg

Ok, here's some more of my fucking around with the Ibanez & DSL-1....

Ibanez > interface >re-amp box> X3L > DSL-1 > V30 >CO-1

Using the X3L like a stompox, everything into the front of the amp....

X3L:
Tube Driver (comes on about the :30 second mark)
Gain/Volume: 100
Drive: 75
Treble: 60
Bass: 100

Compressor set for 8db boost (at about :52 or so)

Phaser (about 1:00 )

Dynamic Delay (about 1:20)

DSL-1:
1w mode
Green Channel
Bass: 10
Mid: 4
Treble: 7
Gain: 10
Volume: 10
Deep: On
Tone Shift: Off

I did add some room 'verb in the daw & a little plate to keep it from being so dry sounding in the ISO cab...

I'm not so crazy about that one like I am with your other stuff. It has like a murky kind of midrange cloud over it to me. The very beginning light crunch is good, but once the stuff piles on I like it less and less. I'm really not liking that delay. It sounds like a synth. Is it supposed to?

Thanks Greg,
I don't think the delay is supposed to sound like a synth, I noticed it too when I was playing the track back....I don't know if you noticed it or not, but I turn the phase off for a few seconds & the delay doesn't seem to do that shit as bad, I think the combination of the phaser & delay are what's making it sound "synth-y"....

The muddy/cloud thing is the X3L sucking the tone from my amp, I had it plugged straight into the DSL, like a stompbox, so all the fx are hitting the front of the amp...

To be honest, I was just trying some of the different od stomp emulations in the X3L, & got carried away with the fx....FWIW, that particular delay (dynamic delay IIRC...) is actually pretty nice IMO the way it fades in/out, & has a threshold knob to control this, but of course, I need to have it in the loop, & mess with the settings some more, that clip was just on the spot, hit record & see what happens kinda thing.....

Thanks again dude, I could probably get by with just the stomp od, but the time-based stuff needs to be in the loop....I actually need to ditch the POD X3L & get a decent fx setup, but a little at a time....The LP's first...:D

I'm waiting to see how much of a bonus we're getting at work this year before I commit to one of the LP's...I've tried to find out, but the bastards won't tell us anything, so, I'll just have to wait a couple more days....For all I know the bonus is a big "bone-us" for all us workers...:laughings:.

I've about changed my mind on the finish/color (again) too, the desert burst is really cool....couple more days & I'll let you guys know what I've decided on....

On my setup, some time based effects seem to work best in the loop. I like my Flanger and Delay in the loop. But my Wah, Tremolo, and Phase 90 seem to better in front. The Phase 90 is the only one of those I use with any regularity. It stays in front at the end of the pedal chain.

I just sold my buddies Intellifex that works awesomely in an FX loop. You could have had a field day with that thing. It's all digital, but it sounded good. If I had known you might be interested I would have let you know.

On my setup, some time based effects seem to work best in the loop. I like my Flanger and Delay in the loop. But my Wah, Tremolo, and Phase 90 seem to better in front. The Phase 90 is the only one of those I use with any regularity. It stays in front at the end of the pedal chain.

I just sold my buddies Intellifex that works awesomely in an FX loop. You could have had a field day with that thing. It's all digital, but it sounded good. If I had known you might be interested I would have let you know.
I almost always prefer stompboxes of any type in front of the amp. When I use rack mount units I run those thru the loop ..... but ....... I have enough shit to carry ya' know? I have to use the pedalboard and a loop effect is just something else to hook up. So I never use the loop. Only two of my amps have a loop anyways.

I almost always prefer stompboxes of any type in front of the amp. When I use rack mount units I run those thru the loop ..... but ....... I have enough shit to carry ya' know? I have to use the pedalboard and a loop effect is just something else to hook up. So I never use the loop. Only two of my amps have a loop anyways.

I made a 4 cable "snake" that's color coded on each end for super fast hookup. I can have my stupid pedalboard and footswirch all hooked up before the tubes are even warm. It's really a lot of overkill for a guy that uses none of it.

Ok, here's some more of my fucking around with the Ibanez & DSL-1....

Ibanez > interface >re-amp box> X3L > DSL-1 > V30 >CO-1

Using the X3L like a stompox, everything into the front of the amp....

X3L:
Tube Driver (comes on about the :30 second mark)
Gain/Volume: 100
Drive: 75
Treble: 60
Bass: 100

Compressor set for 8db boost (at about :52 or so)

Phaser (about 1:00 )

Dynamic Delay (about 1:20)

DSL-1:
1w mode
Green Channel
Bass: 10
Mid: 4
Treble: 7
Gain: 10
Volume: 10
Deep: On
Tone Shift: Off

I did add some room 'verb in the daw & a little plate to keep it from being so dry sounding in the ISO cab...

That was a fun listen, thanks!

Uh oh....Greg done found him a sweet deal on a Plexi for sale......

The trigger has been pulled. Initiate launch sequence.....cover your ears.....

Fuck dude, you're killin' me......congrats, I'm gonna hop in my Jeep & drive to fuckin' Texas....Be sure to post some pics & clips (I know you will, but just sayin'....)....Wow man, congrats, what the fuck are you gonna do, have a model of every Marshall ever made???? :laughings:

On my X3L, it ain't that bad really, I can set it up to have the stomp/od's in front, with the time based stuff in the amp's loop (or in front too), plus, the X3L's got it's own fx loop....Just to be honest, I haven't really scratched the surface of what it's really capable of doing, 'cause I'm a lazy bastard you know??? I like using the X3L with the DSL a lot better than the Egnater though, I think where the T15's loop is tube, it sucks the tone a lot more, IIRC, the DSL's loop is solid state, but there's definitely a difference when I use it with either of 'em....

Here's the skinny on the X3L's fx:

Gate: always in "front"
Wah: always before the od/distortion, can't change where it's at in the chain...
Od/distortion: always in front, there's about 35-36 different models, but only a handful are anything I'd ever use...There's ring modulation shit, auto-wah, & other stuff I'd never use really...
Amps/cab simulation: This thing's got a shitload of amps & quite a few cabs, but I always turn 'em off/bypass 'em....
Compressor: Always before the eq, & can't move it in the chain...has threshold & gain controls, could be used a boost for leads
4-Band eq: this is always after the "front" fx, but before the loop, I can use it to brighten up the power section of my amp via the fx loop)
Modulation: in "front" or in the loop, you can choose where you want this effect, some of 'em are actually decent...32 of 'em
Delay: same as the modulation, with 15 different delays including analog, digital, ping-pong, stereo, reverse, tube, tape etc....
Reverb: same as the modulation/delay, can be put in the "front" of the chain or in the loop...
Volume: Can be used in front or in the loop....

This thing's got a mic input, midi in/out, spdif out, variax in, fx loop/send return, aux input, direct/xlr outs (L & R), 1/4" outs (L & R), extra 1/4" input for an expression pedal, headphone out, & mp3/cd input...Again, I've really not scratched the surface of what this thing's really capable of doing, like the dual tone/stereo out thing (I could set up 2 completely different fx chains & send 'em to both my amps), so I guess I'm just gonna hang onto it, & learn more shit I can do with my amps using it....For what I do, it's plenty really, & if I want some different kind of effect, I can always use something in the daw (which works pretty good too, with some tweaking)....

I would like to have some good od/distortion pedals though, like the Bogner Red or Blue, or a Carl Martin Plexitone because the X3L's od's are ok, but I know they're not up to par with pedals like these, my cheap SD-1 makes my X3L's od's sound like ass when comparing 'em....

My current mission is a fuckin' Les Paul....36 more hours, & I'm gonna pull the trigger on one....:D

Fuck dude, you're killin' me......congrats, I'm gonna hop in my Jeep & drive to fuckin' Texas....Be sure to post some pics & clips (I know you will, but just sayin'....)....Wow man, congrats, what the fuck are you gonna do, have a model of every Marshall ever made???? :laughings:
Actually.....yeah that is sort of my goal. I want the main ones anyway. This one's a 2001 1959x reissue, so it's not a "real" 60s Plexi, but it's close enough. I can mod this one if I should ever choose to and not feel terrible about it. JCM 800 2203 is next....I know I'm a retard, but what the hell? Some people buy cars, boats, get into gambling, hookers, drugs......I guess this is my current habit. :laughings:

My current mission is a fuckin' Les Paul....36 more hours, & I'm gonna pull the trigger on one....:D
Fucking awesome. It's like Christmas around here! :D

IMO not retarted at all Greg, I'd love to be able to do that....If/when we ever get another place (I've almost got this one paid for btw...), I'm gonna make sure it's got a basement or similar, so I can do the big amp thing....Congrats dude, again, be sure to post us some pics & clips when it arrives....

I've pretty much settled on the 2014 LP Studio in Desert Burst:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2014 Electric Guitar with Gig Bag

I'll find out about 2 pm today how much $$$ I get bonus-wise, & will probably add a couple little things to my present for myself....Should pull the trigger around this time tomorrow....I'll let you guys know for sure, but, I'm getting the LP come hell or high water....I bust my ass at work, & have for years, so, I'm gonna have some things I want anyway....Life's too short to keep wishing all the time.....

That's awesome. Classic looking. Much better than blue IMO. Love the dark backside. Lol. I bet it might look even more killer without the pickguard. I also like that it has the slightly milder 490T bridge pickup. Maybe I'm crazy but I think the moderate output pickups sound better than hot pickups. You can always add gain later from the amp or a pedal. Having a super hot signal from the get-go is a little harsh to me. The 490 is in 57 Classic/Burstbucker range. You're gonna have a super-duty chunk of wood in your hands. It's a lot different from those pointy shred machines! :D

Thanks Greg,
Yeah, I think the finish/color looks more "classic", like a LP should....I still like the blue, but again, the desert burst looks killer too....The pickguard will go dude, no question, probably as soon as I open the box it comes in...LOL...I had a LP years ago, but that was before I was so picky/anal about my tone, I'd just plug in & play (during my gig days....)...Things sure have changed for me music-wise in the last few years, but IMO it's a good thing....

But, I'm still gonna get another pointy shred machine or two eventually too...:) I almost bought the Kramer Pacer classic, until I read some reviews by people who have both, & from what I've read, the new ones are just shit compared to the old ones....I had a couple Kramers back in the day, & both of 'em I had were great, I suppose the new ones are just marketing hype to get people like me to buy 'em....

I'm also picking up a cheap Behringer C1 mic (I've heard really good clips using this mic with the 1w amps btw, & I could use it for other shit too...), along with another short mic stand/boom for my ISO cab...

The dicks at work already dropped the bomb that we've gotta work this Saturday, so that cuts my mini-vacation to 4 days....bastards....But, that's ok, I can handle it, I have for years, plus, it's overtime....

I'm so stoked about getting this guitar, I'm thinking of paying for 1 or 2 day shipping, so I'll have it the whole time I'm off work next week.....:laughings:

Back