The New Tone Thread

I'm uncomfortable at everything so uncomfortable is my comfort zone.

:laughings:

Check this out. I posted a thread about this amp a while back. It's not mine and I'm not buying it, but I'll have it for a little while to play with.

It's an Orange TH30 that's been customized to be a "Green", literally, it's green. :D

I'll do some clips tomorrow.

:laughings:

Check this out. I posted a thread about this amp a while back. It's not mine and I'm not buying it, but I'll have it for a little while to play with.

It's an Orange TH30 that's been customized to be a "Green", literally, it's green. :D

I'll do some clips tomorrow.

]
cool ....... I remember that thread .. it's like a Matamp.

cool ....... I remember that thread .. it's like a Matamp.

Yup, pretty much. I played with it a little today at very low volumes. The clean is really pretty impressive, but again, it was super quiet. I'm gonna stretch it's legs out tomorrow.

Sheesh okay, so this is my very first set of passes with the "Green" TH30. The layout is like this from left to right.....
Left 3 knobs - Dirty volume - Shape - Dirty Gain
Right 3 knobs - Clean Treb - Clean Bass - Clean volume
There's four power output options - 7 watt, 15 watt w/ 2 power tubes, 15 watt w/ 4 power tubes, 30 watt. 12ax7 preamp/EL84 power tubes.
You can cut two power tubes with a switch on the back, and also cut to half-power with the switch on the front.
This pass was done in 7w mode - two power tubes, half-power on front.

Both passes - Les Paul bridge Burstbucker straight into amp, Marshall 1960a Greenback, Audix i5 on axis on grill halfway to edge of cone
Both channel shape and tone controls set to 12:00. I didn't wan to get into dialing the tone knobs in, so I just left em neutral. That's usually my personal starting point for any amp.

"Clean" channel

On this one, I started with the volume as low and clean as it would go while still being decently audible. Then I progressively went up with the volume, making stops at 9:00, 12:00, 3:00, and then full. The last little riff is max volume, but with the guitar volume rolled back. As you'll hear, this channel isn't clean at all. Lol. Not in 7w mode anyway. It broke up, fell apart, and got really dirty really fast as the "volume" went up. On this channel in 7w mode, I'd say the volume knob is basically just a gain knob. It never really got significantly louder, just more and more crunched. And being in 7w mode, even cranked, it was loud, but not even close to needing ear protection loud. I could talk loudly and hear myself over the cab.

"Dirty" channel

I did this one a little different. I wanted to see what it'd really do in 7w mode so I started this one from the get-go with the channel volume fully cranked and brought in the gain until it was just audible. Like the "clean" channel, this one got gnarly fast. The steps in between from just audible to full-out are a little harder to differentiate, so here's the run down:
Start - :26 - gain just cracked open
:28 - :53 - gain 9:00
:57 - 1:23 - gain 10:30
1:26 - 1:52 - gain 12:00
1:55 - 2:21 - gain 1:30
2:23 - 2:50 - gain 3:00
2:53 - end - gain max

Like the clean channel, even with the "Dirty" volume cracked wide open, it wasn't deafeningly loud at all. Too loud by far to have someone watching TV or sleeping in the next room, but not make-you-deaf loud and definitely not loud enough to compete with bass and drums in a full-band-no-mics practice situation. The obvious result is that in 7w mode, there is absolutely no headroom whatsoever and the tubes go into meltdown very quickly.

See what you guys think about it.

and the 'half power switch will do it by switching between pentode and triode modes in the power tubes so the sound is gonna be pretty different.

Yup, pretty much. I played with it a little today at very low volumes. The clean is really pretty impressive, but again, it was super quiet. I'm gonna stretch it's legs out tomorrow.
at work and so I can't listen to your clips yet.

I had the TH-100 for a while - a year I guess. I really liked the clean channel. The dirty channel was great for really high gain sounds, but the "shape" control didn't let me get the lower treble higher bass and mid sound I wanted. I wound up trading it in toward a OR-100, which has treble, mid, and bass controls.

I dimed the clean channel in the TH-100 (with all 4 output tubes, full power switch to on) once and actually blew a fuse in the amp. Before the fuse went it was murderously loud, but I thought it sounded great and the guitar <-> amp feedback loop felt great, too.

at work and so I can't listen to your clips yet.

I had the TH-100 for a while - a year I guess. I really liked the clean channel. The dirty channel was great for really high gain sounds, but the "shape" control didn't let me get the lower treble higher bass and mid sound I wanted. I wound up trading it in toward a OR-100, which has treble, mid, and bass controls.

I dimed the clean channel in the TH-100 (with all 4 output tubes, full power switch to on) once and actually blew a fuse in the amp. Before the fuse went it was murderously loud, but I thought it sounded great and the guitar <-> amp feedback loop felt great, too.

Just from today's goofing around alone, I like the cranked Clean channel grit much better than pretty much everything I got from the Dirty channel. This was a quick plug-in-and-go thing today though. I'll do more tomorrow in 15 w mode.

I actually like the 2nd clip in the 2nd gain stage/level myself Greg, but all of 'em are pretty useable, except with the gain dimed IMO....could be the riffs you played, but again, the 2nd clip, on the 2nd gain level is the one I liked best...Seems like it looses definition with too much gain....

Still haven't decided on a new guitar, but I'm gonna say 90% it's gonna be the Epiphone LP, with the 490/498 p'ups, probably the sunburst...I'd love to have the blue color, but I really don't want EMG's, & don't wanna swap p'ups in a new guitar to be honest...Think I might hold off on the new interface for a little while longer & see what the new guitar brings for me...

Yeah that clean wasn't clean, but I loved the tone.
Yeah, I like the clean channel with the gain/volume up about 1/4 to halfway. It has some dirt but retains some note definition. I'm curious to see what happens today in 15w mode with the same settings.

I actually like the 2nd clip in the 2nd gain stage/level myself Greg, but all of 'em are pretty useable, except with the gain dimed IMO....could be the riffs you played, but again, the 2nd clip, on the 2nd gain level is the one I liked best...Seems like it looses definition with too much gain....
I agree. The Dirty channel sounded best to me with the gain low. The 9:00 and 10:30 settings were cool, the rest were just way too over-the-top for me. Fizzy, mushy, meh. And of course, this was without touching the "shape" knob. That would probably help some.

Still haven't decided on a new guitar, but I'm gonna say 90% it's gonna be the Epiphone LP, with the 490/498 p'ups, probably the sunburst...I'd love to have the blue color, but I really don't want EMG's, & don't wanna swap p'ups in a new guitar to be honest...Think I might hold off on the new interface for a little while longer & see what the new guitar brings for me...
What interface are you using now? You can probably find a nice 4 channel interface and get the guitar and still stay in your budget. You're not recording acoustic drums or live bands, so 4 inputs is more than enough for guitar tracks.

What interface are you using now? You can probably find a nice 4 channel interface and get the guitar and still stay in your budget. You're not recording acoustic drums or live bands, so 4 inputs is more than enough for guitar tracks.

I'm using a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, which has the ability to record 6 tracks at a time, but it's only got 2 mic pre's...The 4 inputs on the back are line inputs....What I want to be able to do is:

di (guitar input) > daw > re-amp box > a/b/y cable > amp "a" DSL > V30 > mic 1 & 2...amp "b":T15 > GB > mic 3 & 4

Which would be 5 tracks simultaneously (and, recording the di takes away one of my mic pre's)....but, I know I probably wouldn't need 2 mic'd tracks per amp, but, it would be nice to be able to do this if I needed to....I'm probably over-thinking this shit again :), as one mic per amp/cab is probably gonna work fine, but again, it'd be nice to be able to do this if I ever wanted to...A workaround would be to just record like I've been doing (a di + amp'd track at the same time), then re-amp the other speaker/amp...

Or, I could buy a couple mic pre's & hook 'em into my current interface, but that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms about price, quality of the pre's, etc....

On the guitar, I've been thinking about it for a couple days now, & I'm really about to say fuck it, just get the Gibson LP Studio with the '57 p'ups, as I'm sure the Epiphone is a nice, good guitar, but, it's not a real Gibson, & I'd always be wanting the real thing, so I'm still gonna give it a little while, but may go with the Gibson instead of the Epiphone....FWIW, this will be a "blind buy" too, there's nowhere close I can go play any of 'em (the closest local music shop only carries Fender, Squire, Ibanez & lower end/cheaper stuff....I'd have to drive an hour & 1/2 or so to be able to play one of 'em, & I honestly don't have the time with my work schedule, & all the shit that's going on with my family (I could go on & on about the family stuff but I won't, just gonna say it ain't easy being me right now...)

I'm using a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, which has the ability to record 6 tracks at a time, but it's only got 2 mic pre's...The 4 inputs on the back are line inputs....What I want to be able to do is:

di (guitar input) > daw > re-amp box > a/b/y cable > amp "a" DSL > V30 > mic 1 & 2...amp "b":T15 > GB > mic 3 & 4

Which would be 5 tracks simultaneously (and, recording the di takes away one of my mic pre's)....but, I know I probably wouldn't need 2 mic'd tracks per amp, but, it would be nice to be able to do this if I needed to....I'm probably over-thinking this shit again :), as one mic per amp/cab is probably gonna work fine, but again, it'd be nice to be able to do this if I ever wanted to...A workaround would be to just record like I've been doing (a di + amp'd track at the same time), then re-amp the other speaker/amp...
Lol, good God, dude. :laughings: You're setting yourself up for a giant clusterfuck of phase issues unless you do all of that just right. But it can be done if that's how you wanna roll. Just my opinion, I think you'd do better just mixing a sim track with a real track and call it good.

On the guitar, I've been thinking about it for a couple days now, & I'm really about to say fuck it, just get the Gibson LP Studio with the '57 p'ups, as I'm sure the Epiphone is a nice, good guitar, but, it's not a real Gibson, & I'd always be wanting the real thing, so I'm still gonna give it a little while, but may go with the Gibson instead of the Epiphone....FWIW, this will be a "blind buy" too, there's nowhere close I can go play any of 'em (the closest local music shop only carries Fender, Squire, Ibanez & lower end/cheaper stuff....I'd have to drive an hour & 1/2 or so to be able to play one of 'em, & I honestly don't have the time with my work schedule, & all the shit that's going on with my family (I could go on & on about the family stuff but I won't, just gonna say it ain't easy being me right now...)

I certainly can't blame you for that. When I got my Hallmark/Mosrite, I went back and forth like "Man, but one day I might want a real Mosrite". The negatives of a real Mosrite far outweigh the positives though, so the Hallmark was the ticket and I don't regret it at all. Besides just being a true vintage semi-rare classic surf guitar, there's no practical reason for me to shell out big bucks for a real Mosrite over the Hallmark. So to put it into your perspective, I basically went with the Epiphone. When I was hunting Les Pauls though, an Epi wasn't even considered. It had to be a real Gibson so I got one, and I don't regret that either. I had the luxury of playing many of them though. I estimate I played over 100 LPs and SGs over the span of a few months looking for the just right guitar. I found it in my Goldtop. I'm a hack though, so in some ways any guitar is fine for me, and in some ways it has to be just right.

So my SD P-Rails is here, I got an on/off/on DPDT mini-toggle, and another Hallmark pickguard in case I jack mine all up, so I guess instead of more "Green" clips I'm gonna try to wire this thing up now. Wish me luck.......

Well it's in. Seymour Duncan P-Rails. This was a stretch for me. I'm not a big wiring modifier kind of guy. And I had to bend out the legs of the pickup and then file dog-ears into the edges to fit the cavity and super-wide-ass Mosrite style pickup ring. But it's all good to go! Works great!

The little toggle is wired up for...
Down - P-90
Middle - Series humbucker
Up - Single rail

I kept the same pots, but I'm gonna change them out to 500k.

Yup it does. I'm happy with the fit, and the mini-toggle isn't obtrusive at all. It looks as if it came there. I actually had to take like 5 pics of it just so the rail would show up in the pic. I haven't really tried it out yet, but from checking to see that it works, the P-90 setting is AWESOME! I get the feeling that will be my go-to option.

Yup it does. I'm happy with the fit, and the mini-toggle isn't obtrusive at all. It looks as if it came there. I actually had to take like 5 pics of it just so the rail would show up in the pic. I haven't really tried it out yet, but from checking to see that it works, the P-90 setting is AWESOME! I get the feeling that will be my go-to option.
I'm gonna say if it sounds awesome you might just leave those 250k pots in there ..... or at least be prepared to put them back in if the 500ks don't sounds as good.

Back