The New Tone Thread

Folks, I've tried to sort out guitars on my latest track. I've ended up with a pair of open chord tracks, a pair of old E & A string power chord tracks and a pair using the chords shapes Greg showed me for the intro and chorus. Just Bruno single Humbucker loaded Sheraton II for the open chords, Bruno single coil guitar for the new shapes as well as for the Power chords.
Here is the intro, V1 & C1 three times. Each has a different combo of tracks. Which sounds more worthwhile using 1st, 2nd or 3rd? It's a bout a minute for each version and there's a brief pause between.

Lt Bob, Pirates rarely survive Hurricanes that originate in the Caribbean so I think you'll be right with the cancellations - unless they are in evac centres. Take care you folk on the south eastern end of things.

Hey Ray, I think I like the first and second sections best. Probably second overall.

JDOD,
Yeah sorted the minor minor issue.
On the last section open chords from 2 guitars all the way through, bottom E string 5th - sustained & ringing on the intro - all through and open F shaped chords on the chorus making SIX guitars in the chorus - can be thinned out easily enough.
The biggest diff this time through is using my Bruno Royal Artist single coil semi acoustic on all but the open chords.
Thanks for the feedback - I can work from your ideas.

JDOD,
Yeah sorted the minor minor issue.
On the last section open chords from 2 guitars all the way through, bottom E string 5th - sustained & ringing on the intro - all through and open F shaped chords on the chorus making SIX guitars in the chorus - can be thinned out easily enough.
The biggest diff this time through is using my Bruno Royal Artist single coil semi acoustic on all but the open chords.
Thanks for the feedback - I can work from your ideas.

Yeah, it certainly sounds like there's a lot playing! Why not thin it out a bit, so if you were only going to have two guitars one of them would stick to the basics but one of them would be trying all of the different chord voicings from your three different versions, but working through them all using different voicings at different times through the song. You might end up double tracking everything and that's fine, but if you have less different things going on at one time you'll pick up the changes in chord voicings more easily.

JDOD's right. You don't need six layers of chords. It will sound better if you just combine all of those layers into your playing throughout different parts of the song. Basic powerchords during verses, big chords during choruses, or whatever. Fewer tracks but with more dynamics in the playing.

I know a guy that had an SG, in it's case, fall out of his truck on the freeway. Everyone knows the SG is probably the most fragile guitar ever made, and his was just fine. It's actually a miracle he got it back because he didn't know it had fallen out until he got home. Five million people in Houston and his guitar was found by the one honest person in this city.

That IS aamazing!

That IS aamazing!

Yeah. It really is. He initially thought he had left it at the gig so he spent days calling people and trying to track down anyone that was there. Soundguys, bartenders, regular people, anyone. This was before facebook and shit so it was tough. His bandmates insisted that he loaded it in his truck because they helped him load out. He finally accepted that it must have just fallen out the back and he went on with his life. A few weeks later, maybe a month or so, some old guy showed up at his house with the guitar in it's case. The guy actually saw it fall out on the freeway and stopped to get it. This was like at 3 am so the roads were clear enough to pull over and pick it up. The owner had his name and address on a label inside the case so the old guy tracked him down. Pretty amazing. This was like 10-15 years ago. The guy still plays that SG to this day.

Why did the guitarist put a feather in the toilet?

Because it tickled the shit out of him.

Why did the boss make his workers put their watches in the toilet?

So they could shit on their own time.

Yeah. It really is. He initially thought he had left it at the gig so he spent days calling people and trying to track down anyone that was there. Soundguys, bartenders, regular people, anyone. This was before facebook and shit so it was tough. His bandmates insisted that he loaded it in his truck because they helped him load out. He finally accepted that it must have just fallen out the back and he went on with his life. A few weeks later, maybe a month or so, some old guy showed up at his house with the guitar in it's case. The guy actually saw it fall out on the freeway and stopped to get it. This was like at 3 am so the roads were clear enough to pull over and pick it up. The owner had his name and address on a label inside the case so the old guy tracked him down. Pretty amazing. This was like 10-15 years ago. The guy still plays that SG to this day.
Wow.
When mine fell out I was in my grandpa's old 63 pickup truck. If you didn't slam the door it wouldn't latch sometimes. My strat was beside me 1with the bottom of the case on the floorpan...and the top of the case leaned up against the back of the seat. I went around a curve and the door flew open and out the guitar went. I almost went in the ditch trying to grab it. It bounced end over end a few times and was in the ditch. Some plywood on the ends of the case was busted and just hanging there by the tolex.
Man, that scared the shit out of me. I though my strat was gonna be busted up...and that was back before I could afford to buy another one.
The winter before that I came home tore up from a gig and it was in the back of the pickup truck. I spaced out on it and forgot to bring it in. Freezing rain and sleet hit that night and the next morning I realized I forgot to bring it in. I had to chisel it out of the bed with an ice pick....It was frozen under a layer of ice.

After it flew out of the truck my drummer said "Man, you should name that strat "fritz" I has 9 fuckin' lives!"

lol

Thanks for the feedback folks. I did a remix based on both sets of thoughts. This one has only two guitars in the verse and has a pair more - though just for top end so not much of them, in the intro & chorus.
Improvement?

Thanks for the feedback folks. I did a remix based on both sets of thoughts. This one has only two guitars in the verse and has a pair more - though just for top end so not much of them, in the intro & chorus.
Improvement?

Ray, finally listening to this on a decent set of headphones. I thhnk I prefer this idea but the guitars are too quiet now, seems like you've left the individual ones at the volume they were at... either that or they've got some weird reverb on them in comparisson to the bass and drums.

OK, I've had a glass of wine but here's a weird comment - they sound like they're coming from lower down than the bass and drums. Not lower down as in volume - but lower down and in downhill from me if that makes sense. I'm not entirely sober though.

Also gents,

I've just bunged a Black Sabbath cover in the mixing clinic, excuse my shite Ozzy impression but if you could tell me what you think of the mix that would be great. I figured it was best to practice my mixing on a cover or two before I carry on with my own stuff 'cos I don't feel like I've progressed with my recording/mixing in a while now.

Back