The New Tone Thread

Sorry to hear your $$$ woes Bob, .
sorry but I didn't say a word about having money woes nor do I have any right now. My entire post was about feeling down about music and the pointlessness of it .......... not sure where you got the money thing since I didn't say anything remotely like that.

I said I was having trouble finding my muse ......

I gig a LOT ....... never fewer than 3 a week and usually 4-5.

If we lived closer I'd jam with you all the time. I imagine you could make me better, and I'd drag you way down. :laughings:
nah dude ..... we'd have a great time ....... you, more than really anyone else I know, do it for the exact reason I do it .... for the fun and joy of it.
LOL, I know you don't want to use 'joy' or any other hippy-sounding terms to describe you .... :D .... but there it is.
I know we differ in our feelings about gigging but otherwise you and I are pretty damned similar in a lot of ways.

prolly the biggest thing I need in the world is someone like you that I could have fun with.
I have thought more than once that it'd be cool if we lived close enough to be able to hang some and I'd love to play with ya' sometime.

Next time you're anywhere near here you'd better let me know!

Sorry Bob, guess where you said "if I could pay my bills in a band like back in LA" I took it the wrong way....Guess I look like I'm losing my mind, & have been pretty close actually...:laughings:

Sorry Bob, guess where you said "if I could pay my bills in a band like back in LA" I took it the wrong way....Guess I look like I'm losing my mind, & have been pretty close actually...:laughings:
losing your mind can be fun sometimes.
:D

I meant in a band as opposed to doing all this solo shit.

nah dude ..... we'd have a great time ....... you, more than really anyone else I know, do it for the exact reason I do it .... for the fun and joy of it.
LOL, I know you don't want to use 'joy' or any other hippy-sounding terms to describe you .... :D .... but there it is.
I know we differ in our feelings about gigging but otherwise you and I are pretty damned similar in a lot of ways.

prolly the biggest thing I need in the world is someone like you that I could have fun with.
I have thought more than once that it'd be cool if we lived close enough to be able to hang some and I'd love to play with ya' sometime.

Next time you're anywhere near here you'd better let me know!

You bet I will. Without question.

I probably lay it on too thick about my dislike of gigging. I do mostly hate it, but mainly because it's not worth the trouble. I love playing, I hate the surrounding bullshit. If there was a light at the end of the tunnel, I'd be all for it. And by light, I mean money. I don't play music for money, but if there is money to be made, I want it. Since there is no money in being an original band, I see no point in playing live. I don't need or want the ego boost. It's more trouble than it's worth. I don't feel the need to share my music and the crappy logistics of gigging outweigh the personal satisfaction that I get from a 45 minute set. It's 45 minutes of fun and hours of downtime wedged between bursts of packing, loading, hauling, loading again, setting up, tearing down, loading again, hauling again, load back into the house. I can actually play for hours in the garage and have infinitely more fun than 45 minutes of doing it in front of people while pretending to be a rock star.

But I'd happily put up with it all if there was actually a way to make money with it.

But I'd happily put up with it all if there was actually a way to make money with it.
or possibly if everyone in the band was good and a fun hang.
Load-ins and load-outs can be fun but not if 2 guys are always late or grumpy assholes about it.
Or the butthole that sits at the bar jabbering while everyone else does the work.
Same with playing ....... if someone in the band doesn't bother to learn their parts or can't come up with a decent solo to save their lives it's not much fun.

My personal peeve is when there's a song to learn ...... I go to the trouble to make a CD or send the files and then rehearsal comes around and everyone puts on the tracks obviously for the first time and start learning their parts.

Man that pisses me off ...... take a fucking hour of your own damned time and learn the fucking thing! I do.

practice is the time for the band to fine tune the thing ...... not for you to listen to it for the first freakin' time!
:mad:

Me being me, I have to comment on it and it just goes downhill from there because people don't like getting their widdle feelin's hurt.

Of course, for me this is all moot (the proper use of the word moot as opposed to the constant misuse of it by Milo) ..... I don't do a lotta band shit anyways.... maybe that's a bright spot in the solo-thing ...... at least I have no idiots to put up with except myself.

or possibly if everyone in the band was good and a fun hang.
Load-ins and load-outs can be fun but not if 2 guys are always late or grumpy assholes about it.
Or the butthole that sits at the bar jabbering while everyone else does the work.
Same with playing ....... if someone in the band doesn't bother to learn their parts or can't come up with a decent solo to save their lives it's not much fun.

My personal peeve is when there's a song to learn ...... I go to the trouble to make a CD or send the files and then rehearsal comes around and everyone puts on the tracks obviously for the first time and start learning their parts.

Man that pisses me off ...... take a fucking hour of your own damned time and learn the fucking thing! I do.

practice is the time for the band to fine tune the thing ...... not for you to listen to it for the first freakin' time!
:mad:

Me being me, I have to comment on it and it just goes downhill from there because people don't like getting their widdle feelin's hurt.

Of course, for me this is all moot (the proper use of the word moot as opposed to the constant misuse of it by Milo) ..... I don't do a lotta band shit anyways.... maybe that's a bright spot in the solo-thing ...... at least I have no idiots to put up with except myself.

I agree. Do your fucking homework. Drives me insane. I learn my parts and they stay learned. I show up to practice to practice songs, not learn them. The only exception is if we're writing something together.

To go one further, I hate it when people can't remember their stuff. I play with one guy, great guy, but he is a fucking mental patient. He can remember every meaningless trivial fact about Randy Rhoads, and he can play every note RR ever played, but he can't remember our 4 chord rock songs. We're recording a new album and I'm having to make rough mixes with scratch tracks burned to a CD so he can re-re-re-learn his parts. The drummer in this band is laying guitar tracks for the lead guitarist to learn. How fucking dumb is that? And he doesn't write his leads. He fumble fucks through take after take until he plays something he likes, with each take getting more and more shreddy and less and less good. I told him point blank "use this CD to figure out your rhythms and leads. Write your leads, more like Angus, less like Yngwie. And then practice them until you can record them cleanly." He just laughed. I told him I'm serious. He then said okay. We'll see how it goes this weekend.

I agree. Do your fucking homework. Drives me insane. I learn my parts and they stay learned. I show up to practice to practice songs, not learn them. The only exception is if we're writing something together.

To go one further, I hate it when people can't remember their stuff. I play with one guy, great guy, but he is a fucking mental patient. He can remember every meaningless trivial fact about Randy Rhoads, and he can play every note RR ever played, but he can't remember our 4 chord rock songs. We're recording a new album and I'm having to make rough mixes with scratch tracks burned to a CD so he can re-re-re-learn his parts. The drummer in this band is laying guitar tracks for the lead guitarist to learn. How fucking dumb is that? And he doesn't write his leads. He fumble fucks through take after take until he plays something he likes, with each take getting more and more shreddy and less and less good. I told him point blank "use this CD to figure out your rhythms and leads. Write your leads, more like Angus, less like Yngwie. And then practice them until you can record them cleanly." He just laughed. I told him I'm serious. He then said okay. We'll see how it goes this weekend.
I have a prediction if you want it! :laughings:

I actually sat up last night looking for clips from a gig or two so I should have some of those soonish.
And some of them have the POG on them which I've been getting some nice sounds outta. (we're a 3-piece so I need some variety)

I went to Orlando and tried the organ pedal at G.C. ....... it really does sound as good as that video.
Pretty incredible organ sounds that'll drop your jaw ......... BUT:

It has to have a compressor somewhere in the circuit to make those long sustaining organ sounds ..... they have the threshold set a bit high for my Stinnett. I'd be playing at a decent picking strength and no organ and then I'd get a bit louder and BAM! ..... loud organ.
So I passed on it ......

But M.F, has a sale on till Monday and it ends up being 185 bucks and they do have a 30 day return so I ordered it.
I'm thinking a comp in front of it or a clean boost could turn the input up until it trggered at softer picking attacks or perhaps one of my gits with active p'ups.

I'll let ya' know

If you didn't listen to the demo at EH's site ..... give it a listen ...... it sounds very much like that. I changed the link after you quoted it so you might not have.

I actually sat up last night looking for clips from a gig or two so I should have some of those soonish.
And some of them have the POG on them which I've been getting some nice sounds outta. (we're a 3-piece so I need some variety)

I went to Orlando and tried the organ pedal at G.C. ....... it really does sound as good as that video.
Pretty incredible organ sounds that'll drop your jaw ......... BUT:

It has to have a compressor somewhere in the circuit to make those long sustaining organ sounds ..... they have the threshold set a bit high for my Stinnett. I'd be playing at a decent picking strength and no organ and then I'd get a bit louder and BAM! ..... loud organ.
So I passed on it ......

But M.F, has a sale on till Monday and it ends up being 185 bucks and they do have a 30 day return so I ordered it.
I'm thinking a comp in front of it or a clean boost could turn the input up until it trggered at softer picking attacks or perhaps one of my gits with active p'ups.

I'll let ya' know

EHX.com | B9 - Organ Machine | Electro-Harmonix

There's some tips and techniques in that link. Compressor being one of them.

Cool Bob....clips if/when you get time for 'em dude, I'd love to hear something not dressed up to make a sale, just the real deal....

Ok, can anyone suggest a power supply for a pedal board??? I've been looking at those cheap JOYO things, but I'm a little thrown of by it because I don't want it to add any more noise to my rig...Right now I've only got 4 pedals, but of course, I'll have more eventually, & wanna get something my board can grow with...Any suggestions??? And, FWIW, the reviews on the JOYO power supply are mixed, sure it's cheap (about $50-60), but again, I don't wanna get something that's gonna add a shit-load of noise to my rig....

JOYO Power Supply

One more fuckin' shift, & I get 3 days off too guys, supposedly anyway....

Cool Bob....clips if/when you get time for 'em dude, I'd love to hear something not dressed up to make a sale, just the real deal....

Ok, can anyone suggest a power supply for a pedal board??? I've been looking at those cheap JOYO things, but I'm a little thrown of by it because I don't want it to add any more noise to my rig...Right now I've only got 4 pedals, but of course, I'll have more eventually, & wanna get something my board can grow with...Any suggestions??? And, FWIW, the reviews on the JOYO power supply are mixed, sure it's cheap (about $50-60), but again, I don't wanna get something that's gonna add a shit-load of noise to my rig....

JOYO Power Supply

One more fuckin' shift, & I get 3 days off too guys, supposedly anyway....
I'm getting ready to buy a VooDoo Labs power supply.
It'll set me back 110 but I have a few situations where my 1Spot seems to make a high-pitched whine that I can't hear but is intolerable to the young guys in the band. Like those phone ringtones that are too high for adults?

Anyway ....... I don't know what you want to spend but I'm just gonna bite the bullet and spend a bill or so for s good power supply.

Back