The New And Improved Mic Forum Rep Thread

It is a bit of a history lesson on the MSH1 mics and who's who around here, though. So I guess it has some kind of value...

Yeah, that was back in the day, only two months into production. It was sleepy until Lawler posted his sample. I think I had sold maybe 60 total, all on eBay. By the end of August, I had done 300, finished developing a tube mic, done the first drum mic, created my own website, and still went to the beach most days :cool: For the first year, all the 1s were 100% point-to-point wiring, until I got repetitive stress injuries from twisting resistor leads. Now most products are SMT . . .

i'm reporting this. mshilarious is talking about selling stuff.

;)

Strictly speaking, I was talking about stuff sold two years ago. All of those products are long discontinued. But you can be reassured that the moderators are reviewing the issue, and I hope they implement a clear policy, whatever it is (and I have no idea what it will be).

Two things will be true after they have done so: I will fully adhere to their policy, and I will keep buying ads here--because they work really well, better than most other audio boards out there. Maybe we are less jaded, or less brand-conscious, or maybe we're just a bunch of cheap bastards. Who knows? But ads work, and they are worth paying for.

As an aside, all of the old products referenced here are open-source, in that I have published the schematics of the various MSH-1 mics and the MSH-4. And I didn't wait until they were discontinued; I published the MSH-4 circuit before I launched the product, and the MSH-1 circuit before I had a business. That continues to be true of products I am developing now. Business isn't about secrets, it's about value and service.

I have spent literally thousands of hours on product development, nearly all of which I would give away for free (the development, not the products ;) ). So when somebody says they need to earn a profit to get back the value of their time, but that somehow still means they aren't running a commercial business, that doesn't impress me much.

PS What would I not give away? Stuff that would just tend to confuse the DIY types who want to see schematics, because I have done something very unusual that would confuse them--and those that wouldn't be confused wouldn't need to see that circuit; they would already know how to do it.

Reactions: apl
Back