The New And Improved Mic Forum Rep Thread

I wondered why so many avatars had Dali mustaches.... Now if I can convince the girlfriend that it is necessary to grow one....

I can't tell if we're really supposed to be dropping "mic thoughts" or if this is some kind of joke...but I searched the thread for sm7 and sm-7 and nothing turned up, so...here's the quickest piece of advice and/or insight regarding mics that I can think of. Also happens to be the most concrete example I know of, of how "most expensive" does not automatically equal "best".

It's been said on these boards 100 times before, I'm sure, BUT:

On many voices, the trusty old dynamic (gasp!) Shure sm7 (often confused with, but not exactly the same as, the sm57) really does sound better than the most expensive, exotic, pre-war transformer/tube/magicalElves microphone out there.

Worked for:
Micheal Jackson (Thriller album)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (every album, I think...)
Metallica (much of the Black Album, I believe)

...and countless others who easily could have bought and used an army of c800s or u47/67/87/*7s ....but they used an sm7, instead, and recorded chart-topping albums with it.

Post approved?

Reactions: apl
Just picked up a ECM8000. I keep hearing people talk about them, so I figured that for $50 it's worth checking out. Anybody here use 'em?

Just picked up a ECM8000. I keep hearing people talk about them, so I figured that for $50 it's worth checking out. Anybody here use 'em?

a decent mic for the price...they were going for $29 some years back...the only thing most find is they do have some self noise, so that may be an issue depending on what you are recording....i have a pair but at that price Id probably do a SD MXL....

I'm actually looking to use it in place of the 603 I usually use on acoustic guitar. I find the 603 to be a little too much on the bright side, and a bit noisy, themselves.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/ :D

Toker - have you swapped the coupling capacitor in your 603s? It helps some - changing out those other two improves the bass some, as well. I still don't use mine very much, but it was a big improvement.

You have the details on that mod? I'm handy enough, but I've never modded any of my mics. With my NT5's as my current SDC faves, I wouldn't mind taking a little risk with my 603's.

You have the details on that mod? I'm handy enough, but I've never modded any of my mics. With my NT5's as my current SDC faves, I wouldn't mind taking a little risk with my 603's.
It's the one described in this thread (actually quoting another thread that I can't seem to find) --

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=272551

just a simple replacement of the capsule coupling capacitor with a higher quality 1000pf poly, and the replacement of two .22s with larger 1uf ones, per Marik, for better bass.

I've been doing this (for free) for some folks - I've modded two pairs of them. I haven't heard back from either of the owners :D

Now that Marik and Joly are modding these, I suspect (and secretly hope) that my budding practice is doomed, but I do have a number of sets of capacitors ready -- you want me to snail mail a set to you? I have them matched pretty well. They were negligibly cheap, so I will send them for free in a standard letter (PM me if you're interested).

[Note that Joly has a well considered policy that he won't work on mics that have been messed with by other people (including the owners of the mics, I suspect).]

I used 2 mics on my last acoustic project. A MK 319 at the 12th fret, and the 603 at the hole, about a foot away. Also plugged them in direct. Two different Ovation 6 strings, and an Ovation 12 string. Used the 603 very low in the mix, just to brighten up the highs. Got good results, but found the 603 a bit noisy.

Can check out the recording at:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=353210979

im not a fan of Ovations so its hard to judge the sound..it sounds good to me, but for a piece like that, Id rather a more full sounding acoustic..

have you tried the 319 out front and the 603 over the shoulder pointing down and out front?..

Not a fan of Ovation, either. Use to be, but anymore I simply don't believe plastic can ever sound like wood.

No, didn't try the 603 over the shoulder. I picked up the ECM8000 for that.

+1
yeah i've never been able to get a real "wow" sound when recording an ovation. i've gotten close, but never that sound that makes you go, "yes! that's it!"

Back