Tascam M520 Story...

Look on the back of the meter bridge itself. There are 6 screws along the top rear edge, and 6 screws along the back lower edge. Remove those 12 screws and the back panel should come free from the bridge assembly. If needed, you can remove the single screw from each side panel trim piece and remove that, and if the external and fold back RCA jacks make it hard to get in there, there are 4 screws that hold all 16 jacks to the back panel. Remove those and the back panel is completely free of the bridge assembly. If you have a chance to remove that back panel and get a couple pics of the back of the 9/10 and 11/12 meters that would be great. Thanks.

15EFFB14-8EE5-4645-B5CC-C9929E40E553.jpeg

No jump, no led flicker on 9&10.

Ok, here is an interesting find as I did some testing: Stereo A SOLO/PFL doesn't work, everything mutes. Stereo B SOLO/PFL work along with T/B.
Think someone might have gotten in there and done some custom wiring for their studio?? It should work as you said above AND as the manual states. I guess the only way to know is to open up that section of channels and see if anything looks amiss.
But what about the headphones? Can you still hear the SOLO buss in the headphone circuit?

But what about the headphones? Can you still hear the SOLO buss in the headphone circuit?
I haven’t tried that yet. When I bought the unit, the headphone jack was “dropped” inside the console. Turned out you were right, when i removed the top “vanity” plate, the nut was in there and I was able to reattach the headphone jack…. That said, it makes me wonder if it had been done on purpose and someone had a special wiring thing going on in there. I’ll check it and see. Also, I think I can remove the back panel of the meter bridge without removing the console from the desk by tilting it back and getting to those screws… just hope it doesn’t need any side screws removed. I already removed the wood panels from both sides of the meter bridge and the mixer itself to have a tighter fit into the desk.

Thanks for checking into this!

I doubt the headphone Jack has anything to do with what’s going on with your solo buss assignment issue. I recall that thing being loose on one of the M-500 consoles I’ve owned.

Regarding the meter bridge, maybe I’m not making myself clear…if you’ve already removed the small square shaped faux wood side trim panels from the meter bridge, the side screws are removed. I was only mentioning it because those side panels being in place might make it a little tighter to remove the rear panel from the bridge, but if yours are off already then all the better. And you shouldn’t have to tilt the bridge back to get to any of the 12 screws that hold the back panel on…6 across the top, and 6 across the back along the bottom of the back panel. Just look at it…you’ll see what I mean.

Got the panel off, here is a shot of the last 4 VUs. Nothing amiss here. Also, I tested headphones and solo/PFL does not work on headphones. So… someone or something has likely happened inside the board to change Stereo Master A & B outputs. For now I can live with it, but as soon as I can take the console out of the desk again, I can open that up from the bottom too.
5725F39F-43FF-49F5-BC84-2FB3A27465A3.jpeg

Okay, so I wasn’t thinking there would be anything amiss, but I needed to see the wiring. You see the little grey two conductor wire that goes to meters 9 & 10? I want you to plug it into meters 11 & 12 where the yellow two conductor wire plugs into those. Hopefully that makes sense. Then I want you to feed something to the AUX 1/2 buss, set the 9/10 meter source to AUX 1/2 and tell me if you see activity on 11 & 12 meters. The grey wire is what carries signal to the 9/10 meters. We are plugging that into the 11/12 meters instead, which we know work, to see if there is signal coming across the wire. If we see activity on the 11/12 meters with the 9/10 signal wire plugged into them, then we know signal is reaching the 9/10 meters, they just aren’t responding. So then we have to determine if they aren’t getting power or ground or something, or if the meter amps themselves are faulty. This is troubleshooting step 1 with the grey wire swap.

Regarding the solo buss, okay. That’s what I needed to know. That will help me narrow down where to look. If I was a betting man I’d bet there is a certain connector that is disconnected, and jumper wires inserted and either stuffed into another connector or strategically soldered to points on the respective board. But I need to look at the schematics again. It is actually helpful it doesn’t work in the headphones because that likely makes the solution more simple, and also supports that it isn’t some weird freakish fault going on, but some weird freakish thing that somebody intentionally executed. Which means…it’s reversible.

This thread has become THE PREMIER M520 thread on the internet! Period! Don’t get much better than this.

Thank you Cory. And all the other contributors too.
👍🏼

This may be a very newb question but I'm confused by this in the manual. Channels 3 & 4 are RIAA Phono capable on the line in, does this mean you can't have a regular line in on these two channels, only phono or Mic? Same goes for Channels 1 & 2 instrument RCA and 1/4" TS. Manual says those are parallel but when TS is plugged in, it cancels out the RCA. Does this mean the RCA is also a regular line in? Confused. I'm trying to figure this out as I set up my Patchbays.
Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 7.41.45 PM.png

Channels 1&2 the TS and RCA jacks are for passive Hi-Z instruments. The TS jack breaks the RCA jack to avoid having two instruments plugged into the same input simultaneously. The only way to input a line level source to channels 1&2 is via the RCV jacks. Same goes for channels 3&4, but as you note that is phono preamp only; no line level input unless you use the RCV jacks, but in those cases you have no input trim functionality or EQ.

[EDIT]

Correction, if you want to input a line level source to channels 1-4 you can use the TAPE IN jacks.

Last edited:
Channels 1&2 the TS and RCA jacks are for passive Hi-Z instruments. The TS jack breaks the RCA jack to avoid having two instruments plugged into the same input simultaneously. The only way to input a line level source to channels 1&2 is via the RCV jacks. Same goes for channels 3&4, but as you note that is phono preamp only; no line level input unless you use the RCV jacks, but in those cases you have no input trim functionality or EQ.

[EDIT]

Correction, if you want to input a line level source to channels 1-4 you can use the TAPE IN jacks.
Thanks, although I appreciate their thoughts for a Hi-Z impedence instrument jack input in the mixer, and some probably needed to use this kind of board in a radio production studio, so PHONO preamp built in was a boon... but in my situation, what if I want to record line level inputs from drum machine or keyboard on 1-4 channels, using RCV kinda sucks and I'll have TAPE IN being use for Tape in from the patchbay routing my returns from the MS-16, I guess I can patch thru the front to use channels 1-4 there? and just skip it on the patchbay for LINE INs? I'm learning and I appreciate the work around ideas.

Okay, so I wasn’t thinking there would be anything amiss, but I needed to see the wiring. You see the little grey two conductor wire that goes to meters 9 & 10? I want you to plug it into meters 11 & 12 where the yellow two conductor wire plugs into those. Hopefully that makes sense. Then I want you to feed something to the AUX 1/2 buss, set the 9/10 meter source to AUX 1/2 and tell me if you see activity on 11 & 12 meters. The grey wire is what carries signal to the 9/10 meters. We are plugging that into the 11/12 meters instead, which we know work, to see if there is signal coming across the wire. If we see activity on the 11/12 meters with the 9/10 signal wire plugged into them, then we know signal is reaching the 9/10 meters, they just aren’t responding. So then we have to determine if they aren’t getting power or ground or something, or if the meter amps themselves are faulty. This is troubleshooting step 1 with the grey wire swap.
Did the swap, just as you outlined above, Meters 11/12 did not work with the input from 9/10. Unfortunately meters 11/12 wire would not reach to 9/10 to test those.
I'm guessing your last conclusion is correct, someone did some kind of jumper or rewire inside.. for who knows why. It does kinda suck to not be able to solo/PFL through headphones but likely being a one man studio, i'll never need to do that and since it works with Stereo Master B, which I'm using as my studio monitor, I'll be able to do it in mixdown.
Let me know what you think is next, although I think if I have to remove it and open it all the way up, it might have to wait for a little bit, I'm kinda eager to just get my studio running to have some fun, then dig in later.
Thanks again Sweetbeats!

Thanks, although I appreciate their thoughts for a Hi-Z impedence instrument jack input in the mixer, and some probably needed to use this kind of board in a radio production studio, so PHONO preamp built in was a boon... but in my situation, what if I want to record line level inputs from drum machine or keyboard on 1-4 channels, using RCV kinda sucks and I'll have TAPE IN being use for Tape in from the patchbay routing my returns from the MS-16, I guess I can patch thru the front to use channels 1-4 there? and just skip it on the patchbay for LINE INs? I'm learning and I appreciate the work around ideas.
I’m not following what you mean by “I guess I can patch thru the front to use channels 1-4 there? and just skip it on the patchbay for LINE INs?” Could you clarify?

Did the swap, just as you outlined above, Meters 11/12 did not work with the input from 9/10. Unfortunately meters 11/12 wire would not reach to 9/10 to test those.
I'm guessing your last conclusion is correct, someone did some kind of jumper or rewire inside.. for who knows why. It does kinda suck to not be able to solo/PFL through headphones but likely being a one man studio, i'll never need to do that and since it works with Stereo Master B, which I'm using as my studio monitor, I'll be able to do it in mixdown.
Let me know what you think is next, although I think if I have to remove it and open it all the way up, it might have to wait for a little bit, I'm kinda eager to just get my studio running to have some fun, then dig in later.
Thanks again Sweetbeats!
And you are POSITIVE you had the controls set appropriately and had signal going to that 9/10 meter feed?

Like, if you don’t mind can you walk me through, in detail, how you had things set? How you did it?

And the next step with your solo buss assign issue is to pull the console out, tip it on its side and pull the bottom panels off the cover the master section.

I’m not following what you mean by “I guess I can patch thru the front to use channels 1-4 there? and just skip it on the patchbay for LINE INs?” Could you clarify?
I am thinking of running the tape out of MS-16 into a patch bay, then out of that into TAPE IN on the first 16 channels of the M-520. I was talking about patch thru the front of the patch bay whatevery line level instrument I want. Would that work?

And you are POSITIVE you had the controls set appropriately and had signal going to that 9/10 meter feed?

Like, if you don’t mind can you walk me through, in detail, how you had things set? How you did it?

And the next step with your solo buss assign issue is to pull the console out, tip it on its side and pull the bottom panels off the cover the master section.
So I used, as I have been using, the tone generator to send a signal to the busses and AUX 3/4 with AUX 1/2 not responding. I also had something coming through channels 5/6 using busses 5/6 to the stereo masters. Master B would normally show levels on 11/12 when the selector switch was set to Stereo B. When I plugged in the gray wire into 11/12 meters, I did the same but no response from 9/10 meters. Same goes for tone generator that was working in 11/12, did not show up on the meters 9/10. Was there something else I should have done? I regret not trying meters 7/8 plug as it would have reached and sent a signal through the buss on 7/8 to see if 9/10 reacted. Let me know, but I fear the only next step is pulling it and opening up the back, as you said. That might be a week or so before I'm ready to do that. I really appreciate the time you're spending on this, thank you!

Hey so thanks for the explanation about the TAPE IN jacks 1-4 and the patchbay. Yes sure you could that, but are the LINE IN inputs on 5-16 being used already? You usually use the TAPE IN jacks during mixdown and when you are overdubbing you monitor tape tracks via the monitor mixer or via online monitoring using the AUX busses.

I think the next step with the 9/10 meters is to do that redundant test of taking the signal wire from the 7/8 meters with known signal passing and connect that to meters 9/10. I should have suggested that. Good job identifying that. Do that when you can. It will determine if we have multiple issues going on; dead meters AND no signal on 9/10, or just no signal.

Hey so thanks for the explanation about the TAPE IN jacks 1-4 and the patchbay. Yes sure you could that, but are the LINE IN inputs on 5-16 being used already? You usually use the TAPE IN jacks during mixdown and when you are overdubbing you monitor tape tracks via the monitor mixer or via online monitoring using the AUX busses.
I assumed that was what TAPE IN was for, but what is the preferred way to listen to the outputs of my MS-16? There isn't just a stereo out plus I'd like to be able to listen to just a track at a time if needed (solo). I was going to use a patch bay so I could have more versatility in how I route that though. Just curious and open for education. Re-reading the manual again, maybe third time it will sink in... this thing can be complex!
I think the next step with the 9/10 meters is to do that redundant test of taking the signal wire from the 7/8 meters with known signal passing and connect that to meters 9/10. I should have suggested that. Good job identifying that. Do that when you can. It will determine if we have multiple issues going on; dead meters AND no signal on 9/10, or just no signal.
Will do, I can probably do that sometime tomorrow. I'll get back to you.

Yes, the TAPE IN jacks are intended as the returns from your multitrack tape machine; should be connected to the tape machine outputs. You don't need any kind of summing mixer onboard the tape machine or in between the tape machine and the console (so no need for "just a stereo out" from the tape machine). What I was saying wasn't meant to indicate you don't use the TAPE IN jacks.

Come...take a walk with me...look at the jack panels for each input channel. How many inputs do you see? Not counting the RCV jack you see three for each input channel, right?

Channel 1: MIC, TAPE and INSTRUMENT inputs
Channel 2: MIC, TAPE and INSTRUMENT inputs
Channel 3: MIC, TAPE and PHONO inputs
Channel 4: MIC, TAPE and PHONO inputs
Channel 5: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 6: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 7: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 8: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 9: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 10: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 11: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 12: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 13: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 14: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 15: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 16: MIC, TAPE and LINE inputs
Channel 17: MIC, LINE and 2TR A inputs
Channel 18: MIC, LINE and 2TR A inputs
Channel 19: MIC, LINE and 2TR B inputs
Channel 20: MIC, LINE and 2TR B inputs

"My goodness" you say..."That's 60 inputs! But I only have 20 channel strips, so its really just like 20 inputs, right?"

Nnnnnnnnope.

You can actually monitor two of the three inputs simultaneously on each channel strip, and in multiple ways.

So you're going to connect the outputs of the MS16 to TAPIN IN jacks 1-16 on the M-520. You know you use the INPUT source select toggle switch at the top of the channel strip to select the source of the channel strip, right? You typically have those set to MIC or any of the secondary input sources during tracking (the INSTRUMENT, PHONO or LINE inputs for sources of those types, if applicable). You flip them all the way to the right to TAPE (on channels 1-16) during mixdown. So during tracking you have simultaneous access to any combination of 20 MIC, INSTRUMENT, PHONO or LINE inputs sources.

So now you're still going "Right, sweetbeats, I get it already, but how am I supposed to monitor playback of my tape tracks as I fill tracks during overdubs? HOW?!?"

Each input channel has three possible sources, and as noted above you can select one at a time as the main input for each channel strip, but look at the AUX 1/2 and AUX 3/4 source select toggle switches on input channels 1-16. What do you see? They look like this, right?

PRE POST TAPE

Tape? Yes. Tape. You can set the source of the AUX busses on channels 1-16 to the TAPE IN jacks independent of the input source setting of the channel strip. This is called inline monitoring, where a channel strip can discretely monitor two or more separate inputs at once. You could have channel 1 listening to the MIC input (channel INPUT source select toggle switch set to MIC), but AUX 1/2 (for instance) listening to the TAPE IN 1 jack (AUX 1/2 source select toggle set to TAPE). So then during tracking and overdubbing, if you used (for instance) the AUX 1 or AUX 2 buss (or *both* to create a stereo mix...ask me if you don't understand what I mean there), any AUX 1/2 source select switch set to TAPE will be listening to that channel's corresponding TAPE IN jack, which corresponds numerically to the same numbered tape track, you turn up the AUX buss level knob, then raise that AUX buss' master fader, depress that AUX buss' button in the MONITOR SELECT switchrack in the master section, and then in the headphones and at the STEREO A and B out jacks will be your submix of the tape tracks you are monitoring via the AUX buss knobs on your input channels. Its a mix within the mix. And you have options. Let's say you're like "But sweetbeats I need all my AUX busses for cue feeds of input sources for the talent during tracking as well as for effects sends for wet cue feeds and some wet printing to tape." Look at the 16 channel monitor mixer you have there above the PGM group faders. Each of those 16 channels also has a source select toggle switch...yes? Looks something like this?

BUSS | TAPE

When set to "BUSS" that monitor mixer channel is listening to the post fader signal of the PGM group fader directly underneath it. When set to "|" that monitor mixer channel is off. When set to "TAPE" that monitor mixer channel is listening to...guess what? The numerically corresponding TAPE IN jack. You can monitor all 16 tape tracks at any time via the monitor mixer. It is another 16 x 2 mixer within the mixer. Set your source select toggle switches to TAPE, set the LEVEL and PAN knobs to taste and you have a completely independent monitor mix of all 16 tape tracks. This is actually what the monitor mixer was intended to do when interfacing a 16-track tape machine with the M-520. Then you depress the MON switch in the MONITOR SELECT switchrack in the master section, and in the headphones and at the STEREO A dn B out jacks is the stereo sum output of your monitor mixer.

So that's how its supposed to work. During tracking and overdubs you are using the primary and secondary inputs to the channels for your sources you are tracking, your tertiary inputs (the TAPE IN jacks) are monitored via an AUX buss (or two if you need a stereo cue mix of your tape tracks) for the talent or you as the engineer, you have additional AUX busses for send effects if the talent needs that reverb in their headphone mix OR if you are printing any tracks to tape wet, and the monitor mixer is for you as the engineer to monitor a stereo mix of up to all 16 tape tracks. If you are using program groups for a stereo submix of your input channels or as additional sends or submixes to tape, you can monitor those PGM groups via the monitor mixer by setting monitor mixer channels to "BUSS", but if you are using all monitor mixer channels to monitor the 16 tape tracks, then just take the relevant PGM OUT jacks and patch them to the SPARE input jacks, or if you aren't using either or both of your sets of 2TR A or 2TR B inputs you can patch to there as well, and then depress the corresponding switch in the MONITOR SELECT switchrack. Now your PGM group stereo mixes or individual PGM groups can be heard in the headphones or at the STEREO A and B out jacks. You can also use the MON SUB IN jacks this way, and have any two channels' outputs riding along with the output of the monitor mixer, and monitored via the MON switch in the MONITOR SELECT switchrack. Typically you aren't needing to monitor all 16 tape tracks during tracking and overdubbing, because if all 16 tape tracks are full, its time for mixdown. And furthermore I'm usually not needing to listen to all tape tracks that I have recorded at any given point while tracking and overdubbing anyway...I'm monitoring inputs, and key tape tracks. So that often leaves multiple monitor mixer channels idle, and those can conveniently be set to "BUSS" to monitor PGM groups. But the monitor mixer CAN monitor and mix all 16 tape tracks simultaneous, and in that case you have those options suggested above for monitoring PGM groups you are using.

Does this make sense? The M-500 series consoles aren't like conventional basic mixers...Your M-520 isn't just a 20 x 8 console...it is a 20 x 8 console with a semi-configurable 16 x 2 nested within, and each of the 20 input channels can monitor, if needed, two inputs at once.

From in the field use, I can tell you the possibilities are almost endless. When I bought my first 520, I bought it from a gentleman who had ‘upgraded’ to 2 Mackie 16 channel mixers (1st generation) . He was all caught up in the Mackie buzz and wanted one for tracking and the other for returns. Poor man’s 32 channel split console?

I don’t think he had any clue what he was giving up.

Back