Tascam 388 Weird Whirring Noise

Yup you got it! Black washer was rubber, popped right off with a little encouragement. Perfectly said.
When I pulled the capstan shaft / flywheel out from the machine upside down I actually saw it on the table under the tascam when I flipped it over.

Hi, I own a 388 and, even though my capstan is not squealing, I appreciate learning the proper way to remove, clean and lubricate this part of the machine.
Everyone's patience (nod to Sweetbeats) is greatly appreciated while helping babecityrecords work through this. I'm about to order the oil Sweetbeats recommended next! Quick hijack question, can I use this oil on other parts of the machine? Thanks, Brian

Hi, Brian. Yes you can, but there are very few places it is used: tension arm rollers, impedance roller, pinch roller and counter roller. And in each case I would make sure to clean the roller shafts and bearing bores before oiling, and to be conservative with how much oil you apply. Also be aware there are little Teflon or polyethylene thrust washers above and below each of those rollers…if they aren’t there they are supposed to be there…if they’re there make sure you don’t loose them when you remove the roller for servicing.

Sweetbeats is a tascam god!
Thanks again for all the help sweetbeats, still very grateful for you as a resource.

And BMG123 here's the oil I used too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QNQ2VE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually ran into another tascam issue recently ha. The fun continues.
Sweetbeats, hoping this is an easier fix.
When I turn on the tascam, it gives this weird static noise out the speakers -- it goes away mostly after some use -- when I unplugged the tascam from the speakers the noise stopped, so definitely a tascam issue and not my little speakers. I don't think it's recording on the tape too thank god.

Here's a video of it in action, 30 seconds long: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mv8-GM9mgRslELlKgjZKQFkRJr6YpY8i?usp=share_link

Let me know any ideas, and thanks as always!!

What other outputs have the noise?

Check all of them.

How do you have the 388 and your Mackie monitors connected? Which outputs are you using and which inputs? What type and brand of cable?

Quick follow up, I had a noisy eq pot that needed a few more shots of contact cleaner. While i had the bottom off, I did remove the capstan, clean the shaft and used the turbine oil Sweetbeats recommended just as described in this thread. Not only did I clean the shaft and the bore (they didn't seem dirty thankfully) but with the capstan removed, it was much easier to really clean the area in the tape path. It looks almost new and is quiet as a mouse :)

Sweetbeats, thanks again for walking us through this!

Brian

Quick follow up, I had a noisy eq pot that needed a few more shots of contact cleaner. While i had the bottom off, I did remove the capstan, clean the shaft and used the turbine oil Sweetbeats recommended just as described in this thread. Not only did I clean the shaft and the bore (they didn't seem dirty thankfully) but with the capstan removed, it was much easier to really clean the area in the tape path. It looks almost new and is quiet as a mouse :)

Sweetbeats, thanks again for walking us through this!

Brian
Awesome! Glad it helped!

Hi everyone. I have just picked up a 388, and along with it, noise coming from the capstan zone. This thread is so helpful. I tried the oil and followed all of the steps mentioned before, but the sound is still there. I can't tell if this is just the motor sound or an issue with the alignment of the capstan within the shaft?

Any advice here would be so helpful! Here is a link with what i am seeing/hearing: Capstan sound

Thanks!

- christian

That just sounds like motor noise, but it’s louder than I’ve experienced. Do you know any recent history on the machine? Like if the capstan drive belt was recently replaced?

Hey, thanks for this. I bought it from a guy named Ian Doerr who runs a business in LA called Lovemag. He advertised the machine as refurbished and in need of nothing. He's since completely ghosted me on this machine and any questions I've had about it.

The belt looks like it is in good shape. I am wondering if I will be needing to find a motor for it now. Seems like that could be a challenge so far after taking a quick look around.

It would be awesome if I could find out before finding and buying a motor. Just concerned about that sound bleeding into mics nearby... or it being a bigger issue that needs addressing.

Thanks for your insight.

If it was me I’d tip it on its side, remove the bottom panel, slip the belt off, power it up and get the motor running. If it is still loud it may be an issue with the motor getting tired, though I’ve not experienced that before, and if it is significantly quieter I’d question the belt is the correct belt if a replacement.

Interesting.

Yeah I agree. So…if it was me I’d probably do something stupid like take it apart to inspect and clean, etc., taking the risk of completely killing it. I don’t know where you’re at with that level of stupidity and I can’t recall if that motor is a basic brush-type DC motor or something more complicated, and if it has cartridge bearings or sleeve-type. I’ve had reeling motors sound like that that were brush-type with cartridge bearings…there was plenty of meat on the brushes but the commutator was completely loaded with wear material. But I cleaned them up, installed new bearings, and made 100% certain the brushes and everything went back in exactly as removed and they worked great, had more power, and were much quieter. I suspect the 388 capstan motor is not likely the same degree of simplicity, but you could remove it and try and get some more pictures of it and I might be able to advise…alternatively you could just look for an electric motor repair facility…there are places that do this sort of thing and refurbish electric motors.

Also, worth noting, I also posted on Reddit for some answers before we spoke, and someone said they had the same issue and took it to a shop that fixed it by doing this:
" I took my 388 to Trevor at Arcane Amps in Portland and he said “It was the full reset and recalibration of the transport mechanisms that needed reset”"

Do you know what that means? Does that mean anything to you / something you've done before?
Thanks again, as always..
That statement by your tech is BS.

Back