A/B sample - which do you like better

brassplyer

Two examples of the same sections of a mix. Which do you prefer and why?

To clarify - I didn't do the original recording of either the voice or the piano - they're singing along to a karaoke track, the piano has been pitch-shifted from the original key so sounds a bit burbly, I'm playing around with it.

Sample A

Sample B

Last edited:
A - voice is great. Piano is horrible. Sounds like a Clavinova with a blanet over the speakers - in part two it's also far too loud, but sounds like it was played the same velocity and just turned up.
B - Sounds pretty much the same as A, but the piano destroys it.

There could be a difference between the vocal on A and B, but the piano gets in the way. I do know that I'd have no issues recording tjhis singer - it's a decent voice, controlled and workable. The sort of voice where you'd try swapping mics, distances and reverbs to suit the song. Just get rid of the horrible piano. It sounds plastic, muffled and not remotely realistic.

A - voice is great. Piano is horrible. Sounds like a Clavinova with a blanet over the speakers - in part two it's also far too loud, but sounds like it was played the same velocity and just turned up.
B - Sounds pretty much the same as A, but the piano destroys it.

There could be a difference between the vocal on A and B, but the piano gets in the way. I do know that I'd have no issues recording tjhis singer - it's a decent voice, controlled and workable. The sort of voice where you'd try swapping mics, distances and reverbs to suit the song. Just get rid of the horrible piano. It sounds plastic, muffled and not remotely realistic.
She's singing along to a pitch-shifted karaoke track which is why the piano sounds burbly. I'm playing with the resultant mix.

Yes, she's a fantastic singer though it's strictly a hobby for her.

What is the song called and by whom?
EDIT
I found it - there are a few midi files, but no free ones I can see, shame - nice song. Needs a nice piano.

What was the difference in her voice on the two files?

Last edited:
What is the song called and by whom?
EDIT
I found it - there are a few midi files, but no free ones I can see, shame - nice song. Needs a nice piano.

What was the difference in her voice on the two files?
I fooled around with a multiband compressor to mitigate the low end on the piano to try and bring out her voice. A is the original B is the eq'd version.

Below is a sampler of some other performances of hers - you might want to lower the volume, the level is a lot hotter than the other files.

None of them were made under decent recording conditions - just her singing into some POS Walmart computer mic or mic from a karaoke machine in her living room. She's not into tech she's just a fantastic singer, never been in a proper studio setting in her life. Her vocal on the one above I believe doesn't sound too bad just because the webcam she's using has a reasonably decent mic compared to previous things she's done. I got into the act with her on "Unwritten" - the horns are me. It was an exercise in coming up with a horn mix then cutting the fidelity to try and match it to the eroded fidelity of her recording.

Sampler

It's a very commercial voice and just proves you don't need expensive gear if you've got a decent voice.

I listened again to the first recording and realised it is very difficult to sing as it's not really in 4/4 time! Very difficult to sing to.

Back