Tascam 388 channel 1 not recording

Thanks for replying. As it turns out, it is just as you said, tracks 1 and 8 are not working! When I record on them the sound is muffled and inaudible. I left with only 6 tracks, and though this is not the end of the world I will be made to bounce tracks to be able to record songs. This is what I was previously doing on my Tascam 414 cassette recorder and though I rather enjoyed bouncing, which allowed me to extend the possibilities of the four track, I was usually dissatisfied by the audio quality even after one bounce. I have not tried the internal bouncing feature of the 388 yet, anyone have any tips as how to go about it most efficiently and how to retain as much audio quality and punchyness as possible?

If the problem is indeed wear in the heads, is an attempt to repair this somewhat futile? Am I right in thinking that the heads are pretty much unattainable and that replacing them is a difficult and costly service?

Thanks for replying. As it turns out, it is just as you said, tracks 1 and 8 are not working! When I record on them the sound is muffled and inaudible. I left with only 6 tracks, and though this is not the end of the world I will be made to bounce tracks to be able to record songs. This is what I was previously doing on my Tascam 414 cassette recorder and though I rather enjoyed bouncing, which allowed me to extend the possibilities of the four track, I was usually dissatisfied by the audio quality even after one bounce. I have not tried the internal bouncing feature of the 388 yet, anyone have any tips as how to go about it most efficiently and how to retain as much audio quality and punchyness as possible?

If the problem is indeed wear in the heads, is an attempt to repair this somewhat futile? Am I right in thinking that the heads are pretty much unattainable and that replacing them is a difficult and costly service?

All is not lost. You could try running a new reel of RMG LPR 35 in ffw a few times with the tape lifters up. This can actually widen the wear patter on the edge tracks so the tape will sit more flat on the heads creating more contact with trks 1 and 8. Or you could send the heads out to get relapped. That should fix them. As for new heads.... they don't make them anymore. I have seen a few relapped head stacks pop up on ebay from time to time, but it's kind of a rare sighting.

Back