Sonar and 24 bit

starfox

I'm using sonar will it support 24 bit from Tascam us 122 Having tons of problems with skipping and getting this thing installed so it works good! should I be running this from usb 2, right now I only have 1 should I upgrade?

Your post is a little hard to understand - are you having trouble installing Sonar or the Tascam? What kind of computer do you have? How much memory? How fast is your hard drive?

If the Tascam has a USB 2 out you should definitely upgrade to a USB 2 port on your computer - USB 1 is just to slow in my opinion, especially for 24 bit audio - but if I am not mistaken the Tascam only supports USB 1, so it won't do you any good to hook it up to a USB 2 port on your PC.

One of the keys to avoiding pops and clicks is adjusting the latency and buffer settings in Sonar and your soundcard's preferences (Sonar < Options < Audio).

- Chris

Indravayu is right. The Tascam US-122 is a USB 1.1 unit, so you won't gain anything by using USB2.

Im running 1.8 celeron 20 g hard drive 380 ram xp home.It works with sonar with the exeption of asio 24 bit driver. It skipps constantlly. I cleaned out startup programs and did some tweaking by following instructions from xpmusic.com and it still skipps. My hard drive is half full could that have something to do with it? The Tascam unit has a usb2 to 1 cable that came with it! are you sure it only supports usb 1. I would call tech support but its a toll call.

Mine will not work with ASIO either, and I have a lot more speed than you. I use WDM and it works.

The newest drivers do not work either. I believe the ones I use are 3.24.

Last edited:
Well I finally got this thing working after doing some much needed pc upgrading. I installed a new 80g hard drive and a usb 2 card. I reinstalled windows and now it works fine, everything accept asio 24 bit driver. Is there a huge differance between wdm and asio. The sound quality is pretty amazing overall! One question Im running from preamp out of my guitar amp to 1/4 right line. I only get signal if I turn the knob on tascam to mic. whats the differance between mic and line inputs.

yes WDM is fine to use over ASIO.... some people say ASIO gives lower latency but i have not noticed that.

I think the difference between the mic and line levels is that the mic level has a higher voltage. I think it boosts the signal whereas the line-in does not.

Back