Should I buy a Presonus Firebox

toleolu

A guy I work with has a Presonus Firebox he'll sell me for $150.00. It's more than capable of doing what I want. Just a low end home recording user.

Should I pay this much for a discontinued product??? And if so, what would you guys recommend as far as an audio editor??? Keeping in mind it's just me, recording tracks from an acoustic and electric guitar.

Thanks

I picked one up at a local pawn shop for $87 bucks. It had the box and all included cords/disks, and it didn't have a scratch on it. Works great.

My kid uses it with Reaper, which is not really an editor, but good, stable, cheap tracking software. Free to try forever, actually...but you should pay for it if you use it.

I'm sure there are free editors out there. I still use Adobe Audition out of habit for editing.

Audition is a little outside my budget right now. I used Cool Edit Pro in the past, (isn't that what Adobe bought and rebranded as Audition??) I've also used Audacity on my Linux box, but had some issues with that. Might have been due more to my old hardware though.

Are any of the < $100.00 editors any good??? Remember I just need something simple for right now.

Thanks

You can get Cubase 5 Essentials for ~$75. It's what I use and I get everything I want from it. It's very capable software for not a lot of money.

If Chris got his firebox from a pawn shop for $90, $100- $125 doesn't sound too bad with a deal from your friend. If he doesn't budge on the price, then $150 is okay, too. my opinion.

$150 is okay, too. my opinion.

I agree. It's worth it.

I've had issues with Presonus gear, but all of it has been firewire stuff. As far as I'm concerned, the company has horrible customer service and zero support, but for $150, I really think you should be able to get your money's worth out of it with very little risk.

And the preamps on that little unit are not bad at all. Compared to what was available to consumers even ten years ago, it's a great buy.

Audition is a little outside my budget right now. I used Cool Edit Pro in the past, (isn't that what Adobe bought and rebranded as Audition??) I've also used Audacity on my Linux box, but had some issues with that. Might have been due more to my old hardware though.

Are any of the < $100.00 editors any good??? Remember I just need something simple for right now.

Thanks

Audacity works fine on my PC. I also use Reaper, which has been great for me. You can try it for free, so you really have nothing to lose checking it out.

I see completed listings on ebay from $100 - $160 shipped so it's a fair price - especially if he still hasd the Cubase LE CD that came with it.

A lot of the best equipment is "discontinued"

Unfortunately, no it doesn't have the Cubase LE software, only has the firebox CD. That's why I was asking about the Editing software.

This Firebox CD, anyone have any issues with it running on Windows 7???

Unfortunately, no it doesn't have the Cubase LE software, only has the firebox CD. That's why I was asking about the Editing software.

This Firebox CD, anyone have any issues with it running on Windows 7???

You should just download the latest drivers anyways.... here ya go:

PreSonus

thanks to everyone, fatstrat (I like that since I'm restoring a fat strat with dual humbuckers now) thanks for the tip on Reaper, gonna give that a shot, and thanks for the link to the drivers chili, much appreciated.

I use one all the time and have no problems, firewire issues are with computer issues regarding the firewire chip (or something), as advised download the latest driver updates. First install with the discs supplied, then download and install the updates, there is also a firmware update that will install with the later driver updates.

Alan.

I use one all the time and have no problems, firewire issues are with computer issues regarding the firewire chip (or something), as advised download the latest driver updates. First install with the discs supplied, then download and install the updates, there is also a firmware update that will install with the later driver updates.

Alan.

Hey Alan... you don't know who the servicing agents for Presonus would be in Oz perchance... I have an MP20 I'd not turned on for a few years and when I did the other day, it's having issues.... some component has fried somewhere...

Cheers

Hey Alan... you don't know who the servicing agents for Presonus would be in Oz perchance... I have an MP20 I'd not turned on for a few years and when I did the other day, it's having issues.... some component has fried somewhere...

Cheers

Actually, don't worry, I've dug it up... Rode Microphones no less... who knew!

Got the Presonus hooked up last night worked OK. Using Audacity for right now. Recorded a couple of tracks from my acoustic, sounded good. Curious I can't seem to get the sampling rate highter than 44.1K. Should have the computer horsepower to do that, Running an AMD 6 core 4 GB Ram and an Asus Xonar D1 sound card.

No worries, will give me something to do this weekend while I wait on the coats of Poly to dry on my strat.

Thanks again guys. Great forum.

Well thats good news, Rode service has always been good.

Alan.

p.s., Where in Oz are you?

Sydney... just have to figure out a way to get it to them without taking a day off work... would rather deal direct than go through a retail dealer who tend just to just double the invoiced price...!

Talked to the guy on the phone yesterday... seemed a nice dude.

OP... sorry to hijack your thread! I'll go away now...

Sydney... just have to figure out a way to get it to them without taking a day off work... would rather deal direct than go through a retail dealer who tend just to just double the invoiced price...!

Sorry to keep the Hijack going, At least Rode are in Sydney, where I am there is no one for any support. Why don't you just put the Presonus on a courier service, it will probably cost $20 but will save the day off work and the hassle of getting there?

Just to hijack a little more, I will be in Sydney in July for Entech.

Cheers
Alan.

Curious I can't seem to get the sampling rate highter than 44.1K. Should have the computer horsepower to do that

No, that would either be Audacity or the Presonus driver. Nothing to do with your computer's specs.

Back