Seagull or Martin?

question444

I've begun a new "quest", this time for an acoustic guitar: steel string, no cutaway, no pickup, just a great acoustic for writing and recording.

If you had $2199, would you get a Martin HD-16R ($2199), or a Seagull Artist Studio, ($1099)? All of the guitars I played under $400 had subtle differences, and sounded nice, but the Martin just had an incredible feel and sound. I see that both have spruce tops with rosewood sides (comparable guitars)?

Of course, any other suggestions or advice is welcome.

I've begun a new "quest", this time for an acoustic guitar: steel string, no cutaway, no pickup, just a great acoustic for writing and recording.

If you had $2199, would you get a Martin HD-16R ($2199), or a Seagull Artist Studio, ($1099)? All of the guitars I played under $400 had subtle differences, and sounded nice, but the Martin just had an incredible feel and sound. I see that both have spruce tops with rosewood sides (comparable guitars)?

Of course, any other suggestions or advice is welcome.

Have you played both? I have a Seagull Artist that I love--but I don't own a $2199 Martin to compare it to. So I can't answer the question. You have to play both. (By that I mean you have to play the specific guitar you'll end up buying; even after I decided on a Seagull for my price range, I found subtle differences and went back and forth between 4 different Seagull's before choosing mine; that would be even more necessary when still trying to decide between different makers.)

I'd think the Martin would be the better guitar. A friend has a cutaway dreadnaught that's a real sweet-sounding box.

Another consideration is that the Martin will retain its value much better than will the Seagull.

There's nothing wrong with Seagull, but I'd go for the Martin.

I have both

...but I like them for different reasons. The Seagull I can take to a festival and leave in the sun and not feel too bad about it. The Martin has that giant boomy Martin bass (1974 D28) though. I bought the Seagull with a CEDAR top. This gives me a great fingerpicking guitar. I use the Martin for flatpicking. When recording playing both together on a doubled part gives a huge sound that I especially like. As mentioned, Seagulls don't hold their resale. Used Seagulls can be picked up for 2-400 dollars. Considering this, why not buy both?

I hate to muddy up the waters but...

Before you decide on an instrument you may want to consider an OM sized guitar over a dreadnaught if recording is your goal. Those smaller bodied guitars record much better for me than my dreads.

Other than that, If it feels good and sounds good it is good. Don't worry too much about the name on the headstock. Just keep looking until you find a guitar you really love and figure out how to pay for it. Considering what you've said you're prepared to spend you shouldn't have any trouble.

yeah, of course I will have to play it before I buy it, but they don't have it in the store so I would have to ask them to order it or whatever, which I don't know if they'll do unless I buy it. I touched heaven when i played that Martin, so I guess everything else will be downhill. but just looking at that seagull, and the fact that they call it their "flagship" dreadnaught, is enticing. i'm leaning towards buying used.

+1 on buying used, but you do really want to play the guitar before you buy it. If you buy new, you should be able to get a substantial discount off list on a new Martin. I second looking at smaller body guitars as well, especially if you plan to record them. OM and even parlour size guitars can be great and 00 and 000 size Martins can be wonderful. I have a 0-18 Martin that IMHO is my best playing and sounding guitar. And that is in comparison to a 1965 D-28 and a 1966 J-45 that I also own. Needless to say, none of these were bought new.

I, too, own both a Seagull and a Martin. Each are down-line from the ones you are considering, but I think my experience can benefit you.

First, what I have:
Seagull S6 Dreadnaught, and S6-folk. Both bought used, paid $150 for each, altho you should expect to pay about $200.
Martin SPD-18. Bought new, paid (as I recall) $800, got a discount because it had a cosmetic flaw, but still carries lifetime warranty.

Both marques carry a lifetime warranty to the original buyer. I am happy to buy used, but that warranty is nothing to sneeze at. I can tell you from personal experience, Martin stands behind their products. I have gotten excellent support from Seagull, too, but I don't qualify for the warranty, so I can't comment on that.

If the Martin was really that dreamy to you, you will be disapointed if you buy the Seagull- it will never seem to measure up to your memories (which may be false, but will still be your memoires) of the Martin. Turst me on this one- I am STILL kicking myself for passing on that '68 Gibson LesPaul Lefty in Seattle- coudda had it for $500- FROM A VINTAGE GUITAR SHOP!

There are very, VERY few guitars that are the value Seagulls are. Yes, a martin may sell for more (perhaps even a greater precentage of it's new price) but I sense you are buying for your use, not to resell. Frankly, I am not sure a Martin really IS a better guitar than a 'Gull, if comparing apples-apples in quality, appointments, etc.

I have been impressed with Seagulls ever since I found one for $70(!) at a garage sale- never heard of the brand at that time, and felt like I was taking a risk. If I was, it paid off. Martins carry considerable cache', but I think the cost is just a little out of proportion compared to that cache' and the quality. Put another way: you will get better value with a Seagull, than a Martin.

I would bet you could find a Seagull that plays and sounds at least as good as that Martin, and save yourself about a grand. OR, contact LaPatrie, tell 'em you are considering a Martin that cost twice as much as the Seagull you are looking at, and ask them what they can do. I would bet you dollars to donuts they can build you a KILLER Seagull guitar, as custom as you want, for two grand, that will blow that Martin out of the water.

Heck, ask if they can indorse you!

Oh, ONE MORE THING; The Seagull Folk-sized guitar is better balanced (sound) than the Dreadnaught. I second the comment on buying a smaller guitar, esp. if recording.

I have a 72 D-28 that was bought new by my uncle -- I think it was somewhere around $600-$800? :D Unfortunately, that lifetime warranty only lasted 4 years... :(

I've never owned a Seagull, but love them when I pick them up in the store.

I think buying used is a great idea - good way to cull out the durability duds, too.

I went through this same quest a couple of years ago. The Seagulls played well, but the sound just didn't float my boat. The Martins sounded good, but I ended up going with a Taylor. Even among the Taylors, I sat there for an hour going from 310 to 410 to 614, etc. Even threw in a R Taylor as a "reference".

I found that it depends a lot on your technique. Are you using a flatpick, fingerstyle, with nails or more pads. Are you a chord stummer or a Chet Atkins style? You really have to choose your guitar to match what you play.

Funny thing is, when I'm sitting in the family room in the recliner, I'm more apt to pull out my Dean, with the paper under the 3rd string to stop the fret buzz, and the worn slots in the frets. I love the feel of the neck.

I hate to muddy up the waters but...

Before you decide on an instrument you may want to consider an OM sized guitar over a dreadnaught if recording is your goal. Those smaller bodied guitars record much better for me than my dreads.

Other than that, If it feels good and sounds good it is good. Don't worry too much about the name on the headstock. Just keep looking until you find a guitar you really love and figure out how to pay for it. Considering what you've said you're prepared to spend you shouldn't have any trouble.

Good call Milnoque-one of my band members has an OM thats incredible, I just love the sound and feel of it. And it's amazingly lightweight, they say they always check the case when they take it to a gig because it feels like an empty guitar case!
He plays a lot of fingerstyle and that small body seems great for that style.

im sure this might be s illy question but have you thought about Taylor?

Yeah. That's a silly question. :) But seriously, ?444, if you said the Martin put you in heaven, then you probably won't feel that way about a Taylor. They're apples and oranges.
There are Martin guys and Taylor guys. I happen to be a Martin guy. While I can appreciate a good Taylor, they're not my sound.

Seagulls are incredible for the money, but they are not Martins. I would second the suggestion of buying used. I have a 25+ year old D-35, and there isn't a new instrument that I have played that comes close to it's sound.

I would recommend looking for one of the D-series instruments (as opposed to the newer models designed to give Martin a slice of the lower end price pie) used. Get the right one and it will be heavenly.

Not to take anything away from Taylor, but really, the OP has narrowed it down. What about Taylor?" Well, what ABOUT Taylor? or Tacamini, or Gretsch, or Guild, or Gibson, etc. etc. ad naseum? Again, all due respect to Taylors (overpriced, crappy Martin wannabees that they may be...JK ;) ) and you, too, Milnoque, (you poor, misinformed, tin-eared schmuck:p) but yeah, you ARE muddying up the water...

Ok for the record...

I have a bitser Martin that is made up of prewar and also 1950s parts... It is a D28 and it is also a huge cannon of a guitar!

Now I also have an Eastman AC710 that can be bought brand new for less than $1200 and it just flat out smokes in the studio!

It is a really well made guitar that was done with a lot of hand work, and every aspect of the guitar was well thought out, and the final product sounds amazing. Yeah I have a Martin, I have a Gretsch Rancher that was made in Japan before they shut down the model.

I also have vintage Yamaha FG331- 35 guitars and they all sound amazing.

Guitars are very touchy feely to every player, if you like the Martin... I really don't think you will be let down with it.

I would try and find an Eastman dealer though if I was in your shoes.

Just my 2 cents

The Eastman gets the take in studio, and has the biggest use when I am playing out.

Back