Sanding down a poly neck

Just use one of those green 3m (?) scrub pads to take all the gloss off. That was enough for me on a MIM Tele.

You need something like a belt sander to actually remove thick poly…

And I'm not concerned much with what it looks like afterwards, I just want the gloss off the back of the neck for playability.

Its a bit funny, but I have a few guitars that came with a satin finish on the neck, a Taylor, G&Ls and a Peavey. The necks are now very shiny from playing them.
I wouldn't think of scuffing them up.

I do know of a few people who have done the ScotchBrite treatment on their necks.

I'd be interested to hear how it turns out. One of my Strat necks has a satin finish and it has an excellent feel. If the neck is natural and a bolt on maybe you might think about removing it and sanding it down and spraying on a satin finish,

2 cents worth of......if I knew what I was talking about I'd be rich.

Mick

I've done a few of my necks. I started with 80 grit in an orbital sander to hog off the thick part . Then 120, 180 and 220. I did finish both necks with TruOil and lightly buffed with 0000 steel wool. It works for me.

While I'm not a fan of semi-hollow Fenders (I don't know why), I'm a real sucker for spalted maple!

So what are you going to do to the neck? I'd love to actually reshape mine, but there's not enough wood there to do what I want. I want the old early '50s LP 'baseball bat'.

Last edited:
I have a few baseball bats. They're OK but I prefer a thinner neck. I took the poly off the neck, re-shaped the headstock to Tele style and finished it with TruOil as usual. Top is
stock headstock shape. Next is after I carved on it a bit.
20210726_104112.jpgIMG_0454.JPG

Back