Rumble III, Let's Rock!

Timothy Lawler said:
Lurgan liar, I was just listening to your two solos back to back and was struck with a thought. The styles are pretty much opposites, but there's a sense of the traditional music, or an influence by it, in the way you play the elec gtr. Anybody else hear it?... Maybe I'm just superimposing my own thoughts onto the music. Ha. :D

The whole stylistic influence thing of traditional music - or an older generation's popular music - on someone younger makes me think of the later Lennon/McCartney tunes that have a distinct resemblance in their writing to the pop music of the 40's their parents likely listened to - and they themselves grew up probably thinking was lame. A few White Album songs come to mind like Honey Pie, Obla-di, Goodnight, Martha My Dear, I Will.

Just a thought.

Tim

Thanks Tim...I agree with you...I learned to play Traditional Irish music first ..then taught myself to play the guitar ...so the banjo influenced me a lot...especially the picking technique ....funny enough i'd say i'm better at playing solo's than chords and rhythm guitar ...which is a pity ...because i wish i was a better rhythm guitarist

Edit: Wow just listened to your rumble 3 Tim ...love the L/R effect and the harmonies at the end are excellent ...i've never heard anything quite like that before ...what kind of scale was that ?

Last edited:
Timothy Lawler said:

Square waveform nylon str guitar. :eek: :eek:
Used my Aria Sinsonido nylon str electric DI'd.

Tim

Wow, Tim. Another nice one. Very interesting, and different than your other 2. Really liked it. A little more of a rock feel. The notes seem to flow very well. Cool.
Ed

Timothy Lawler said:

Square waveform nylon str guitar. :eek: :eek:
Used my Aria Sinsonido nylon str electric DI'd.

Tim

Sorta of reminds me of my entry in a way.
Which of course makes me think its awesome.

J/K nice work Tim.
:cool:

Reactions: NL5
xfinsterx said:
Sorta of reminds me of my entry in a way.
Which of course makes me think its awesome.

J/K nice work Tim.
:cool:

they're a little similar, but Tim's entry sounds more "classical", whereas yours sounds like the acoustic solo in Metallica's "One". They're both excellent, though... they make me want to practice the guitar.

Thanks guys.

This time I just did it with first takes on 3 parts and went with some laid back lines that I thought fit the folk-rock style. Really just added a new texture to the accompaniment I think. My main interest was in trying to get a useable sound from my nylon electric which I haven’t recorded before. Tracked it direct and clean but I ended up with a dozen stages of compression and limiting on it in the mix to try and get it to mesh with the backing but still be fairly clear. The high arpeggios near the end are from a real guitar and I like that tone better. Might tinker some more and maybe add a real solo track to it today.

Shiatzu, guess there’s no escaping my core style even when I’m trying to rock… I’ll never get the girls to throw their tube tops at me on the stage. Will have to stick with the serenading under the balcony thing.

Chris, I listened to yours again just now and realize we both used the same ornamental triplet figure moving around the F# at the start of the tune. Yours was first so I should have avoided that!

Lurgan, it’s just a D mixolydian scale in each phrase that has a C major chord in it, and D major in the other phrases… that mixed with some arpeggiated chords near the end using a suspended high D over the changes.

Dogman you’re always supportive. Thanks.

Tim

Reactions: NL5
Hey, TL, that's really nice. I might swipe some of that stuff and add an acoustic in some parts to make it more interesting.

What exactly do you mean by "real" guitar?

Hey, TL, that's really nice. I might swipe some of that stuff and add an acoustic in some parts to make it more interesting.

What exactly do you mean by "real" guitar?

Oops. I stepped in it there didn't I? Didn't mean to disparage electric guitar in general, just my own nylon string elec, which though practical for some things is kind of a "pretend" classical guitar in my mind.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Oops. I stepped in it there didn't I? Didn't mean to disparage electric guitar in general, just my own nylon string elec, which though practical for some things is kind of a "pretend" classical guitar in my mind.

Tim

I thought by "real" you meant steel string electric! :D

I decided not to add another line but instead did a remix to try to get rid of the lower mid mush I had put in there to mask the nylon str electric's splat in its attack. :D It is what it is. Also put back in the arpeggios at the start that I had tracked originally and didn't do the altered repeat of the ending section this time. I like it better.

EDIT: 'Fessing up that I tweaked it again 2 hrs later and think I was finally able to thicken the upper mids of the nylon elec without woofing out the 200-250 Hz range every time it hit the low D. Got so many processors on it that my box was crashing left and right. I've obviously been influenced lately by the Walters-milky-compressor-Specter-wall-of-sound :eek:

Tim

Last edited:
Tim, listened to the remix, and it did sound a bit more even with the backing track. Really liked it. I also re listened to Chris's entry, and even though you guys used some of the same phrasing, they are totally different solo's. Yours reminds me more of a classic rock style, where Chris's solo has a modern rock vibe. I see his coming from the likes of Jerry Cantrell, or Tony from Godsmack. Yours reminds me more of what you might find in a Rod stewert type tune. Someone playing more in the style of Jeff Beck. Just my analysis, but hey, I'm never wrong. Just ask me. :D

I loved em both, and would love to hear more. After this dies down, we will do Rumble 4: The Rumble To Be After All The Previous Rumbles. Or something like that.

Great solo Ocnor. Was struck with the part at :41 where it's kind of like a violin barriolage - a torrent of repeated notes - and with another line moving through it at the same time! :cool:

Tim

Last edited:
Stumbled across this rumble thing. this is awsome. gonna take some time to hear all the players. this is the third one?

j

Insightnsound said:
A melodic approach.

These are the only notes that would go from my brain to my fingers. :D

Nicely done. Fits the tune very well. Kinda of a melody line. I wish I could get some of those notes to go from my brain to my fingers, instead of taking a detour halfway there.
Ed

Back