Rumble III, Let's Rock!

Dogman said:
Ok, I am Rumble Man!!!! Hear me.....uh......make noise?

Hey, not too bad at all!! That is quite nice use of penatonic. Allthou there are some "wrong notes" you sometimes stop to hang around (there isn't really such things thou). Lemme tell you a secret. Only thing that makes note "wrong" is the next note following it :)

To play solo over this tune you need to pretty much use 2 or 3 scales. I mean you can manage through it with only one too, but the tune/chord progressions just begs for more ;)

Dogman, that was some fast fingerwork at :42. Liked the use of the repeating rhythmic motif from the first phrase.

Tim

Kainz said:
Hey, not too bad at all!! That is quite nice use of penatonic. Allthou there are some "wrong notes" you sometimes stop to hang around (there isn't really such things thou). Lemme tell you a secret. Only thing that makes note "wrong" is the next note following it :)

To play solo over this tune you need to pretty much use 2 or 3 scales. I mean you can manage through it with only one too, but the tune/chord progressions just begs for more ;)

Thank you very much Kainz. I was going to edit out all the clunkers, but kept getting more clunkers in their place, so left it as is. I really do need to learn some scales, but have never taken the time. My wife got out a book with some in it, but I haven't studied it yet. Thanks for the props. It's much appreciated.
Ed

Timothy Lawler said:
Dogman, that was some fast fingerwork at :42. Liked the use of the repeating rhythmic motif from the first phrase.

Tim
Thank you very much, Tim. I put more effort into this one, just because I think apl should FINISH this song. :D

I am a terrible lead player, and the only way I can get better, is to try. As I told Kainz, I probably should learn a few scales, so I might just do that soon. My wife practices more than I do, and should probably be the one to enter something here. Appreciate the compliments, as i know I have a lot to learn, but so far EVERYONE here has been very cool to deal with, so I figure I will keep trying.

And apl, sweet tune dude. I really liked all the stuff on your page. You do sound an awful lot like Neil Young, mixed with a bit of Tom Petty. Thanks for the tune.
Ed

apl said:
Wow, finster, now I know I suck. :mad: That's very, very nice. :cool:

And 7string, have you heard me sing? I don't wanna be Neil Young! But it's better than the Beach Boys I suppose... :mad:

It was just that parts of that song reminded me of Cinnamon Girl...

Hmh this tune is actually more fun to solo over than I though :rolleyes:

I didn't actually notice it when doing my solo, I just played heh. I noticed this just now when listened to xfinsterx's and dogman's solos.

I decided to do some small autopsy hehe. Here is how it is basically constructed. I think the first chord was D, hopefully my memory serves me right or else this is gonna be in a wrong key. I'm lazy and don't bother to get that crappy Yamaha from the case. Packed it away already heh.. :o

So letsee:

part A) D - C - Bm - G | D - C - G - C-D-C-D

- Progression is V - IV - iii - I | V - IV - I - IV - V in G-major/e-minor
- Basically solo here G-major/e-minor

Part B) D - A - C - G | D - A - G - C-D-C-D

- Now here it gets a bit more interesing. That A isn't really a part of Gmajor scale. It should be Am instead of A. So you need to solo something else over that. Very natural choice would be A mixolydian or more exotic choise would be lydian (which are the 5th of the D major scale (mixo) or 4th of the E major scale (lydian). So basically just solo over that A chord a D major scale :) ) Otherwise it is again in G-major/e-minor.

Part C) A - A - G - C-D-C-D | D - C - Bm - G | D - C - G - C-D-C-D

- Same stuff as above.

Overall those D chords may be D mixolydians or D ionians (meaning solo Gmajor or Dmajor), depends what sound you want. "Theoretically" it should be mixolydian, but it if sucks play something else over it :D

Lurgan Liar Rumbles again

I LOVE THIS SITE :D

Lurgan Liar Rumble 3

Heres my Rumble 3 guys ....spent about 2 hours doing it

its 4:30 am here so i had to use my Boss GT-6 FX Pedal instead of my amp and mic....so the distortion isn't as good as the Marshall amp but hey its better than a kick in the nuts lol

i am self taught so i don't have a clue about all the theory ...but i find it very interesting and helpful ...Thanks Kainz :)

Anyway here it is ...its a mixture of pentatonics and bluesy stuff lol i honestly haven't a clue ....

Lurgan Liar, excellent work. Filled with unexpected twists and turns and really articulate. Like the two guitars at the end.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Lurgan Liar, excellent work. Filled with unexpected twists and turns and really articulate. Like the two guitars at the end.

Tim

Yeah i know what you mean .........it took several takes to get it sounding the way i liked it ....

This website is really helping me to improve my skills as i am trying to be as sophisticated with my playing as possible while trying to put as much emotion into it as i can

lurgan liar said:

Lurgan Liar Rumble 3

its 4:30 am here so i had to use my Boss GT-6 FX Pedal instead of my amp and mic....so the distortion isn't as good as the Marshall amp but hey its better than a kick in the nuts lol

i am self taught so i don't have a clue about all the theory ...but i find it very interesting and helpful ...Thanks Kainz :)

Anyway here it is ...its a mixture of pentatonics and bluesy stuff lol i honestly haven't a clue ....

Very cool Lurgan. I liked it. Very nasty tone to the guitar, and lots of noise. Wish I could play a bit more like that. Maybe someday....
Ed

Thank you for all your kind words. It actually starts with D - Dsus - D and then walks to a Bm9 - sus - Bm9 part. I swerved into the Bm thing when I was first trying out the Christmas gift amp.

If y'all were auditioning for "APL y Los Juevos Verdes" I'd have to take all y'all. Great, great tones and capturing some most excellent feeling. It's very frustrating, because y'all have raised the bar, and I just don't think I can get there from here.

Last edited:
I decided to do some small autopsy hehe. Here is how it is basically constructed.

I'm hearing the tonality as being in D, starting out in mixolydian, then leaning more towards major with a recap of the mixolydian progression in the last phrase. Doesn't really matter how you label it though, just how it sounds.

Some very good playing here. Apl, your rhythm guitar in the backing track really soars.

Tim

Wrong instrument? I don't care.
It sucks.(see above and bite me.)
I'm a asshole? I've had a lot of lessons.
Am I drunk? (See above and above)

Reactions: XLR
Kainz said:
Hmh this tune is actually more fun to solo over than I though :rolleyes:

I didn't actually notice it when doing my solo, I just played heh. I noticed this just now when listened to xfinsterx's and dogman's solos.

I decided to do some small autopsy hehe. Here is how it is basically constructed. I think the first chord was D, hopefully my memory serves me right or else this is gonna be in a wrong key. I'm lazy and don't bother to get that crappy Yamaha from the case. Packed it away already heh.. :o

So letsee:

part A) D - C - Bm - G | D - C - G - C-D-C-D

- Progression is V - IV - iii - I | V - IV - I - IV - V in G-major/e-minor
- Basically solo here G-major/e-minor

Part B) D - A - C - G | D - A - G - C-D-C-D

- Now here it gets a bit more interesing. That A isn't really a part of Gmajor scale. It should be Am instead of A. So you need to solo something else over that. Very natural choice would be A mixolydian or more exotic choise would be lydian (which are the 5th of the D major scale (mixo) or 4th of the E major scale (lydian). So basically just solo over that A chord a D major scale :) ) Otherwise it is again in G-major/e-minor.

Part C) A - A - G - C-D-C-D | D - C - Bm - G | D - C - G - C-D-C-D

- Same stuff as above.

Overall those D chords may be D mixolydians or D ionians (meaning solo Gmajor or Dmajor), depends what sound you want. "Theoretically" it should be mixolydian, but it if sucks play something else over it :D

Ill have the egg foo yung and a side of egg rolls please.

lurgan liar said:

Lurgan Liar Rumble 3

Rockin stuff man, i dig it.
I liked the triplet rolls too, cool stuff

Timothy Lawler said:
I'm hearing the tonality as being in D, starting out in mixolydian, then leaning more towards major with a recap of the mixolydian progression in the last phrase. Doesn't really matter how you label it though, just how it sounds.

Some very good playing here. Apl, your rhythm guitar in the backing track really soars.

Tim

Indeed it is rather a fun song/progression :)

The A part really is sounding mixolydian, that bm somewat disturbs it. Then in the B part it goes more into a D major sound. Sound leans toward D being the tonic and A as the dominant then that C - G again disturbs a bit heh. Same with that longer A.

The tonality is in D indeed. But I tried to stay out of the modes to give some advice to anyone here who doesn't know those. Like that D mixolydian infact is G major scale. But I find it much easier to think it as a D and mixolydian.

And yes, it really doesn't matter. I mean you really shouldn't think things like this when soloing. It is learn and forget :)

Last edited:
lurgan liar said:

Lurgan Liar Rumble 3

Nice I think you nailed it. This can be a bit tricky to play. You have done your homeworks with that pentatonic/blues, nice :) Wish my guitar would have had such a intonation hehe...

apl said:
Thank you for all your kind words. It actually starts with D - Dsus - D and then walks to a Bm9 - sus - Bm9 part. I swerved into the Bm thing when I was first trying out the Christmas gift amp.

Yeah, I didn't include those "extras", only the basic tones. But hmh Bm9, are you sure? I don't hear the harmonics. :confused:

lbanks said:
Wrong instrument? I don't care.
It sucks.(see above and bite me.)
I'm a asshole? I've had a lot of lessons.
Am I drunk? (See above and above)

Nice, and who cares what the instrument is :p

Back