RMGI 911 Shedding

Yup, as SteveM points out, it's indeed the quote and he was called on it.

Until I hear a single pro say otherwise, have your heads re-lapped and guides turned.

I mean, what the f*ck is with "until I hear a single pro say otherwise"? That's just blatant calling us out as idiots or incompetents!

'nuff said..:rolleyes:

Attachments

• for0362l.jpg
    for0362l.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 64
MCI2424 said something to the effect of "I haven't heard any professionals complain about this tape" which I assume to mean from his subsequent postings professionals who post on other bulletin board systems. But if you can expect this type of response from him why bother getting defensive about it?

Beck has posted in other threads not only that he hasn't tried the tape but that he "refuses to" because he believes that RMGI is overpriced. MCI2424 has posted in previous threads that he has tried the tape on several machines which he maintains and has had no problems. My opinion is that I don't know whether the tape is good or not but I just felt a bit dissapointed that yet another thread got sidetracked like some reality tv show. I think Im gonna dip out for a while.

First of all you have your facts wrong, so you will have to take a few steps back. I was one of the first people here or anywhere else in the US to have the new RMGI 911 and 468, as I was sent tapes from the earliest runs for evaluation directly from Don Morris of RMGI USA.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1491099&postcount=1
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=2459040&postcount=5
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=2460350&postcount=17

Only later was I alarmed and a bit disgusted with RMGI’s strong-arm price control tactics because I thought and still think they are making the sort of management mistakes that the new Quantegy did.

I gave a thumbs up to the formulations after comparing them with my BASF and EMTEC versions of the same tapes… and I said so on this forum. Where have you been?

I am disappointed by the company’s conduct on several fronts. RMGI was priced reasonably until the day Quantegy announced they would discontinue analog tape. Only then did RMGI opportunistically start price gouging.

More importantly the information provided by myself and others here makes anyone’s singular experience with the tape in their possession irrelevant. The reports spontaneously started appearing on forums all over the web, but no one claimed all the tape had problems. RMGI admitted there were problems with some batches and issues using their tape on machines broken in by AMPEX/Quantegy (though I don’t buy that excuse). They were accepting returns of “bad tape” and replacing them with new. That is all anyone with half a brain needs to know.

A poll asking people whether they have had problems with a tape is not a sound survey method, when the manufacturer has already acknowledged a problem. It makes no sense.

Finally, many of us have had it up to here with the person variously known as acorec/Micsales/Quantagee/MCI2424 at one time or another, have we not?

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1523585&postcount=66

Many threads on this bbs and others get “sidetracked.” Everyone has an idea of what this forum should be, and everyone is disappointed to some degree, but no one more so than me.

It’s a judgment call, but if I’m going to go to the trouble of sharing my background and experience here without compensation, I sure as hell am not going to sit here and let the rantings of a know-nothing poser stand unchallenged. I tried that for a while, but it doesn’t work. The faker keeps coming back as the membership changes and he thinks he can find someone to fool.

Contrary to what Mr. Two-inch claims, this is the one forum where claims are scrutinized and urban legend debunked. Well we don’t follow Robert’s Rules of Order… welcome to cyberspace.

If he can still fool you after all this time you might need a break from this forum, but I think layin' off whatever you’re smokin' might do the most good. ;)

By the way, my RMGI does not shed on my machines.

Last edited:
Beck, hang in there my friend ;).

I've been around HR since '99 (different username originally) and I've seen more than my fair share of wannabes, know-it-alls and self professed professionals, most of whom could easily wear the title of village idiot, town clown or frequently, dickhead. This is not to say they may not have a degree of experience, just that they have had their head up their arse for so long that they have lost sight of true reality.

:cool:

my bad beck I had gotten confused when you said you hadn't bought any I assued you hadn't tried it. However my other point still stands. why get riled up when the behavior is predictable? His posts didn't even require any sort of direct response.... by the way it does shed on my machines.

why get riled up when the behavior is predictable? His posts didn't even require any sort of direct response....

You do have a good point and I guess the answer is how much one can stand being continually undermined by an arrogant, self appointed expert. When someone words something like per the above "pro" quote and then replies again with "Go there [prosoundweb.com] and learn something instead of hanging here and passing the same misinformation to newbies", then that further infuriates. It's hard not to reply. Period.

Beck, hang in there my friend ;).

I've been around HR since '99 (different username originally) and I've seen more than my fair share of wannabes, know-it-alls and self professed professionals, most of whom could easily wear the title of village idiot, town clown or frequently, dickhead. This is not to say they may not have a degree of experience, just that they have had their head up their arse for so long that they have lost sight of true reality.

:cool:

Thanks ausrock... well said. :)

my bad beck I had gotten confused when you said you hadn't bought any I assued you hadn't tried it. However my other point still stands. why get riled up when the behavior is predictable? His posts didn't even require any sort of direct response....

Well, I really don’t agree that the post in question did not require a direct response. I base that call on the history we’ve had with this particular member. But IMO this is a no-win situation. The initial problem is the troll, arrogant ass, or what have you. They start it. After that it's up to each member to decide how to respond or not respond… especially on this sort of forum where there is little official moderation. And sometimes we don’t respond but just react because we are tired, or grouchy or have a cold, etc.

You can blame other members if you want for how they respond… that’s up to you. Some members respond by leaving the forum becaue it’s not worth the effort.

In some situations one can ignore the bad eggs like a king would ignore the proverbial children throwing stones at the castle wall. On the other hand there are times when provocation can’t be allowed to stand. That is, if it’s important enough to the members to have a functional forum where one can exchange ideas and learn something without being harassed or mislead, then it’s worth engaging and exposing the trolls.

I believe that with certain types ignoring them only postpones the inevitable conflict, which will be even worse if left alone. It’s like the ember which if ignored develops into an inferno.

If you have a person that just wants to rock the boat they will only rock it harder if they get no reaction.

As many already know, the person currently known as MCI2424 has been banned several times under other user names and this has now gone on for years. This is what is truly ridiculous. People have tried everything… some try to be nice, others try to ignore, and others would like to break some bones at this point. We are all at different places.

So, what to do? I’ve tried various things like ignoring, but I am now at a place where I’m inclined to think I should periodically reintroduce a troll like MCI2424 for the benefit of new members, so they know he is a poser pretending to have background and expertise that he does not; that he has been the chief asshole and saboteur under various user names for years now; that he is not the equal of anyone here and you take his “advice” at your own peril. When he does offer sound advice he only repeats things we have previously said and claims the ideas as his own. And what makes it particularly intolerable is that he has frequently attacked and derided members for having the very views that he later claims are his views and even his original thoughts.

Another thing that I think is really important to differentiate here is that many of us get into debates and step on each other’s toes… and this happens on about every web forum I’ve seen, but I consider those as family squabbles.

In the case of MCI it is not a family squabble. This is classic predatory stalking behavior by someone with nothing but contempt for the forum and its members. In his mind a forum with a name like Home Recording is his best hope to play the expert. I believe he is truly limited by his intellectual capacity to understand that there are veterans of the recording industry and experienced home recordists that have found homes on nearly every music/recording forum on the web. So, he keeps coming back because there are always new members, whom he sees as potential groupies, and I’m sorry to say he has probably fooled a number of people. Many of the older members are a threat to him because he can’t fool us, so he tries to discredit us, even reframing the issue to make us look like the instigators. This is classic, advanced troll behavior.

Why do I care? If I’m going to go to the trouble of participating here I’m not going to plant good seeds only to ignore the weeds. That approach to gardening is an exercise in futility. :)

Here is my POV. Why cannibalize a dead thread? It has already been bastardized beyond recognition and needs to die. If this is how this thread (or ones like it) is going to continue, somebody needs to rename it and/or move it to an appropriate area.

I can appreciate the passionate responses in regards to what has been posted here, but, it's not part of the topic anymore. Now it has become a question of a person's credibility. It gets a little mundane when one sees that there is a response to a topic only to find out it is pointless (to the thread) bantering and bickering.

I don't mean to offend anyone or get anyone upset. It just that sometimes it's more beneficial to let it go.;)

Well, I really don’t agree that the post in question did not require a direct response. I base that call on the history we’ve had with this particular member. But IMO this is a no-win situation. The initial problem is the troll, arrogant ass, or what have you. They start it. After that it's up to each member to decide how to respond or not respond… especially on this sort of forum where there is little official moderation. And sometimes we don’t respond but just react because we are tired, or grouchy or have a cold, etc.

You can blame other members if you want for how they respond… that’s up to you. Some members respond by leaving the forum becaue it’s not worth the effort.

In some situations one can ignore the bad eggs like a king would ignore the proverbial children throwing stones at the castle wall. On the other hand there are times when provocation can’t be allowed to stand. That is, if it’s important enough to the members to have a functional forum where one can exchange ideas and learn something without being harassed or mislead, then it’s worth engaging and exposing the trolls.

I believe that with certain types ignoring them only postpones the inevitable conflict, which will be even worse if left alone. It’s like the ember which if ignored develops into an inferno.

If you have a person that just wants to rock the boat they will only rock it harder if they get no reaction.

As many already know, the person currently known as MCI2424 has been banned several times under other user names and this has now gone on for years. This is what is truly ridiculous. People have tried everything… some try to be nice, others try to ignore, and others would like to break some bones at this point. We are all at different places.

So, what to do? I’ve tried various things like ignoring, but I am now at a place where I’m inclined to think I should periodically reintroduce a troll like MCI2424 for the benefit of new members, so they know he is a poser pretending to have background and expertise that he does not; that he has been the chief asshole and saboteur under various user names for years now; that he is not the equal of anyone here and you take his “advice” at your own peril. When he does offer sound advice he only repeats things we have previously said and claims the ideas as his own. And what makes it particularly intolerable is that he has frequently attacked and derided members for having the very views that he later claims are his views and even his original thoughts.

Another thing that I think is really important to differentiate here is that many of us get into debates and step on each other’s toes… and this happens on about every web forum I’ve seen, but I consider those as family squabbles.

In the case of MCI it is not a family squabble. This is classic predatory stalking behavior by someone with nothing but contempt for the forum and its members. In his mind a forum with a name like Home Recording is his best hope to play the expert. I believe he is truly limited by his intellectual capacity to understand that there are veterans of the recording industry and experienced home recordists that have found homes on nearly every music/recording forum on the web. So, he keeps coming back because there are always new members, whom he sees as potential groupies, and I’m sorry to say he has probably fooled a number of people. Many of the older members are a threat to him because he can’t fool us, so he tries to discredit us, even reframing the issue to make us look like the instigators. This is classic, advanced troll behavior.

Why do I care? If I’m going to go to the trouble of participating here I’m not going to plant good seeds only to ignore the weeds. That approach to gardening is an exercise in futility. :)

Tha facts are that polling the pros means (to mne) asking people who are forced and know how to maintain their machines on a daily basis. 2" has not hing at all to do with this as all tape widths come from the same reel sheet. You are just bashing RMG, me and anyone else who disagrees with you. I really could care less what you think of me or RMG, but you are just making things impossible for people who are trying to record here. Your facts are old and RMG has fixed issues (having nothing whatsoever to do with 456 formula) and all people I have talked with, and my own personal experience {with 1/2" and now 2" reels) proves to me there is nothing wrong with RMG tape. In fact, the stuff blows away Quantagy in a big way. I just recently aligned my machine for it and love the sound of this tape.

Keep pointing people to old abused eBay shit and you can own all of it for all I care. I will support RMG (the only tape mfger left) and you can show all how you talk out both sides of your mouth at the same time.

You were the one crying like a baby to all about "saving" Quantagy and now you turn and try to kill RMG.

You are a hypocrite and that is a fact.

RMG is better tape that Quantagy could ever dream of, and the price is just about right given the fuck'in rediculous prices of cars and houses.

Keep spewing your shit 'cause I am sure you have your ass kissing buddies who will always follow you. You are always right. :D

Here is my POV. Why cannibalize a dead thread? It has already been bastardized beyond recognition and needs to die. If this is how this thread (or ones like it) is going to continue, somebody needs to rename it and/or move it to an appropriate area.

I can appreciate the passionate responses in regards to what has been posted here, but, it's not part of the topic anymore. Now it has become a question of a person's credibility. It gets a little mundane when one sees that there is a response to a topic only to find out it is pointless (to the thread) bantering and bickering.

I don't mean to offend anyone or get anyone upset. It just that sometimes it's more beneficial to let it go.;)

It is not about tape, it is about assholes. End of discussion. If people here can't see Beck is an asshole, live with it. I refuse to let the assmunch get his way. He has chased enough good people from here. I have many e-mails to prove it. I generally talk to a bunch here by-way of e-mail because they are sick of Beck and Dr. Zee. I don't care about them and will help anyone who needs help if I have experience that can benefit them. The rest is just BS.

In fact, the stuff blows away Quantagy in a big way.

RMG is better tape that Quantagy could ever dream of, and the price is just about right given the fuck'in rediculous prices of cars and houses.

I have to take notice to this one point....that this is merely opinion...I think the RMGI sound is inferior, and that the tape seems flimsier, and doesn't smell as good. :D But its all we've got.

I have to take notice to this one point....that this is merely opinion...I think the RMGI sound is inferior, and that the tape seems flimsier, and doesn't smell as good. :D But its all we've got.

True, it doesn't smell as good as Quantegy. IMO, It's a toss-up between Quantegy and Maxell in the smell department.

That is good to know and why this BBS has so many people giving their experiences. People can learn and tread ahead with several opinions so that they may not be surprised or disappointed in the performance of any product.

What works for some, doesn't work for all.

Please try again.

Remember not to use any commas in the number, and to use years between 1800 and 2006. ;)

Nope. I did. It is still right. $62.oo per reel is the same as $31.00 per reel back in 1982.

Thanks for playing!

(If you really can't understand, pleas click on the link and follow the directions. You will be set straight and PLEASE stop handing people mis-information as to the "high" cost of RMG tape. We are kind'a sick of it

Thanks)

Nope. I did. It is still right. $62.oo per reel is the same as $31.00 per reel back in 1982.

Thanks for playing!

(If you really can't understand, pleas click on the link and follow the directions. You will be set straight and PLEASE stop handing people mis-information as to the "high" cost of RMG tape. We are kind'a sick of it

Thanks)

Oi!

Once again you are trying to solve a puzzle as an outsider.

Working knowledge of economics is not a mouse click away, nor is knowledge of recording or the recording industry. There are no one-size-fits-all inflation calculators. Every industry has unique dynamics that contribute to the cost of an end-product.

As I clearly explained in another thread, the most pertinent economic issue is not the difference in tape prices from 30 years ago and now but the sudden and unprecedented rise in tape prices overnight. No one familiar with economics or the tape industry could possibly miss it. Thus you have a double handicap in trying to sort this out on your own.

Tape costs have increased by 50% since last year and 67% since late 2004.

When a company abuses its position they don’t need a cheering section; they need people to hold them accountable, or we all lose. Many learned that lesson too late with Quantegy. You didn’t learn it at all.

And who is, "We?" How many people do you have in there anyway? "My name is legion for we are many?"... yeah that's what I thought.

Source?

Mark 5:9

6 And seeing Jesus afar off, he ran and adored him. 7 And crying with a loud voice, he said: What have I to do with thee, Jesus the Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God that thou torment me not. 8 For He said unto him: Go out of the man, thou unclean spirit. 9 And He asked him: What is thy name? And he saith to Him: My name is Legion, for we are many.

Beck said:
knowledge ... is not a mouse click away....
references are, though
what more can one ask for?
click click click - and pHD is in your pocket, I mean on your wall...
;)

Oi!

Once again you are trying to solve a puzzle as an outsider.

Working knowledge of economics is not a mouse click away, nor is knowledge of recording or the recording industry. There are no one-size-fits-all inflation calculators. Every industry has unique dynamics that contribute to the cost of an end-product.

As I clearly explained in another thread, the most pertinent economic issue is not the difference in tape prices from 30 years ago and now but the sudden and unprecedented rise in tape prices overnight. No one familiar with economics or the tape industry could possibly miss it. Thus you have a double handicap in trying to sort this out on your own.

Tape costs have increased by 50% since last year and 67% since late 2004.

When a company abuses its position they don’t need a cheering section; they need people to hold them accountable, or we all lose. Many learned that lesson too late with Quantegy. You didn’t learn it at all.

And who is, "We?" How many people do you have in there anyway? "My name is legion for we are many?"... yeah that's what I thought.

Source?

Mark 5:9

6 And seeing Jesus afar off, he ran and adored him. 7 And crying with a loud voice, he said: What have I to do with thee, Jesus the Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God that thou torment me not. 8 For He said unto him: Go out of the man, thou unclean spirit. 9 And He asked him: What is thy name? And he saith to Him: My name is Legion, for we are many.

You are making no sense at all. How exactly, is RMG "abusing" it's pricing structure? Without knowing a single thing about their production/shipping/marketing costs, you come here with a blanket statement like this?

Dude, inflation affects EVERYTHING INCLUDING tape. RMG, being the last tape manufacturer, should be supported by you analog guys. You can cry about this moot point all you want, buy when they are gone, they are gone. You come here bashing RMG and expect people to actually stop buying tape?

You are what is wrong with this industry. Out of one side of your mouth you scream that tape manufacturers have left us stranded, and out of the other side of your mouth you bash and want people to stop buying tape until they meet "your price".

You are truly (as someone actually said it here) a backstabber and are constantly changing your point of view to suite your mood.

RMG should be supported (I buy it) and not allowed to kill the last product you and I use. Prices are what they are and if you want tape, you have to pay.

And BTW; Please stop the slippery slope endings you use. Stick to the subject of the thread, answer questions and stop the "And so the bible said" type endings. They are very tiresome.

Back