RMGI 911 Shedding

Could you please post a list of pros so we can listen for them too? After all life has its little surprises… you might get hit and killed by a bus right after you hear a pro say he had some sticky RMGI. Then we will never know.

Is it true that pros have horns on their heads and grind little Protestant children into sausage? They scare me.

'Cmon MCI, who are the mysterious "pros" you keep hinting about? Do they wear white lab coats and a stethescope around their neck? Are they from around here or do they reside in a galaxy, far, far way? Do tell! :confused::D;)

Attachments

• tn_Star_Wars-one-sheet_L-01.jpg
    tn_Star_Wars-one-sheet_L-01.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 96
Could you please post a list of pros so we can listen for them too? After all life has its little surprises… you might get hit and killed by a bus right after you hear a pro say he had some sticky RMGI. Then we will never know.

Is it true that pros have horns on their heads and grind little Protestant children into sausage? They scare me.

Go to pro sound web. Fletcher, amongst a few others have no problem with RMG tape. I have no problem with RMG tape. If you have a problem with RMG tape, your deck is in need if reapair.

'Cmon MCI, who are the mysterious "pros" you keep hinting about? Do they wear white lab coats and a stethescope around their neck? Are they from around here or do they reside in a galaxy, far, far way? Do tell! :confused::D;)

See post above. Go there and learn something instead of hanging here and passing the same misinformation to newbies.

Fix your deck.

I think I speak for everyone when I say MCI2424 should probably be our only contact to the “Professionals.” If we have any questions for them we’ll just ask him and can tell us what they said. Sort of like the high priest that can go into The Holy of Holies. We’ll just wait in the outer temple area where we belong and read People magazine or something.

For those that don't already know, "Pro" is short for professional (pro·fes·sion·al). They put pro in the name of the website at Pro Sound Web (PSW), which was nice of them to do. The Web has some order after all.

I first became aware of this sort of order in the universe watching Walt Disney’s Pinocchio and the character called “Honest John.” We knew he was honest because he called himself Mr. Honest John. That was helpful.

There were some gasps and a few tears in the theater when Pinocchio started growing donkey ears and a tail on Pleasure Island, but I for one wasn’t moved. One of the girls in my kindergarten class wet her pants and her mom had to take her home. But I kept a stiff upper lip and had faith in Mr. Honest John because he was honest. Even though I was very young I picked up on that right away…because of the name – Mr. Honest John. My older sister said I was a good judge of character.

So now if I see a music forum with a name like “Fred’s Sound Web” I know right away there could be no pros there. And if someone has a user ID inspired by a professional piece of gear I know right away that person must really know their shit, and are probably even full of it… knowledge, that is.

I’m sure there is some kind of Internet rule that you can’t have a user ID like that or claim to be and know things you aren’t and don’t. So I feel pretty safe letting MCI2424 handle it when it gets really, really deep.

I would do it but I don't know the secret handshake.

Last edited:
So now if I see a music forum with a name like “Fred’s Sound Web” I know right away there could be no pros there. And if someone has a user ID inspired by a professional piece of gear I know right away that person must really know their shit, and are probably even full of it… knowledge, that is.

Hmm, maybe there's something to it!:D;)

Attachments

• 24489_1156.jpg
    24489_1156.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 80
As long as you haven't repeated anything from MCI2424 I can't think of anything either. :)

... :D:D ...

BTW, there must be a positive correlation between the 2" format and arrogance.:cool:

Last edited:
... :D:D ...

BTW, there must be a positive correlation between the 2" format and arrogance.:cool:

I’ve noticed a definite correlation between the 2” format and insecurity. That is, people believing the high-end equipment they own (or pretend to own) has something to do with knowledge, experience, abilities or success.

Back in the day hardly anyone I knew owned anything… we went to work in other people’s pro studios and came back home at night to our 3340s or portastudios if we had anything at all. As for working on your own projects, messing around with stuff after hours at the studio was more like it (Whether you were supposed to be there or not). :D

Possessing equipment means nothing in and of itself. In fact I remember when most people’s equipment belonged to the bank. No one at the bank seemed to know anything about music production or how to use the recording equipment. :confused:

As an Artist/musician/engineer/producer one’s most important assets are the things one knows, not the things one owns (or pretends to own). ;)

A 2” something or other and racks full of blah, blah, blah mean nothing. Behind all that smoke and fire you will find a little faker every time. :cool:

Attachments

• great_powerful.jpg
    great_powerful.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I suddenly feel even more grateful for the stuff I have, after reading your post, Tim. No taking anything for granted. What I could always use more of, however, is the skills as a musician and recordist and time, by far.

wow dude....it turned into another mci2424-bashing thread. can I just point out here that MCI simply stated his first-hand opinion of the tape while some if the others here have not even ever used it!!! yet they are taking positions of superior knowledge in this thread!! I have tried to stay out but this is ridiculous. I dont try to argue the merits or non-mertis of gear I've never used and if I've never used it I dont personally attack people who have! Why claim to have superior 'knowledge' if you've never used the tape?

I've got a fresh pancake of the stuff in my hands. As soon as I get it leadered up and the heads demag'd I'll let you know what I come across. Granted, it's only 1/4", but it all comes from the same batches.

can I just point out here that MCI simply stated his first-hand opinion of the tape while some if the others here have not even ever used it!!! yet they are taking positions of superior knowledge in this thread!! I have tried to stay out but this is ridiculous. I dont try to argue the merits or non-mertis of gear I've never used and if I've never used it I dont personally attack people who have! Why claim to have superior 'knowledge' if you've never used the tape?

Sure, you can state your opinion concerning any thread or post from whatever angle you’re seeing it at the moment, just like anyone else does.

- What makes you think MCI has first-hand knowledge?
- Which “others” do not have first-hand knowledge and are “taking positions of superior knowledge?”

...it turned into another mci2424-bashing thread.

No, it was MCI who turned this into a patronizing thread, behaving in a condescending manner toward some if not all of the members here by way of his statement. [Not an isolated incident]. If you have not picked up on it then there's nothing further that I can say. I personally do not tolerate such a manner of communication. To suggest that this is "another MCI2424 bashing thread" is being rather unfair. He brought it on himself. He's hardly a victim.

MCI2424 said something to the effect of "I haven't heard any professionals complain about this tape" which I assume to mean from his subsequent postings professionals who post on other bulletin board systems. But if you can expect this type of response from him why bother getting defensive about it? Beck has posted in other threads not only that he hasn't tried the tape but that he "refuses to" because he believes that RMGI is overpriced. MCI2424 has posted in previous threads that he has tried the tape on several machines which he maintains and has had no problems. My opinion is that I don't know whether the tape is good or not but I just felt a bit dissapointed that yet another thread got sidetracked like some reality tv show. I think Im gonna dip out for a while.

Until I hear a single pro say otherwise, have your heads re-lapped and guides turned.

I think this is where the reactions arise from Falken. :D

To me it's just funny but I can see why someone would wanna call him on it.

Back