Rick Beato, one of the cool youtubers 4 sure

Dude is smart enough to know that he has to stick to topics his viewers will watch. He can't be equal-opportunity.

The people that like what he does watch and subscribe to him.

The ones that don’t, don’t

It’s his channel. He can do what he wants.

What’s that old saying? You can’t please everyone.

Judging by his subs and view numbers, I’d say he’s pleasing a bunch.

Watched the one with Michael McDonald last night. Liked it. Beato as usual mostly shut up and let him speak, tell his story. MM is one of those guys who doesn't sing like he speaks, iconic vocal capability. He talked some about the head voice thing. Easier said than done. Personally, sometimes it works better than others. Good tool to have, though. He looks old, weird looking, all the handsome gone. I suppose none of us are as young and handsome as we used to be. His head voice is odd, amazing, it often sounds like his real voice, throaty and gutteral. I don't know how he does that, gets that balance, I wish they had talked more about it. Maybe it's something you can't particularly put into words.

I like watching Beato, except when I don't and decide to watch something else.

It's weird. I know I'm in the minority and I know the man has talent. You don't get hired by Steely Dan, the Doobie Bros., and everyone else without having massive talent.

Having said that, I can't fucking stand MM's voice. I just don't get what people like about it. It sounds like someone trying to sing while suffocating. It doesn't sound natural, and I think he ruined the Doobie Brothers.

Other than that, he's awesome. :D

It's weird. I know I'm in the minority and I know the man has talent. You don't get hired by Steely Dan, the Doobie Bros., and everyone else without having massive talent.

Having said that, I can't fucking stand MM's voice. I just don't get what people like about it. It sounds like someone trying to sing while suffocating. It doesn't sound natural, and I think he ruined the Doobie Brothers.

Other than that, he's awesome. :D
I tend to agree. I respect and appreciate his talent. His vocal styling is not really my thing.

Fagan hired MM because he could sing high harmony (according to MM). Christopher Cross used him also in that regard. Like or dislike his vocal style, MM brought the best out of the Doobie Brothers (post Tom Johnston). Geez, I read a few days ago that the Brothers are recording a new album with MM for the first time in 44 years.

Yeah, I get it. In a way at least for me it's sort of the ability to do those things than the actual sound produced. Hearing and knowing it's a head voice while at the same time there's a gutteral almost growl....htf he do that? Spring boarding off the Beato interview I watched some MM and Kenny Loggins performing together. Of course their voices/vocal delivery is dissimilar, but after Loggins would sing MM would take a verse or something. Whenever recorded, he still had it, the control, the soulfulness, but it sounded muffled, like someone was holding a pillow over his face. Which, you know, n a matter of opinion might be some's wet dream. Heh.

I don't know about ruining the Doobie Brothers. Given Tom Johnston's health problems back in the day, it could be argued he saved the Doobie Brothers. It was a totally different dynamic, impressive the other guys in the group had the chops and ability to adapt. I kind of like some of that stuff, What A Fool Believes. It was the guest appearances that got kind of annoying...wtf, is that f-ing Michael McDonald...again?! That Christopher Cross song, for instance.

I don't know about ruining the Doobie Brothers.
Of course. I've been known to exaggerate. :D I don't think he ruined anything. I just don't like the musical direction they took (Give me "China Grove" and "Black Water" any day of the week). I don't own a Yacht.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, China Grove, Black Water, just shoot me. I don't care if I never hear those again. Of course I have been wrong before, pretty cool to rediscover music. Was that way with Bob Seger for quite a long time.

Anyway, maybe getting off course of the subject matter. Apologies.

Okay, since we're going off on tangents yet staying on topic....When, when is Beato going to interview sax and keys guy who later joined the Doobies, Cornelius Bumpus? I mean c'mon, the name alone deserves some recognition. Cornelius Bumpus.

Am disappoint.

If that's the best of the Doobies, I'll take the worst. :)
Hold my beer.
Mick mentioned What A Fool Believes. In prep for recording, Simmons and the bros struggled with the timing of the song for about 8 hours until they finally understood what MM was teaching them. It was different for them. It won a Grammy. Whodathunk that would happen? MM is a talent. It'll be interesting to hear what he and the brothers do together again.

Back