Rick Beato, one of the cool youtubers 4 sure

His interviews are great. He does one thing that too many interviewers aren't able to do, which is shut up and listen.

I love his "What Makes This Song Great' series, although it seems to have gone from a detailed breakdown of the song to "Watch me play all the parts to this song".

Yeah I know what he calls them. I just watched one with someone who said that he liked Beato's approach and Beato said that he tried to have discussions as opposed to scripted question interviews. It was either Brian May or one of the Police. Don't remember. I watched all of them last week.

He does one thing that too many interviewers aren't able to do, which is shut up and listen
He can do. But he's still prone to interrupting at times. However, I dig him nonetheless.
I love his "What Makes This Song Great' series, although it seems to have gone from a detailed breakdown of the song to "Watch me play all the parts to this song"
I know what you mean. But I think that's due to those blocks that get put on music. Once in a while though, his playing the instrument is quite interesting. I'd rather hear the real thing though.
Have you ever watched a guy called Robert Cassard who has just started a similar thing called "Blow up the song." ? He's kind of interesting in the way he breaks down the song.
[It was either Brian May] or one of the Police
I got arrested by a couple of them, once. Got strip-searched, had to part the butt-cheeks, and everything.

It was a true story from summer '83.
I blame Stewart Copeland for naming his band the Police. It guaranteed crummy jokes and puns for evermore and then some. On this occasion, what I should have told was the one where I went for a job interview and when asked if I had a police record, I said "Two, 'Outlandos D'amour' and 'Ghost in the Machine !'"
I got the job !!

I used to like Rick, now I can't stomach him. The main reason is that I've come to notice that Rick has complete bias against certain Classic Rock bands that he will never mention.
He also ignores talented new Rock bands and music, but will play and critique the latest Top 10 Rap crap that we already know is crap. How enlightening. :facepalm:
He constantly pushes his Beato Book, which is annoying. He did videos of his own kid, on how he has "perfect pitch" and that was just weird. I don't think he's a bad guy, and he has a wealth of knowledge. I just can't deal with how pompous and full of himself that he's become, and makes a conscious choice to ignore a lot of great content and awesome bands. Yet, he has no problem pushing obscure Jazz stuff from the 50's and 60's. I un-subscribed when he hit 4M. He's become the epitome of the "Hey, Boomer" persona and he doesn't need me anymore and I don't need him. :D

I used to like Rick, now I can't stomach him. The main reason is ....
I can't argue with anything you said. I probably don't "hate" him as much as you do, but I see everything you're talking about.

The thing that turned me off the most about him was when he was doing a live stream once, and the news came in that someone died. I think it was Little Richard. Now, I don't expect him to break down and cry, but all he said was "Oh, Little Richard just died. I'll have to do a video about him"....and then just kept on going with his live stream. It definitely gave me a glimpse into his self-absorbedness, if that's a word.

I can't argue with anything you said. I probably don't "hate" him as much as you do, but I see everything you're talking about.
Well, I certainly don't hate him. Here's just one example of why I got tired of him. He did one of his typical "Top 20" videos, the one titled "Top 20 Vocal Intros of All Time".
Now, the very first song I thought of was Tommy Shaw in the Styx song Renegade... "Oh, mama I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law". I mean, it's a friggin' classic vocal intro that lasts 40 seconds before the music even starts! Yet, he chose Hey Jude that has only ONE WORD before the music begins. Really???
I mentioned it in the comments section, and there were hundreds of other people who said the same thing. People were literally shocked at the omission from the list. But Rick has consistently ignored Styx (as well as other well known bands) as if he has a personal beef with them or something. That's just the start of when I began to notice his bias (or ignorance?) and his self-absorbedness, as you put it. Once I found myself not giving a shit about his opinions anymore, I didn't bother to check out any new content from him. So, my decision to un-subscribe was long overdue.

Well, I certainly don't hate him. Here's just one example of why I got tired of him. He did one of his typical "Top 20" videos, the one titled "Top 20 Vocal Intros of All Time".
Now, the very first song I thought of was Tommy Shaw in the Styx song Renegade... "Oh, mama I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law".
Undoutedly one of the best vocal intros.
Once I found myself not giving a shit about his opinions anymore, I didn't bother to check out any new content from him. So, my decision to un-subscribe was long overdue.
It's a shame that we can't also un-subscribe to the opinions of politicians.

It's a shame that we can't also un-subscribe to the opinions of politicians.
It would probably make things worse. People would only un-subscribe from the politician they want to disagree with, and keep listening to the guy that tells them what they want to hear.....oh wait....that's exactly what's already happening. :eek:

....and that applies to both "sides" (of the same coin), whether anyone wants to admit it or not. :)

Bands like Styx and eagles scan YouTube for unlicensed use of their music. If he uses any of their songs, the video will get demonitized and/or taken down.

Bands like Styx and eagles scan YouTube for unlicensed use of their music. If he uses any of their songs, the video will get demonitized and/or taken down.
Which seems misguided in the case of someone like Rick since he's promoting and paying homage to them.

Even if that weren't the reason he avoids doing certain bands I wouldn't bypass the great content he does have just because his tastes and mine don't completely coincide. When's the last time he featured music by Doc Severinsen or any horn player?

I'm pretty sure he did something on the band Chicago, they have horn players...
But Rick is pretty rock-centric.

Eagles.... Definitely... Don Henley in particular.
Prince? Definitely (at least he did when he was alive)
Styx?... NO, they absolutely do not.
The artists/bands who do strikes use a service called WebSheriff.
But, Rick posts his own personally played shortened versions of that music to get around copyright strikes.
Beato just hates or ignores certain bands, that's all there is to it.

Last edited:
Back