Reel Motor Bearing Puller

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
I was just looking at the total number of threads on this fourm. It seemed low and it is a cool forum so I thought I'd fortify with what offerings I have. Hopefully they can be useful.

I'm much more confortable with mechanical things...I've gotten a lot of help on this forum and over in the Analog Only forum getting comfortable with the electrical stuff, basic, and not so basic. :p:o

Anyway, when I got my Tascam 58 a couple years ago the nose bearing on the supply reel motor was bad. I pulled the motor expecting it to be easy to pull the bearing, but the bearings are cemented onto the shaft, so I made a puller out of some spare hardware in the shop and the steering wheel puller for my Chevy Suburban (these are pretty cheap at a local chain auto parts store).

I took a large thick washer, used a hacksaw to cut out a section of the "O" to make it a "C" shape, and then drilled and tapped two holes for the long cap screws that snug the washer up against the back side of the bearing. With a little pressure the bearing would pop off.

Here is a picture of the puller:

Reel%20Motor%20Bearing%20Puller%20%231.jpg

Here is the puller going to work on the bearing:

Reel%20Motor%20Bearing%20Puller%20%232.jpg

I suggest that if you do this, when you resintall the new/replacement bearing that you apply some loctite to the shaft and bearing hub. I believe the cement originally applied reduces noise.

Back